Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

james cameron's AVATAR in 3-D

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I saw Avatar in IMAX 3D the other day........

..and seeing like that, it sorta (in my opinion) doesn't matter if it was a "good" or "bad" movie ; it was an experience. The world Cameron created was like nothing else. Even though I knew how the movie was going to end within the first few minutes, I didn't mind going for the ride. When I left the theater, it was actually hard for me to adjust to being in the real world.
If you are one of the few that hasn't seen it, see it in IMAX 3D. I'm not sure if I would have enjoyed it at all at home on DVD, of even in a regular 2D theater.

drafttek

New in Town
I saw it yesterday in 3D. While the effects were very good, there was nothing in the storyline that I found original. It was Dances With Wolves, Ferngully-The Last Rainforest, and the Star Wars battle on Naboo. Thankfully Jar Jar Binks sat this one out.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Dances With Wolves, Ferngully-The Last Rainforest

Yeah, I watched "Pochatar", or was it "the Last Avatar today," or "Dances with Avatars"... Wow, what a dissapointment. It was a pretty movie, but so empty and recycled I felt I was watching a patisch of every "noble savage" movie hollywood has ever made. Why they wasted all those effects on such a lame story I don't know. I mean how hard would it have been to take that special effects investment and adapt a sci-fi classic like "Forever War" or a serious adaptation of "Starship Troopers'?

Also, I have to say I was so frustrated with all the new age mumbo-jumbo and a recycled plot that didn't make sense, I just started rooting for Stephen Lang (Col. Quaritch) and wanted him and the marines to "light up" all those silly tall smurfs...

MrBern

I'll Lock Up

MrBern

I'll Lock Up

The village of Bil’in reenacted James Cameron’s new film Avatar during today’s weekly demonstration. Five Palestinian, Israeli and international activists were painted blue, with pointy ears and tales, resembling the Avatar characters. Like Palestinians, the Avatars fight imperialism, although the colonizers have different origins. The Avatars’ presence in Bil’in today symbolizes the united resistance to imperialism of all kinds.

check out the pix
http://palsolidarity.org/2010/02/11363

http://www.bilin-ffj.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=249&Itemid=1

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I saw it last night in 3D at the local cinema and was completely overwhelmed by the aesthetics. Story aside (bow to the nitpickers), the film is groundbreaking. My local cineplex installed one 3D system prior to Avatar's release; they installed another one just three weeks later. I predict a cinematic sea change.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
In my ridiculously arrogant opinion, the story wasn't that bad, though it wasn't particularly good either. The film was beautiful (I want to live somewhere where everything is naturally shiny...)

My big problem though, was the score. James Horner's blatant recycling of his own previous works jarred me out of the stunning world that the visuals were creating. Especially that dramatic horn stab that he puts in everything.

Atomic Age

Practically Family
Ethan Bentley said:
Are the figures inflation adjusted I wonder.

Flat-top you hit the nail on the head with you comment.

They are actually having a hard time adjusting for inflation with Avatar, because the ticket prices for both regular digital 3D, and IMAX 3D showings are so much more expensive than a standard movie ticket. Often times they are more than double the price.

If the tickets were priced normally it is suspected that the film would be doing business comparable to Iron Man, which is darn good, but not anywhere like breaking all time box office records.

Doug

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Personally, though I certainly enjoyed it in the theater, I have zero desire to see it again. With the spectacle level reduced on home video, there simply isn't enough engaging story/character development in this movie for repeat viewing - not for me, anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot