Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacket arrived today

MKL

A-List Customer
Here is a picture of the jacket that arrived this afternoon. It is from US Authentic. Horsehide. Size 42R.

DSC_0006.jpg

Bebop

Practically Family
I have been debating getting a HH from US Authentic. I have one of their goats that is a favorite but have heard that their HH is really stiff. Is it decent? Are the arms the right length?

MKL

A-List Customer
Fits great on my frame. The sleeves are a little bit longer than I would want but it is not biggie to me. I am quite happy with it thus far. Thanks.

MKL

A-List Customer
Bebop said:
I have been debating getting a HH from US Authentic. I have one of their goats that is a favorite but have heard that their HH is really stiff. Is it decent? Are the arms the right length?

Stiff? Well, I don't have other horse hide material to compare. There is definitely some break in to do, but nothing serious it seems. I have a cowhide leather jacket which is softer but this HH is not that stiff - at least in my not so knowledgeable opinion.

I am six feet and weigh 175. The size is a 42r and as I mentioned previously the sleeves are just little longer. I do have a short reach. In a dress suit I normally wear a 42 long.

SamReu

One of the Regulars
Spokes Man

About that HH jacket: It will be stiff for a while, according to reports from (largely) satisfied customers. I have one that is beginning to relax after about seven months of wear, some of it pretty tough wear, too.
Pound for pound, the US A is probably the best deal around.

Windsock

A-List Customer
Don't be so quick to disregard the obsession Cookie. Culturally we (Australia) didn't and don't do jackets as much as other Countries, largely due a lot to our climate. Give it more research, take a look at the other great threads here and particularly take a look at Vintage Leather Jackets Forum;
http://cornellsurgery.com/v-web/bulletin/bb/index.php and it will gradually take hold like a disease.

My collection has fluctuated over quite a while but currently I have 3 large complete vgc Irvins, 3 original A-2's with nose art and one RMNZ repro A-2, and an old black buffalo levis trucker jacket. I am a convert from other areas.

My lament is that the RAAF guys who flew B-24's (they were actually attached to the 380th BG) and P-40's etc in the Pacific didn't get the great leather to go with the hardware.:(

kojax

Practically Family
a2 horsehide

nice jacket i have a 36r dark seal brown horsehide from u.s. mfg....when i got it very stiff i almost sent it back lol....i had it for 4 months now breaking in very well. taking on some nice grain texture you will enjoy your jacket....i notice my jacket has strentch alittle.....good luck ***

Peacoat

Bartender
cookie said:
Sorry... try as I might I don't get the attraction.

It took me a little over a year to get interested in the leather. Having worn nylon when a pilot, I just couldn't get into the leather flight jackets, although I would now like to get a WWII jacket. I finally decided that I really "needed" a new leather motorcycle jacket. Decided on an Aero Highwayman. Ordered it about a week and a half ago. I guess the addiction has started.

A2_Junkie

New in Town
Puzzled by the leather

cookie said:
Sorry... try as I might I don't get the attraction.

Hey Cookie, part of the obsession is similar to the attraction to great blue jeans. I'm not talking about those fake, distressed ones, I'm talking about the dark-blue, stiff pair you broke in by wearing them to play in each day when you were a kid. After a while, they got faded and soft and the best friend you ever wore.

The leather of the jackets I like has a similar character, combined with the history and the flair of the flyers who wore them.

-Peter

nerdator

New in Town
half belt arrived

my Half Belt arrived today... apart from being very stiff because of the horsehide - but I am sure it will break in soon - it is superb...

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
nerdator said:
my Half Belt arrived today... apart from being very stiff because of the horsehide - but I am sure it will break in soon - it is superb...

Nerdator, please start another thread with some pics of your jacket, we'd all love to see it.

fedoralover

nerdator

New in Town
new thread coming soon

I'd love to do that. let me take the pics first today. one question: is it possible for me to post attachments?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theartboxstore