Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J. Peterman Linen Safari Jacket

Baggers

Practically Family
A bit late, but as promised, here are some pictures of the jacket before I send it back:

Is it just me, or are those chest pockets too small? The lower bellows pockets on the other hand, are nice and large, just like pockets on a safari jacket ought to be:
JPLinenBushJacket01.jpg

Note the back, totally devoid of any details beyond a yoke with a useless locker loop:
JPLinenBushJacket02.jpg

Here's a closeup of that dressed up BDU chest pocket. The dart running up to the collar is a nice touch, but the overall sloppy fit of the jacket relegates it to the category of useless fashion detail, rather than helping trim up the fit of the upper chest.
JPLinenBushJacket03.jpg

And, the aforementioned superfluous locker loop on the shoulder yoke:
JPLinenBushJacket04.jpg

I really hoped that this would come off better, but I guess I'll have to keep looking for that "perfect" jacket.

Cheers!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Yes, I'd probably send that one back. Great color, nice fabric.
Personally, I just don't care for a jacket with a shirt-style collar.

Peterman has adopted the General Motors plan. The safari jacket, military shirt, and a few others are all made on the same pattern. Swap fabrics, do a pocket switcheroo, and you have several products. Some in the $40 range, some in the $100 range. Brilliant!

Grimstar

Familiar Face
Yes, yes, and...what the ****...

Yes, those top pockets are definitely too small.

Yes, it definitely needs a belt...or a belted back, maybe...hmmmm...

And, my only comment on the vertical keyhole buttonholes on the front is...what was the guy at the factory smoking that day? That's just wrong, wrong, wrong.

It's a shame they took such a beautiful fabric and made something...not so beautiful.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Matt Deckard said:
I have it, I like it, thoug two buttons have already fallen off it and one is ready to go.

Though I do like the jacket and will post pics after the buttons are back on... It's more me than the Victoria Falls.

So Matt, have the the buttons been sewn back on? Would love to see the coat on and in action.

Cheers!

Dan

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
No need for a new thread

An observation:

The J. Peterman Gatsby Shirt isn't worth the $85. The cotton is hardly "luminous." They feel kind of cheap.

Biggest disappointment among the items I've bought from Mr. Peterman's collection. They would be a nice $29.00 shirt, but certainly not $85. Glad I only paid $19.

Baggers

Practically Family
scotrace said:
An observation:

The J. Peterman Gatsby Shirt isn't worth the $85. The cotton is hardly "luminous." They feel kind of cheap.

Biggest disappointment among the items I've bought from Mr. Peterman's collection. They would be a nice $29.00 shirt, but certainly not $85. Glad I only paid $19.

Oh really. I'm glad you posted this, because every now and then when I flip through the catalogue I pause for a second at the page on which they're listed. I wonder if the flannel J. Peterman Shirts are any better? I was thinking about possibly adding a couple to the Fall wardrobe.

BTW, I reread your earlier post about J.P.'s "General Motors" design plan and I think you may be onto something. That jacket you and Hemingway were ribbing me about in the campaign hat thread seems to have the Vic Falls jacket back. I wonder if they gave it the linen safari jacket fit?

Cheers!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
One body stamping, just change the fenders and grill

Doesn't that Moleskin Norfolk look very very much like the Victoria Falls? Same back. Just change the pockets and presto! New product at $198. It's a very workable business plan. I just don't think he should call that new jacket a Norfolk.
Why not just make a Con-Sarned tweed beltback Norfolk!!!???
The fringed buckskin jacket has caught my eye as well - unique!!
The Peterman Shirt I have is in the "Fustian" linen-cotton fabric and I actually prefer it to the Gatsby. It is very casual - the sort of shirt you expect to see at one of those colonial crafts festivals where the men are hunkered over a foot-powered lathe. In fact, I think it would be well paired with one of those buckle-back pants from Wah Maker/Scully.
But again... look for a sale. At full pop it's not a good value. YMMV.

Correction: I paid $9 each for the two Gatsby's I have.

Now, about that Gladstone, Baggers...

Baggers

Practically Family
scotrace said:
Doesn't that Moleskin Norfolk look very very much like the Victoria Falls? Same back. Just change the pockets and presto! New product at $198. It's a very workable business plan. I just don't think he should call that new jacket a Norfolk.
Why not just make a Con-Sarned tweed beltback Norfolk!!!???
The fringed buckskin jacket has caught my eye as well - unique!!

Yes it does. I wonder if it has the "faux vent" along the lower seam of the yoke? But as far as I'm concerned, it ain't a true Norfolk if it doesn't have a full belt and the "suspenders." The best it can be referred to is a half belted jacket. I'm wondering if they have a computer program that lets them plug in stock design features, sort of like those online custom shirt vendors? If so, I'll be very disappointed.

And I just mentioned that buckskin jacket in the other thread in jest. It's intriguing, but really don't see it as being "me." That, and my wife actually expressed her displeasure when I showed it to her. :eek: Still, it would be something fun to have. Just not at full price!

scotrace said:
The Peterman Shirt I have is in the "Fustian" linen-cotton fabric and I actually prefer it to the Gatsby. It is very casual - the sort of shirt you expect to see at one of those colonial crafts festivals where the men are hunkered over a foot-powered lathe. In fact, I think it would be well paired with one of those buckle-back pants from Wah Maker/Scully.
But again... look for a sale. At full pop it's not a good value. YMMV.

Correction: I paid $9 each for the two Gatsby's I have.

Now, about that Gladstone, Baggers...

Thanks for the advice on the JP shirts. As for the gladstone, I think I'll finally be able to squeeze in a shot or two in the next day or so. Be patient, young Padewan...;)

Cheers!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael