Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this a bad idea?

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Tomorrow, I may have an opportunity to purchase something as a gift, on behalf of my parents. It could be something pretty big like a new hat (well, not too pricy anyway), or another leather jacket (I only own one, Sporty's G-1). I'm leaning towards another jacket for some reason.

I don't want to break the bank, so I may very well be going cheap with this one. It turns out that on Amazon, they're selling this:

http://www.amazon.com/Mens-Open-Bot...arel&qlEnable=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1304579213&sr=1-5

I am actually after an open-bottom, no-cuff style of jacket, and this lighter brown color looks pretty good. I do want something lighter than the dark seal, almost black brown I've got with my G-1. The color I'm thinking of here is the distressed tawny brown.

The price seems good and all, but my only problem is, they only label it "leather," not lambskin, goatskin, or cowhide, etc... Is this any good, or no? Should I reconsider, even if I'm just thinking about buying an inexpensive jacket? My budget is about this range, maybe no more than $150.00 highest.

Hmm, in a way, it kind of reminds me of Arthur's jacket from Inception, but less fitted...

feature_inception2-med.jpg

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The customer reviews are helpful, especially this one:This is made by St. John's Bay, a common brand at nation-wide department store. The quality is no-frills basic-grade leather, and the price at $99 is probably more than you'll find locally on sale. It has a lightweight quilted button-out liner with polyester-fill. No separate sewn-on cuffs, but the sleeves taper with use of a single metal button/snap, allowing some non-customizable tightening at the wrist. Size large was comparable to other large coats in our closet, with a 34-35 inch sleeve. Not unhappy with purchase, but no extraordinary deal or quality. It may be more helpful to look at it in your local store and buy locally.

It's a shame there are no actual sizes in inches as L, XL etc are open to interpretation.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Hmm, yeah, I just read that, thanks. I think this style of jacket is something I'd be comfortable wearing a tie with, too. Not that I do it too often, but there are days that I do sometimes.

Seawolf

Familiar Face
I think the fact that they couldn't even bother to take different photos of the different colors they offer, speaks volumes about their quality and lack of attention to detail. Don't believe me? Check out the funny fold on the model's right cuff. For $100 of your parent's money, you should get something that will last longer than a cheap leather jacket. Just my two cents.

Philalethes

A-List Customer
That is very nice of your parents. I suspect it is a graduation present. If so, congratulations.

The price seems good and all, but my only problem is, they only label it "leather," not lambskin, goatskin, or cowhide, etc...

One of the reviews states that it is not lambskin, so I would guess it is cowhide.

I would consider whether you may return the jacket if if doesn't fit or is not truly to your liking. You may be happy with it though: I am pleased with a suede jacket I paid only $45 for. Not all of our leather jacket purchases have to be Aero.

Here is another option, if you can find an extra $50: U.S. Wings is having a $195 sale on some of their Indy jackets, which don't have cuffs - although, of course, you will not find the same tan color.

nicholasb

One of the Regulars
I was thinking the same thing about the US Wings $195 deal. Its another option. You can't tell too much about a jacket from a website unless someone else can recommend - which is why this place is so good. As Philalethes said - you could check out their policy on returns and then take a gamble or email them with any questions.

JanSolo

Practically Family
Looks like pigskin. Will at Aero doesn't even consider this as "leather". Buy something pre-owned or save your money and buy something off Gibson&Barnes' sales page. There are some nice jackets to be had at really low prices. And the quality is much higher than the usual stuff you can buy online. Have you considered a Wested jacket?

Edward

Bartender
Jan is, as usual, on the money.... I was thinking Wested when I saw this too. I bought a used one recently on the 'Bay, worn twice, mint condition, for about half the new price. They crop up regularly on eBay, and in smaller sizes they aren't expensive. Numbered sizing; mine is an OTR 42 (my own size) and exactly the 'right' fit for the accurate Jones look. I was specifically looking for a Wested for two reasons. For one, I've long wanted a (reasonably accurate) Indy jacket in my collection, but didn't want to spend Aero-type money on it. Secondly, I wanted a lightish leather jacket with open cuffs and bottom that I could wear on cooler, damp days and evenings in the Summer, one I could take wherever and not worry about too much. This is perfect for both. Now, I specifically avoided a lambskin model: others are very happy with theirs, I just wanted something a little more durable. Mine is the Wested goat, and I am very happy with it. I have two goatskin Aeros - one A2, one AN6552. The hide on the Aero is just that little bit nicer, and the jackets just feel that little bit more luxurious overall, but for what it is I am very impressed with the Wested. I think I'd be happy with it had I paid full price too (though if I was going new, while I'm very happy with the fit of this one, I'd pay the nominal extra charge for a made to measure jacket).

Mmnn.... now I think about it, though, the one problem with the Wested is that it is in seal.... I know they have done them in other colours before now (I'm sure I've even seen a black one), but as they far and away sell the vast majority of their Indy jackets to the cosplay crowd, you'd struggle to fine a used one in russett. It might be that a leather jacket isn't the best option for this particular gift... you might be better to wait and spend a bit more on a used Aero or similar at a later stage than buying a jacket that isn't quite what you want at this point because it is within budget. Also, unless I've got it wrong, you're still quite young, so maybe if this is a significant milestone present something like a hat or a good fountain pen that you won't grow out of in five or six years might be a better option as its soething you will always have? Just a thought.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Thank you for your opinions. I didn't think that this jacket would be all that impressive, and it doesn't specify the type of leather used. But as I've said, this was meant to be a gift if I received particularly good grades on an exam. It looks like I really blew it this time, despite the exam being the one I spent the most time preparing for. It's just about a given that I may even fail the class... It's a disaster, I tried taking a math class last semester too, but did even worse. I'm going on a forum hiatus until next month, to try to get my life back in order. If anybody's wondering, I'm an very poor statistics student that's got hell to pay if I don't pass. It's supposed to be my last junior college semester before I transfer, and I've been accepted into three universities, all of which may reject me if I'm unable to pass this class to fulfill the transfer requirement. Sad thing is, I get A's and B's otherwise in all my other classes. I'm not particularly gifted in mathematics.

Sorry for the rant, maybe that was unnecessary.

Let me tell you something - I just got two jackets from USWINGS and they were for beaters. I got them last night, and I have to say, especially for the sale price, they're damn nice!
Check this out: http://www.uswings.com/ijhero.asp
This cowhide is nice. The jackets are well-made, and the service fantastic. Can't recommend them enough. I got an A2 and G1.
These are excellent for what they are. Then, save up for an Aero, G&B, etc.
Good luck.

Let me tell you something - I just got two jackets from USWINGS and they were for beaters. I got them last night, and I have to say, especially for the sale price, they're damn nice!
Check this out: http://www.uswings.com/ijhero.asp
This cowhide is nice. The jackets are well-made, and the service fantastic. Can't recommend them enough. I got an A2 and G1.
These are excellent for what they are. Then, save up for an Aero, G&B, etc.
Good luck.

Dumba** me! I see someone else put at info in early in the thread. Sorry about that, but hey two recommendations are better!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
John Frum