Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Its to cold for a fedora

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Now I know what I have to look forward to when I move back to Iowa next fall. Oh, boy, what is that white stuff?

Actually, it has been chilly in our office here at work. I wore a stocking cap (sorry, I just cannot call them "beanies") and now half a dozen others are wearing them. Except one woman grabbed my fedora and is now wearing it.

I hear you lose 60% of your body heat through your head.

karol

Canadave

One Too Many
K.D. Lightner said:
...Actually, it has been chilly in our office here at work. I wore a stocking cap (sorry, I just cannot call them "beanies")...

Just call them what we call them...toques!

"A toque (pronounced /tok/) is a type of hat with a narrow brim or no brim at all. They were popular from the 13th to the 16th century in Europe, especially France. One toque that is still common is the toque-blanche, which is the standard chef's hat. The term comes from the Spanish word toca.

"The spelling (pronounced /tuk/) is often used for the tuque, an originally French-Canadian woolen hat worn in winter. This "fashion" originated when coureurs des bois kept their woollen nightcaps on for warmth during cold winter days. The Canadian Oxford Dictionary regards the two words as being etymologically unrelated, with the "toque" spelling being as a result of assimilation.

"A touque is also another name for a Beanie in Canada."

David

pron. like the number two, with a "k" at the end.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Well, that is interesting. Of course those hats would be really be useful in Canada.

Here, they have been called "watch" caps, after the wool Navy caps that are worn when someone is out on watch on the ship ( and it is probably colder than blue blazes). They were called stocking caps or knit caps and probably a few other words I haven't heard.

Toques certainly does sound better than beanies.

Thanks for the Canadian education. It is always interesting to discover what things are called elsewhere.

karol

Wild Root

Gone Home
Got toques eh!

Yeah, when I lived in Canada for two years all my buddies wore toques! I had one that a friend of mine made for me. I still have it, but it's not cold enough here to wear it.

I wore a Fedora most of my stay.

Root.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Well, I live in San Diego and I've got toques! About a half-dozen of them. And my coworkers got toques, too. At least for a few days a year when the building is cold.

I even sleep in one when the apartment gets chilly.

The toques, which are in different colors, will get a nice workout next year when I head back to the midwest. So will my fedoras. I fear I will be the only person wearing a fedora in Iowa. Maybe I will be wrong. I hope so.

karol

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Resuscitating an ancient thread (with two typos in the title, even!) to post a picture of the li'l' missus and me atop Mt. Haleakala on Maui at sunrise. It was definitely too cold at 10,023 feet for a fedora.

DSCF0050.jpg

Last edited:

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Actually, it has been chilly in our office here at work. I wore a stocking cap (sorry, I just cannot call them "beanies") and now half a dozen others are wearing them. Except one woman grabbed my fedora and is now wearing it.

I can't say beanie either, since it brings to mind images like this--
propellerbeanie.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy