Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"It's Awful quiet out there...." "Yeah... TOO Quiet!"

Stand By

One Too Many
I too have noticed how quiet it is at present on the Lounge. Due to Saab's head gasket packing up & my pending marriage this Saturday I am only able to afford nylon at the moment. Other projects (leather) are shelved until the New Year (D1). Can post pictures of current grabs: Schott CWU & G&B MA1 (modified) but you guys probably don't want to see pics of those (nylon junkies only). Autumn is kicking in now..Honeymoon in St Ives Cornwall next week..so a selection of jackets will be going with me: ELC A2, M422A, C3 Vest & Alpha vintage series B15 (nylon) in the blue.

St Ives:

View attachment 4231

My hearty congratulations on the impending nuptuals, my friend.
As such, instead of jacket advice, for a change, may I impart my own personal advice on maintaining a successful and lasting relationship?

Since I moved in with my girlfriend some 5 years ago, I've found this item to be a most handy relationship aid: A USAAF M-3 Flak helmet - oh, and a pair of M-1944 goggles (mine are made by Polaroid).

Flak01.JPG FlakSoundProofin'.JPG FlakAnti-Glare.JPG

"Why's that, Stand By?" I hear you ask.
Well, if you're anything like me, you'll discover that light-to-moderate flak can appear unexpectedly at the most surprisingly quiet of times - and for no good reason!
So I bought myself this and I draw your attention to these salient selling features:

Notice the steel plates - that cover the ears! And these plates have sound insulation on the inside!

Flak02.JPG
Sorry, what was that?

Flak03.JPG
I can't hear you.

Flak04.JPG
Notice too the handy neck-strap. Very handy - especially so you can wear your helmet in bed and it won't roll off!

Flak05.JPG
And here I am all set for a pleasant evening in ...! Now you'll appreciate the true meaning of anti-glare goggles! Because you know she will ...

Incidentally, I keep these on my bookshelf in my den - and they sit on a "Hamlet - The Mild Cigar" bar towel with a tin of Hamlet cigars and a zippo (no, I don't smoke. They're purely symbolic!). Those of you in the UK and of a certain age to remember the TV commercials will get why .... it's my inside joke to myself.
Now I only have to say "Jeez! Do I have to get my helmet off the shelf today, or what?" - and she gets the point and cools right down ....!

*** Seriously though and all joking aside - many congratuations to you and I hope you both have a great day and a good honeymoon ... ***

P.S. If your wife ever mentions an ex-boyfriend in conversation and regales a woeful tale to be funny - be warned - it is a trap! UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES does this give you ANY license to regale a similar, or even disparaging tale about an ex-girlfriend. Never mention an ex. Ever. You will soon encounter heavy flak and the M-3 Flak helmet will prove to be inadequate and you will likely need an old M-1 Flak Vest with M-3 Apron (made of steel and manganese plates) - the one that has a seperate piece over the groin area.

Attachments

• usaaf-flak-vest_pics169-16964.jpg
    usaaf-flak-vest_pics169-16964.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Judging from the responses here... there's gonna be a flood of posts soon on all sorts of thing...

Worf

PS Standby!!!! You magnificent ba***rd!!! I read your book!!!!

Last edited:

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?66952-My-quot-New-quot-Bill-Kelso-House-A-2&highlight=

These pics were literally taken minutes after taking the jacket out of the box. it looks much nicer now that it's broken in a bit and a little HWT on the collar. . Victory Hide wasn't offered then, so this was just the basic chrome-tanned hh.

That's magic Grayland, simply beautiful A-2! I still reckon you'll get a bit of wear out of it even after you get the Ventura ;)

And Worf, what's next on the list for you? You were going hammer and tongs back there for a bit getting new jackets. That Langlitz was a ripper.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
That's magic Grayland, simply beautiful A-2! I still reckon you'll get a bit of wear out of it even after you get the Ventura ;)

And Worf, what's next on the list for you? You were going hammer and tongs back there for a bit getting new jackets. That Langlitz was a ripper.

Welp I did get a new "Redskin" D-1 that needs debuting BUT it was almot 90 Degrees Farenheit yesterday as my good buddy Grayland pointed out. I'm willing to "fight" for dear ole FL University but not die from heat exhaustion! The D-1 was an Alexander's Leathers piece becuase nobody else could/would make a "Redskin" in my size. Other than that I've some jackets out being modded at Johnson Leathers (thanks loads Lando) and Vanson. Small stuff, sleeves to long, sleeves too big... the usual. I couldn't wait all the time necessary for a GoodWear, or an Aero these days. If I want another Aero I suppose I'll have to go Insurrection.

Worf

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks for all your sage words guys regarding my pending nuptials. Stand By sir you've had me in absolute stitches with your pics & prose..still wiping the tears away now Dog.jpeg

Stand By

One Too Many
Well, we're all here to help, right? Glad to know you liked. Makes me feel it was worthwhile to make myself late for work this morning in trying to figure out the self-timer on my new camera ...! ;-)
All the best, now ...!

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Well, we're all here to help, right? Glad to know you liked. Makes me feel it was worthwhile to make myself late for work this morning in trying to figure out the self-timer on my new camera ...! ;-)
All the best, now ...!

I didn't know there was anybody LEFT in Canada that funny! Thanks for the laugh!

Worf

Stand By

One Too Many
Oh, we have lots of funny people up here, Worf ! We have three levels of government (local,provincial and federal) - each one as hilarious as the other (in a Gong Show kind of way). Comedians all.
Funnily enough though, nobody's laughing ... except them.

Have a good weekend, all.

Brettafett

One Too Many
I have my finger on the trigger of an A-2... Mr Bill Kelso may help me squeeze the trigger ;)
Also a GW on order, but its a year away, so not dreaming too much about that yet...

fathergoose

New in Town
This is my second Fall/Winter jacket season here at the ole Lounge. I'm assuming that this "quiet" period we're experiencing, (few new jackets modeled by Loungers) is the proverbial "calm before the storm? Hmm??? Henh??? Hmmm????

Worf

I ordered a jacket from Magnoli in late July. That should put delivery around about late October or so. Halfbelt with buttons. Lapels. Twenties-ish, but what do I know. Based on a jacket from a well known designer represented by three letters, beefcake models and somewhat discouraging price tags.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran