Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JFK and the death of the hat

LondonLuke

One of the Regulars
Whilst wandering in a book shop today, I noticed a book with that same title!
Apparently, it was all due to his hair forming part of his charisma, which a hat would have messed up. And that solves the mystery of the decline of the hat.

Im sort of annoyed with myself for not buying that book now, and might pick it up tomorrow...

Feraud

Bartender
Be glad you saved your money. JFK's glamorous coiffure didn't kill the hat.
There are numerous threads around here that discuss the decline of hat wearing dating back to the very early part of the century.

Edit - Are you referring to Hatless Jack? I don't recall that book stating JFK's hair being the nail in the coffin of hat wearing.

Foofoogal

Banned
well, I sure wonder if the men stopped or the ladies stopped first. That and gloves. I would love gloves to come back. Especially due to winter and germs. Just makes sense. I guess hat wearing more in winter does also. :eek:fftopic:

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
LondonLuke said:
Whilst wandering in a book shop today, I noticed a book with that same title!
Apparently, it was all due to his hair forming part of his charisma, which a hat would have messed up. And that solves the mystery of the decline of the hat.

Im sort of annoyed with myself for not buying that book now, and might pick it up tomorrow...

It's a totally bogus book AND theory. It's been disproved repeatedly. Also, do a search here at the Lounge - there are LOADS of posts on the topic.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
My father told me last night that Pres. William Henry Harrison didn't wear a hat or overcoat to his inauguration, even though it was chilly. He died of pneumonia a month later.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
JFK never wore a hat because he knew deep down that he would never be able to live up to Calvin Coolidge's sense of Old New England style.

calvincoolidge.jpg

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Foofoogal said:
well, I sure wonder if the men stopped or the ladies stopped first. That and gloves. I would love gloves to come back. Especially due to winter and germs. Just makes sense. I guess hat wearing more in winter does also. :eek:fftopic:

Gloves have to make a "comeback" to be worn? Since when has that stopped any of us? I doubt if you would get the sort of looks you would from wearing a hat, either. Especially in winter!

I wear gloves in all but the hottest weather, and it cuts down on colds and flu a lot, not to mention keeps the hands nicer.

I think men stopped wearing hats a bit earlier than women, but really it was more of a generational thing. Younger people stopped wearing them in the 60s. Older people hung on a bit longer. And in my neighborhood, it's not unusual to see older men and women in hats, especially on Sundays.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
MrBern said:
The Topper was formerly worn by his dad, the ambassador.

Where do you get that? "Hatless Jack" explains that he had it specially made for that day, was very fond of it and fussed with it and checked himself out in the mirror with it on and off, saying how much he liked it.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Hmm, maybe Im mistaken. Saw it in a documentary somewhere...mightve been PBS. They showed footage of JFK in the motorcade on the way to the inauguration, standing up in the car & tipping it to his father as they drove by.
I seem to recall them stating it was his father's hat. Perhaps they meant it was like his father's hat.
Click here for a pic of Joe Kennedya at the inauguration
JOE KENNEDY TOPPER

not sure onthe date for this, click for pic of JFK with father & matching hats:
http://www.jamd.com/image/g/51375820

BTW, Jan 21 1960
JohnFKennedy15.jpg

DetroitFalcons

Familiar Face
Miss 1929 said:
Gloves have to make a "comeback" to be worn? Since when has that stopped any of us? I doubt if you would get the sort of looks you would from wearing a hat, either. Especially in winter!

I wear gloves in all but the hottest weather, and it cuts down on colds and flu a lot, not to mention keeps the hands nicer.

I think living in California will give you less looks when you are outside the box than say living in Ohio or Michigan. Here anything outside the box will give you a lot of unwanted attention.

Anyways, I read the book in question. (No, I didn't buy it...I have this old school thing called a library card, mostly because I'm cheap). I use a 2 seat car now and again that I can barely fit in with a ball cap on, and if I have a passenger I would have to put my hat in the trunk. So I'm blaming the Triumph Spitfire and and MG MGB for the death of the hat. :eek:fftopic:

JimInSoCalif

One of the Regulars
I think to some extent that the era that men's hats vanished depends on regional dress standards and also climate.

In the early 50's my Uncle was pretty dapper I thought. He wore things like double breasted pin stripe suits and polka dot bow ties. He lived in So Cal and did not wear a hat down here, but he still had one hat for trips to San Francisco where, I think, people dress better, or at least they did.

Long after we stopped wearing hats in this area, men who live in climates where overcoats are worn probably still wore hats.

I also think people who live in areas with decent public transportation are more likely to wear hats. In So Cal, most folks travel by private auto, so have no need for a hat, nor enough headroom in the car either.

Please excuse me if all of these things have been mentioned before.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy