Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J. Edgar - New Flm with Leonardo DiCaprio

Steven180

One of the Regulars
Trailer looks extremely intriguing. Would be very curious as to anyone's expert opinion as to it's accuracy post release.

Been pretty impressed with the last three of diCaprios works, and Clint Eastwood has a good history in direction and production; looking forward to it. The costumes and make up appear very impressive as well

M.

Saw it (finally) last night. Amazing. I try daily to look better and they manage (sorta) to make Leo look like the smarmy Hoover. :)
I'll see it for sure. I like Leo, and I like the subject matter. No-brainer.

Mr Vim

One Too Many
There is something about this movie that is not clicking for me... I think it may be DiCaprio's voice, it seems off... granted I have no idea how Hoover sounded but something is putting me off about the actor's voice.

[video=youtube;cUml4IR3Pvw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUml4IR3Pvw&feature=related[/video]
Here's a video clip of JEH speaking, see how it compares.

There is something about this movie that is not clicking for me... I think it may be DiCaprio's voice, it seems off... granted I have no idea how Hoover sounded but something is putting me off about the actor's voice.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home

The thing is ... Leonardo (aka Arthur Rimbaud / Louis XIV / Howard Hughes / J. Edgar Hoover / Jay Gatsby) DiCaprio likes making movies with vintage themes, and he has the clout in Hollywood to get them made.

*If* I were to write a screenplay about the grand, controversial, and ultimately tragic life of James Oviatt, Los Angeles's "haberdasher to the stars" during the golden era, I'd try to go straight to Leonardo DiCaprio and pitch it to him. *He* could make the film a reality. (Of course, he'd also insist on playing James Oviatt himself. Tit for tat.)

Last edited:

Mr Vim

One Too Many
Marc, don't get me wrong, I really dig DiCaprio in many of his roles, but there is something in the way he sounds here I don't know.

Hatophile, I can't watch videos as I'm on a computer at work but I will compare when I am home, thanks for the embed.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
... but there is something in the way he sounds here I don't know.

I understand what you mean. I think that he gets these roles because he has a big hand in getting some of these movies made. Without him, would J. Edgar have ever come about? With a big-name director? Maybe not.

Frankly, I really liked the way that actor Billy Crudup played J. Edgar Hoover in the movie Public Enemies ...

When I saw the trailer, I thought DiCaprio's voice had a very Northeastern inflection, which surprised me, as Hoover was a D.C. native. However, on hearing this video clip, Hoover did indeed have an almost Bostonian pronunciation.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Comparing the clips, I'd say Leo has acquitted himself quite well in regards to J.Edgar's speech.

Edward

Bartender
I wonder how much of Hoover's bizarre relationship with trusted good buddy Clyde Tolson will be seen in this movie?

That's definitely the question. An all-out, hatchett job would be as disappointing as a completely-sanitised, hero-worship piece. Hopefully they go for something nice and balanced. I can't claim to know for sure, but looking in from the outside I get the impression that Hoover is not consider 'untouchable' (in the way that, say, many over here still view Churchill), so it seems to me there must be room for them to portray his negatives. When's the release date? I'll certainly give it a go - for the clothes, if nothing else! ;)

Edward

Bartender
Actually, the movie may give a boost to a movement which had previously stalled.

Interesting. After so long, though, is it really ever going to be known colloquially as anything else, even if they do change the name officially? I remember a few years ago (and much to the disgust of very many of us) Belfast City Airport was renamed as "George Best Belfast City Airport" (but for the sake of my folks, who pick me up and for whom it is so much more convenient, I frankly would avoid flying into the place over that - yes, I'm really that petty. ;) ). In practice, though, I've never heard anyone ever refer to it as anything other than City Airport - even folks who work there.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Interesting. After so long, though, is it really ever going to be known colloquially as anything else, even if they do change the name officially?
I bet that it's a small percentage of Americans (and most of them inside the Beltway) who even know that the building bears Hoover's name. In the media it's generally referred to as FBI Headquarters. Funny thing, the architectural design of the building probably takes a bigger beating than the man's reputation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic