Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Italian brands hats

Daniele (Tanto) recently pointed me in the direction of Aristocrat as a sub-brand of Barbisio. When I went shopping for hats recently I came across one of these hats in my size and with a shark gill bow. That was a no-brainer. So here it is: Barbisio Aristocrat grey in size 56, double stitched raw edge brim 5,5cm and 10,5 cm crown at the pinch. Lined with onion skin covering of crown patch. Nice supple felt. Good example of fine Italian hatmaking, even when it was supposed to be second-tier production for the cheaper end of the market. My estimate is mid sixties to mid seventies. Don't know if the name "ginevra" refers to colour or model.

barbisio aristocrat_01.jpg barbisio aristocrat_02.jpg barbisio aristocrat_03.jpg barbisio aristocrat_04.jpg barbisio aristocrat_05.jpg barbisio aristocrat_06.jpg barbisio aristocrat_07.jpg barbisio aristocrat_09.jpg barbisio aristocrat_10.jpg barbisio aristocrat_11.jpg

This one is the second hat of the Holland-Italy hat exchange program between Daniele Tanto and myself. After yesterdays example another Barbiso Articrat and this one comes close to a holy grail hat I want to own: the Borsalino "film" in light grey (well, see below for the general idea). Aristocrat in light grey with black ribbon, size 57 with 5,5cm brim and 12 cm crown at the pinch. New old stock. The label says "sesia", which is a river in Italy for either model or colour. My thanks go out to Daniele and his generosity for finding this one and trading it with me. Wonderful hat.

barbisio sesia_1.jpg barbisio sesia_2.jpg barbisio sesia_3.jpg barbisio sesia_4.jpg barbisio sesia_5.jpg barbisio sesia_6.jpg barbisio sesia_7.jpg barbisio sesia_8.jpg barbisio sesia_9.jpg

Scion and Manfred, thanks. It certainly ticks all the boxes! Just to keep Daniele, who provided it, entertained here are some pictures of one homburg in his size that I (unfortunately) no longer own. Panizza homburg in grey, size 59, brom 5,5 cm and crown 11 cm in front. I think it was made in the sixties.

panizza homburg grey_01.jpg panizza homburg grey_02.jpg panizza homburg grey_03.jpg panizza homburg grey_05.jpg panizza homburg grey_06.jpg panizza homburg grey_07.jpg panizza homburg grey_08.jpg panizza homburg grey_09.jpg panizza homburg grey_11.jpg panizza homburg grey_12.jpg

Scion and Manfred, thanks. It certainly ticks all the boxes! Just to keep Daniele, who provided it, entertained here are some pictures of one homburg in his size that I (unfortunately) no longer own. Panizza homburg in grey, size 59, brom 5,5 cm and crown 11 cm in front. I think it was made in the sixties.

View attachment 74611 View attachment 74612 View attachment 74613 View attachment 74614 View attachment 74615 View attachment 74616 View attachment 74617 View attachment 74618 View attachment 74619 View attachment 74620
I hope it went to a proper home, some hat nut who appreciates the beauty of this Italian creation.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
It is a hat shaped on the shape of an Alpine hat (Italian mountain troops)
The ribbon with the iron clip is typical of the 70's when it was the latest fashion.
It is an atypical production of the home of Sagliano Micca, very traditional in its production.
The asking price is really high for a hat so tied to a niche of the market, which was that of the "alpinets" like us, here in Italy, we call this type of hat.

courtesy of Daniele, Panizza in green, from the od factory in Ghiffa before it shut in 1981, rare colour. Is grey-green but can look various shades of green, grey and brown. New old stock, it's a 58 but fits my 57.25cm head snug.
View attachment 75018 View attachment 75019 View attachment 75020
Very nice looking hat, Karl. You don't see green that often, because it's mostly the greys, browns and blacks (even blue is not too common). Did you put that shape in it? It has quite the rake!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass