Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jake Gittes: Style Icon

Indy Magnoli

Vendor
Is that a flap on the shirt pocket?

shirtmonogram2.jpg

If so, are there hidden buttons, or none at all?

I've got a similar pattern material (though the checks are a bit tighter) and have been meaning to do some more shirt styles... this might be one to try out. :)

Kind regards,
Magnoli

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
I watched Chinatown again tonite-
Something about Gittes' clothes seems not correct- more costumey.
The jacket lapels and some of the cuts just seem wrong to me.
That belt-back linen jacket doesn't quite seem to work

Was there some kind of concensus on the costuming being REAL vintage, or costume..?

What do WE think..?

B
T

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:
This is why Chinatown gets my vote for the most authentic '30s costuming film made in the '70s. Although Chinatown had a costume designer, he outfitted the male stars almost exclusively in '30s vintage clothing. In other words, the real stuff.

BT,

Is Marc Chevalier a concensus?

Since this thread was my keep-me-out-of-trouble project for August I can speak for ME if not WE. I think the costuming was excellent, the movie was excellent and JJG is still my style icon.

I was starting to grab The Two Jakes but gave it up. Probably a good thing.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks Jake

Those screen grabs are much appreciated! I missed the thread when you first started it as I was away on holidays. I'm glad BT posted today and it was thus brought to my attention. I'm a fan of the movie and the costuming and you've done a great job in capturing those images for us to view.

CharlieH.

One Too Many
a tad off topic, but....

Mr. 'H' said:
I always thought the guy on the left had a terrible hairdo.

Sooo 70s "drylook". :rolleyes:

Not 30s at all! :rage:

Please correct me if I'm wrong ...(Marc).

Jakesuit442.jpg

You know, I recently saw They Won't Forget (made in 1937, no less), and there are a few scenes where Claude Rains sports a similar doo. Not too puffy, but close.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Feraud said:
You need dvd viewing software for your computer and there is a screen capture option.
I use Windvd and it gives a nice screencap.
THE_NATURAL_SPECIAL_EDITION-80.jpg

Now back to topic..

That's a great shot. I was going to do another series of grabs from The Natural because in that film Robert Duvall and Darren MacGavin are also (my personal) style icons.

Feraud

Bartender
jake_fink said:
That's a great shot. I was going to do another series of grabs from The Natural because in that film Robert Duvall and Darren MacGavin are also (my personal) style icons.
I hope you show clips from The Natural. Those two actors show great style in the film.

Indy Magnoli

Vendor
After reading this thread, I decided to replicate Jake's shirt from this picture (sans the monogram):

shirtmonogram2.jpg

Here is the whole shirt:
mc-gitteshirt-main.jpg

With a close-up of the long, pointed collar:
mc-gitteshirt-sm2.jpg

And the box-pleated pocket:
mc-gitteshirt-sm3.jpg

As you can tell, I used a tighter patterned check as that was readily available. I'm quite happy with the overall style (I'm wearing the shirt as I type this). Let me know what you think...

Kind regards,
Magnoli

Indy Magnoli

Vendor
Thanks for the kind words. Actually, the material I used on this shirt was part of a short run I got, so I've only got green checks left. Alternatively, I do have a decent selection of stripes in different shades and patterns. Feel free to e-mail or PM me to discuss options.

And, yes, this shirt can be made with French cuffs at no additional charge.

Kind regards,
Magnoli

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy