Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jake Gittes: Style Icon

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Mr. 'H' said:
I always thought the guy on the left had a terrible hairdo.

Sooo 70s "drylook". :rolleyes:

Not 30s at all! :rage:

Please correct me if I'm wrong ...(Marc).

Jakesuit442.jpg

Any opinions on this dude...?

Anyone...?

:eusa_doh:

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Mr. 'H' said:

Anyone...?

Oh fine, then. Yes, he looks very quiffy and dry and of the 70s. Not at all period. He ruined the movie for me. His hair keeps me awake at night. Don't even get me started on the lines on the road, or the police siren, or the way the phone rings.

;) Satisfied? ;)

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Mr. 'H' said:

Anyone...?

Well...he's Bruce Glover,fine character actor who excells at playing villains and very odd henchmen. Memorable as part of the duo of homosexual assassins intent on killing James Bond in "Diamonds are Forever". He is the father of Crispen Glover who seems intent on besting dad at playing strange fellows. Oh, and yes,his hair is a bit pouffy.;)

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Mr. 'H' said:
Thanks Jake, Sefton.

So, I'm not mad, not seeing things.

His hair does suck.

But Chinatown is an amazing film. One of my top ten.
No, you're not seeing things. I have seen pictures of men during that time with hair that wasn't exactly slick looking. Even then there must have been fellows who didn't care for a greasy head. Other than that I'd say his clothes and tie are spot on.:)

Indy Magnoli

Vendor
Ghos7a55assin said:
Magnoli, would you be able to get that much belly in the lapel if you made it?

The shape and size I should be able to pin down (though I'd prefer to get specific measurements per person to insure a balanced proportion), but the drape and roll of the lapel would depend on the fabric. In any case, this is a suit I'd love to add to my site!

Kind regards,
Magnoli

matei

One Too Many
I love the film. It is also one of my favourites.

I just had a suit made with the same type of lapels. Initially I was worried that the tailor had made a mistake, but now I see that all is well.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Skipping a few ensembles until later, I'm going to my favourite.

This is the one Jake wore to Catalina Island, on to the orange groves and then into a fracas at the retirement home. It got a lot of wear, and if it was vintage, it took a beating. (Perhaps there was a stunt double.)

Anyway, this is a combination I've worked at since I was in my teens - never with the correct belt back jacket, however. So if anyone has one going spare, help me live out a dream.

Here it is:

best22.jpg

best42.jpg

These arrival scenes look like they could have been painted by that Fellows fellow for Esquire. It has a timeless look too. The trousers are not high waisted, an dthe tie is long for 1937. The khakis appear grey in a later scene.

mondayskakes2.jpg

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
I like the detail on the lapel.

mondaysjakes22.jpg

It's worn with a long point collar again.

shirtpatternwithbet2.jpg

This one is monogrammed JJG. That's the kind of attention to detail that makes a movie feel natural. And look at the pocket of the shirt.

shirtmonogram2.jpg

Finally, a view of the pattern. Looks like a styleized diamond or greek key motif.

bestjacketpattern2.jpg

mandyas42.jpg

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
And of course it ends badly for the jacket of my dreams.

godnonotthejacket2.jpg

OH GOD NO!! NOT THE JACKET!!!

And the schnazzy sunglasses get broken too.

ruined2.jpg

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
You're right about that jacket,it's fantastic. I really love the patterns on the shirt/tie/jacket and how they work together. I don't think I've seen a jacket with that sort of pattern...I sure wish I had one though! Keep those screen grabs coming!:eusa_clap

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Wow, Thanks!...

Love the screen grabs- especially the close ups and details.
As has been said above, I like the patterns and the way they work together, but what I really liked was the fact that the whole ensemble looks so comfortable and put-together. Most mens clothes today either look too fussy, or like you just got rousted out of flophouse.

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
Splendid grabs Jake - thanks for sharing!

Indy Magnoli said:
Jake52.jpg

I love the lapels on this jacket. These lazy peaks are almost a hybrid between a peaked and notched lapel. I love it! Now this would be a smashing suit to do in an ivory linen! Any takers? ;)

Kind regards,
Magnoli

Get thee behind me!

I'll be in touch...

Indy Magnoli

Vendor
Ha! Sorry to be such a temptation, Doc!

You know what has always bugged me about Chinatown? Jake's hats... the suits, shoes, cars... everything is great; but Jake's hats never seem to fit right. It look like Nicholson has a round head and his hats are all ovals, thus deforming the brim when he puts them on. Guess this should carry on in the Fedora section... just wanted to complain in this thread. :eek:

Kind regards,
Magnoli

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy