Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

It Shrunk at the Drycleaners - - Really

Zelda

New in Town
Ladies:

I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ve been reading your various posts and really enjoyed everything and learned a lot. I finally got around to joining on. Anyway - - -

I took two dresses to a supposedly special French laundry and both dresses have shrunk. They are both 40s cocktail dresses and made from crepe. Both of them have always been very loose-fitting. Now I can get them on, but they are extremely tight. I know the obvious cause is that I have gained weight, but that isn?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t the case, I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ve checked and double-checked. My husband said to just wear them around the house to stretch them out. One of them I spent a small fortune on and is one of my all-time favorites.

Is there any way to remedy this? (Besides lose 20 pounds)

I appreciate any help you can give me.

Zelda

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Zelda, I am so sorry that that happened! It has never happened with anything I ever sent to them! Did they give you any sort of disclamer, or it is possible for you to get some of the money back from the cleaning? I know this will never remedy the favorite dress, but it might help. You may want to contact the Vintage Fashion Guild on their forums, and they may be able to offer more advice for you. Or maybe the other ladies on this board have had similar experiences and they might be able to help you out. I apologize again, if this was a result of my reference. It was passed on to me by my costuming guild, many of whom are serious vintage clothing conservators. But obviously, their recommendation was not all encompassing...

Zelda

New in Town
It Shrunk at the Drycleaners - - Really Reply to Thread

Lauren:

Thanks for your quick response. I don't know if you have me confused with someone else or not, but it wasn't your recommendation that I followed, so no apology necessary. Without naming names, it wasn't the known and highly recommended place in Pasadena, this place is located in West L.A. I'll check out the Vintage Fashion Guild forum, as well. Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner