Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this jacket accurately dated?

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
To your questions on pricing, it's a very complicated subject, but in the end it is simply a question is it worth it to you, and can you afford it.

Who knows how people arrive at the price they put on a thing they're selling? You can't trust the seller to know a fair value, or even if they do, to offer at that value.

I think sellers look around and do some reckoning. Is it common? If so, what do others have theirs listed for? If not, how do you compare it to similar enough items? What's the condition? Does it make the item more desirable or more rare? Is it in a desirable size, or is it a size that narrows the potential buyer down to a few people? Do you price it a penny and let the bidders establish the value? Do you need to sell quickly? Or can you wait forever if you have to? Do you want to put a ridiculous price on it and see if some impulsive fool will bite? Do you even know what you really have, or are you just guessing?

It's a little bit of everything.

When I sell something, I put it on a price I would be happy to part with the item for, simple as that.

I take into account that some people are always going to try to lowball me, so I pad for negotiating. I also pad a bit for the seller fees.

Some stuff I don't really want to sell, but I put it out there for higher than I think I can get for it, but a price that I can't refuse if I do get it.

Some stuff I list at a price that I think will move it on. Mostly I try to keep my prices reasonable and in line with what I see similar things going for.

But most of all, I try to be as honest and complete with how I represent the item as I possibly can be, to ensure a smooth and friendly transaction, and let the listing speak for itself.

John Bechet

New in Town
What a productive and informative first 24 hours here!

Taking on board all the replies so far, I'm going to pass on the jacket discussed and wait for something better. From what I've learned on and off this thread, I believe the jacket's provenance but while the stated date is plausible there are persuasive reasons to think it's later. I want more certainty with regards to date as that is important to me. As for the condition, I am persuaded that I might be able to get something in better at this price.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany