Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

james cameron's AVATAR in 3-D

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Doctor Strange said:
Personally, though I certainly enjoyed it in the theater, I have zero desire to see it again. With the spectacle level reduced on home video, there simply isn't enough engaging story/character development in this movie for repeat viewing - not for me, anyway.
I feel the same, though I'd probably watch it again were it rereleased theatrically sometime in the future.

JimWagner

Practically Family
I bought it and watched it this weekend in Blu-ray. Frankly I liked it better in 2D on my big screen tv than I did in the theater in 3D. More brilliant picture without the distraction of the 3D, which didn't work all that well for me because of the way focus and depth of field work. In true 3D the picture would be in focus wherever you looked because your eyes provide the focus and depth of field. If the movie has depth of field matching normal 2D practices (which this move mostly did) then when you look past the point of focus things get out of focus. So the 3D didn't work for me in most scenes.

That's going to be an issue with pretty much all 3D material unless a movie is shot for 3D only, I think.

rumblefish

One Too Many
I just watched it recently.
White man, baaaaaaad. Blue man, goooooood.:rolleyes:
I just love movies that need to remind how evil the bad characters are, with absolutely no redeeming values. And, of course how pure and good,,, blah blah blah...
What's this? A face off between the supreme bad guy and our heroes? Didn't see that coming.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
I watched it yesterday. I thought it was a cracking "Sunday afternoon on the sofa" film. No scary big words or concepts requiring thought, just lots of pretty skinny blue people pottering away to a predictable conclusion. Nice.

MCPRE

Familiar Face
Well, here it goes. I saw it a few months ago and I thought it was visually stunning, 3d was pretty awesome and my blood is starting to boil again.
After about a half hour into it the plot was clear and typical of the same old worn out modern Hollywood theme.
America and Capitalists are greedy murdering heartless SOB's that would trounce and annihilate any poor unsuspecting culture with a vengeance for its own interests. The last straw was when one of the "Blue" people landed in the back of the carrier and "took out" the whole crew of soldiers, resulting in the clapping of a few people in the theater. I sat there thinking what if you were a returning vet from overseas and you went to watch the big box office hit of the year and had to sit there through that type of propaganda after laying your life on the line for this country. Those director types make me want to heave, dont deserve all of their accolades, all of their prosperity and all of their freedoms afforded them by the very people and nation that they demonize.
Sorry but it had to be said.
Also you would not see a movie like this with Jimmy Stewart or Audie Murphy involved in it, nope, never would have happened.:eek:

ratpack66

New in Town
Well I finally seen Avatar today.I was not overly impressed to be truthful on a star scale 1 being ok 2 good 3 very good 4 excellent.I would give it a 1 star.It was the same crappy plot that has been in so many movies rehashed again.Also I wasn't that blown away eith the special effects either.Gee a bunch of floating mountains and stuff whopee.The only characters I actually enjoyed were Col Quidditch and Parker Selfridge(Stephen Lang and Giovanni Ribisi).Will I watch again who knows maybe a few months from now,I may.I'm just glad I didn't waste money at a theater to see it.

Tiller

Practically Family
I'll just say a few more things about this film. As I've said before I only saw in in 2D, but I am a bit worried how everyone is know talking about 3D. Is that what movies are going to become now? Like theme park rides? Story be damned, as long as it's pretty enough, and you feel a part of the "world" something should be praised?

As far as the people who want to kill themselves after seeing this film because they like it so much, and want to live on "Pandora"...:eusa_doh: If there is any sign that our culture, and society has reached a low point it's that some people are so disconnected that they feel suicidal when they are pulled out of their escapes.

JimWagner

Practically Family
MCPRE said:
Also you would not see a movie like this with Jimmy Stewart or Audrey Murphy involved in it, nope, never would have happened.:eek:

You mean like "Apache Rifles"? [huh]

EDIT to add plot synopsis to save everyone some googling:

As a Captain in the Union Calvary, Jeff Stanton (Audie) is charged with trying to force the Indians back to their reservation. Miners also have tried to dig for gold and torture and kill the Indians to do so. Stanton sees the injustice to the Indians and tries to help them. He also falls in love with a half-breed girl. During a peaceful visit to the Indian camp, Stanton is betrayed by the Colonel in charge. Stanton is seriously injured but recovers, and is put back in charge of the post command.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
I've heard Avatar is basically Dances With Wolves with blue pixies and a holographic sympathizer.

Sound about right?

Oh, no, I haven't bought the film and won't be any time soon.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Tiller said:
I only saw in in 2D, but I am a bit worried how everyone is know talking about 3D.
Sorry but It's pretty hard to comment on the Avatar film experience if you haven't seen it in 3D. The reason for 3D madness is the recognition that the technology is a game-changer, as talkies and color were back in the day. Eventually the buzz will die down and story will be king again.

I think I've come up with a variation of the Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon game. I call it Six Degrees of James Cameron. The object is to see how many movies and other sources that Cameron has plagiarized!

For starters I detect a slight family resemblance between the Na'vi of Avatar (yeah, I know they're blue -- Big Diff lol ) and the Martians from Space 1889, a Steampunk role-playing game from the 1980s.

marsking2.jpg

martians.jpg

sf10047.jpg

Tiller

Practically Family
Tomasso said:
Sorry but It's pretty hard to comment on the Avatar film experience if you haven't seen it in 3D. The reason for 3D madness is the recognition that the technology is a game-changer, as talkies and color were back in the day. Eventually the buzz will die down and story will be king again.

If you say so, I watch movies for the stories they tell, and for no other reason. Special effects should be a way to heighten an already good emotional dish, it shouldn't be the main course. If I was going to see something just for the visual experience I'd go on a theme park ride.;)

But that's me. I'm more at home watching a classic on AMC, and I know I have little in common with most special effects aficionados.

As George Lucas used to claim...
[YOUTUBE]tjKaziaNtz8[/YOUTUBE]

But hell it's even questionable if he believes that anymore. So if your one of those people who enjoys the pretty laser shows go for it, I'd rather watch The Maltese Falcon :p.

If I have to watch a movie about an "evil" marauding army that is destroying a "Utopian" place that will never exist again if said army succeeds I'd rather hear Vivien Leigh crying about the Yankees, or John Wayne fighting at the Alamo.;)

Atomic Age

Practically Family
MCPRE said:
Also you would not see a movie like this with Jimmy Stewart or Audrey Murphy involved in it, nope, never would have happened.:eek:

You mean like Broken Arrow (1950) starring Jimmy Stewart?

By 1870, there has been 10 years of cruel war between settlers and Cochise's Apaches. Ex-soldier Tom Jeffords (James Stewart) saves the life of an Apache boy and starts to wonder if Indians are human, after all; soon, he determines to use this chance to make himself an ambassador. Against all odds, his solitary mission into Cochise's stronghold opens a dialogue. Opportunely, the president sends General Howard with orders to conclude peace. But even with Jeffords' luck, the deep grievance and hatred on both sides make tragic failure all too likely.

Doug

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Tiller said:
If you say so, I watch movies for the stories they tell, and for no other reason. Special effects should be a way to heighten an already good emotional dish, it shouldn't be the main course. If I was going to see something just for the visual experience I'd go on a theme park ride.;)

But that's me.

I completely agree with you, and I saw it in 3D and didnt think it was a 'game changer' in the slightest.

It boils down to movie makers saying, "Holly Sh%*! Cameron got all these people to pay 3X the average ticket price to go see his movie! With budgets for films rising, I guess we all gotta make them 3D now! Go get my glasses!"

Even though this movie retread everything it could story wise, it still could have been good. It just wasn't. It was pretty, beautiful, but forgettable.

LD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot