Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"it"

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Presence, gravitas they feel natural in their own skin and their clothes are truly an extention of themselves... you see them walking down the street and you say that guy looks cool, not his clothes look cool. I'm talking about wearng the clothes and not the other way around.

Connery had "it",
Grant
Stewart
Macnee
Astaire... they had "it"... and they had it in spades.

What's the difference? Let's keep this thread male centric for the time being. I think women can fake it at times because hair and makeup and can so easily put on a false mystique, though if you are Grant you are grant in the suit and tie and you are Grant in the boxers and robe. "it"! My friends, "it"!

Senator Jack and I had a bit of a conversation about this in New York while roaming the streets and we were pointing out left and right those that had it and those that don't... it's not something you can grab onto, and i think you do need a bit of an eye to seperate the wearing a suit from the being me it's just who I am crowd.

See here... The suit looks good, though it is wearing him. You take it off and he is someone totally different
KOT130548_a_loket_04.jpg

See here Connery walked and talked and moved the same in and out of a suit and tie... That was IT!
B14%200284%20Sean%20Connery%20-%20Sitting%20-%20Leo%20Fuchs.jpg

'it"... that is what this thread is all about. You can be crafted and work on it, though you can't just throw on your suit and tie and have "it".

For me, sometimes I have it and sometimes I don't what are your thoughts on "it"?

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Here's one

Any guy who could play Holmes and Freddy Einsford-Hill perfectly gets my vote for some serious Gravitas. He looks at ease and at home in top hat and frock coat AND by George, he can actually pull off a deerstalker and inverness as well as a sweater or scarf.
In short: IT.

brett_cojones.jpg

Jeremy Brett​

Feraud

Bartender
They say clothes make the man. That is half true. Plenty of men look uncomfortable and very "green" in a nice outfit. I see it everyday in NYC.

Imho, George Clooney also has "it" in spades!

clooney.jpg

george_clooney_01.jpg

The guy makes fatigues look good.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
To me, the "it" is confidence. Not arrogance, but the courage of your convictions. And all of you are right: you can't put it on as you would a suit. It's something primitive, even if you get it or express it by cultivated means. Our animal friends can sense when someone is confident or afraid.

He who hesitates, on the other hand, is lost. People who hem and haw and finally get around to asking me to do something for them irritate me even as they try to ingratiate themselves. Men who take two minutes, ten minutes, half an hour(!) to decide to ask me to dance are, right or wrong, a turnoff.

Jeremy Brett certainly didn't seem to have a faint heart. Even though he was probably old enough to be my father, I had a slight crush on him years ago--he was so smart and courageous as Holmes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy