Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacket belt loops with snap closures

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
A lot of motorcycle jackets have belt loops, and a lot of those belt loops have snaps. I have yet to see a pair of pants that has belt loops that aren't solid. I can't for the life of me see what the purpose of the snaps is on a jacket's belt loops. They tend to twist when fastened, resulting in belt loops that aren't straight, and end up ruining the lines of the jacket. But they seem to be quite common, particularly on classic and high end motorcycle jackets. I much prefer solid belt loops, but they seem to be fairly hard to find.

What does everyone else think about them?

I think... I've no idea, really. Good question. It would make more sense if the loops had a few extra snaps for regulating the width to accommodate for different belts, which, I would imagine, they ought to have predicted people would use since no jacket-dedicated belts actually exist.

I too prefer solid belt loops.

IXL

One Too Many
I believe the snaps were to allow for the removal of a belt which featured it's own loops, intended to have the jacket's loops snapped through them. Done in this way, the belt would be prevented from rotating about the wearer.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
I believe the snaps were to allow for the removal of a belt which featured it's own loops, intended to have the jacket's loops snapped through them. Done in this way, the belt would be prevented from rotating about the wearer.
Good point; I have seen this on the rear of the jacket, but they always have snaps on the jacket's front loops, too. I've never seen a belt that connected to the front loops, though. I've never had a problem with a full belt shifting, either. Mine have always had no problem staying put.

Riiiight!! I actually knew this, I did, before I forgot it.

Terminator2Jacket15.jpg

Reactions: IXL

IXL

One Too Many
The belts can more likely shift around when they are worn unbuckled and with the ends just hanging down in that so-rock-and-roll way. It just wouldn't be cool to have someone notice that your belt had one end about 18 inches longer that the other and dangling down past your knees.

shadowrider

One of the Regulars
I second what pawineguy wrote. Pretty sure it came from police jackets, which are made to hold bulky police duty belts.
One way to prevent the belt loops from twisting around, is to have two snaps instead of one on each belt loop.

I could be wrong but I don't think police officers actually wear any of their equipment on their jacket belts.

pawineguy

One Too Many
I could be wrong but I don't think police officers actually wear any of their equipment on their jacket belts.

That's a good point I'm not sure that I've ever seen equipment worn on a jacket belt. I'll have to look for it.

They absolutely wear the belt right on the jacket, more out of necessity than anything else, as gear needs to be right at hand. Modern police jacket makers typically offer two options, for wearing the belt on the jacket, or a very short jacket to wear above the gun belt but not cover anything. That's why even their winter cloth jackets are of a very short length. Can't have anything covering up your gun... at least in most agencies.
Screen Shot 2016-03-08 at 9.22.37 AM.png

IXL

One Too Many
It occurred to me last night that old-time motor officers wore these jackets and required snaps for the reason mentioned. I have never seen anyone actually do this this, though. Modern jackets with which I'm familiar all have non-gusseted vertical zips on the sides, allowing one's duty belt to be worn anchored to the pants. The zips allow the side of the jacket to flow around the sidearm and then there is a snap to hold the halves together , beneath and under the holster. This is how all of my jackets have been styled.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24