Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JFK's Cavanagh

FedoraFan112390

Practically Family
Perhaps it was more than the hat industry?
Maybe he liked wearing/carrying one once in a while?
I mean I doubt he'd wear one to visit Jackie in the hospital simply because some hat industry guys asked him to.
Or when he was getting dressed on his way to announce running for President--He wasn't even a major candidate yet, so I doubt the hat industry was chasing him as early as January 1960.

Jack was VERY concerned about the public perception of him. For example, he enjoyed smoking cigars greatly but very rarely allowed himself to be photographed smoking one---He was worried he'd be mocked in the press because of the negative, then active stereotype of the rough, cigar smoking Irishman.

Perhaps he liked wearing a hat sometimes but was afraid to be captured by the ravenous oress wearing one out of fear that he'd be perceived as being "old fashioned" (a lot was made of him being of the new generation, and most of his generation didn't wear hats), or like as simply being like a "typical Democrat" (since FDR and Truman were known for their fedoras), or stereotyped in some other way.

Last edited:

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Jack was VERY concerned about the public perception of him. For example, he enjoyed smoking cigars greatly but very rarely allowed himself to be photographed smoking one---He was worried he'd be mocked in the press because of the negative, then active stereotype of the rough, cigar smoking Irishman.

Perhaps he liked wearing a hat sometimes but was afraid to be captured by the ravenous oress wearing one out of fear that he'd be perceived as being "old fashioned" (a lot was made of him being of the new generation, and most of his generation didn't wear hats), or like as simply being like a "typical Democrat" (since FDR and Truman were known for their fedoras), or stereotyped in some other way.

That's a good consideration. I was just repsonding to your question about his friends in the hat industry. Hatless Jack talks about the public perception - and the hatting industry's perception - of JFK not being much of a hat wearer, and many of the anecdotes in the book support that position. But these photos seem to imply that a hat played some role in his life, even if it wasn't always on his head. An unusual relationship, to be sure.

Brad

FedoraFan112390

Practically Family
It's ironic that JFK is the man popularly blamed for killing fedoras off and yet he was the probably the last President wear or carry one while in office.

Lyndon wore his cowboy hats and Stetsons, and among a large subset of America (especially in the South), to this day they are still rather popular and haven't died out. But I don't recall seeing any photos of him wearing just a fedora while President.

And while Nixon wore a fedora when he was a senator, I've never seen a photo of him wearing one as President.

Hoyt Clagwell

One of the Regulars
Brad, I would say the reason JFK is so often photographed holding his hat is a matter of protocall & ettiquette.Most of the excellent photos on this thread show him greeting very important people. Appearing "Hat in Hand" is a symbol of humility,and respect ,and it was very effective.
He could have appeared in these pictures without a hat, but the fact that he is holding one conveys respect, evident 50 years later as we view them. I wouldn't want to call the hat a prop, but rather a respectfull gesture.No hat = no gesture.As hats became less popular,these types of gestures have lost their signifigance.
It begs the question, though, "Why have a hat if you're not going to wear it?" It's not that the hatting industry had enough influence with him that they could convince him to carry one everywhere he went. Curious situation.

Brad

FedoraFan112390

Practically Family
Seems to me likely that he wore a hat like everybody else, except when it suited his purpose to pose without one to display his hair (so as to emphasize his "youthfulness" and "vigor") and that as usual the media reported the narrative rather than the facts.

Is it just me but is he wearing elevator shoes?

''Spring, 1957 - JFK’s gait evened out after he had a special lift crafted into left shoe by the cobblers at Church’s. His left leg was reportedly one-half inch shorter than his right (5)p.237''

Last edited:

navarre

Vendor
I recall reading a story about John Cavanagh being a friend to the Kennedy family and that JFK carried a Cavanagh as more of a personal favor that any particular preference for the brand. Can any one chime in on that?

Hoyt Clagwell

One of the Regulars
I googled John Cavanagh, and found on Wikipedia that Al Webb VP of sales for Cavanagh, was a close freind of JFK,and accused him of killing the hat industry,so as a favour JFK began carrying around a Cavanagh hat with the label clearly visible.So much for my theory.But if you believe this, it is also easy to see how the legend of JFKs inluence on declining hat sales could take root.

FedoraFan112390

Practically Family
Yeah but to carry it around much of the time, and wear it on VERY casual and even intimate occasions (like going to visit Jackie at the hospital or at the ballpark)? He's photographed wearing a fedora in multiple instances over a year and 11 months...I doubt his friendship with Al Webb was THAT strong. The earliest photograph I've found of him in a fedora is from January or February 1960, the picture of him pulling up his coat. That was on his way to announce he was running for President. I doubt Al Webb was in his ear that early.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I recall reading a story about John Cavanagh being a friend to the Kennedy family and that JFK carried a Cavanagh as more of a personal favor that any particular preference for the brand. Can any one chime in on that?

I haven't run across any information that Cavanagh and the Kennedys were friends. John Cavanagh died in 1957, so he didn't have any influence during JFK's presidency. The only connection I've found is the Al Webb connection.

Brad

FedoraFan112390

Practically Family
JFK greeting Averill Harriman at Palm Beach airport, 1961:
50552115.jpg

FedoraFan112390

Practically Family
JFK on route to announce candidacy, January 1960:
jfkhat1.jpg

President-elect JFK visiting Jackie, who had just given birth to John, Jr., December 1960:
u1257966.jpg

On way to Inauguration, January 20th 1961:
kennedyaftermorningmass.jpg

50552336.jpg

JFK greeting PM Macmillian, April 1st 1961

JFK at Opening Day, Senator's Game, April 1961:
nsapnl7lextr.jpg

JFK with Ike, April 22nd 1961:
photojfkl020037knc17599.jpg

knc1759822apr1961147234.jpg

JFK with Indonesian Prime Minister Sukharno, April 24th, 1961:
50551732.jpg

JFK in Vienna, June 1961:
463620600e509adfc8e.jpg

JFK with PM MacMillian, 1962:
dec1961.jpg

Last edited:

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Damn, I'd love to add that to my collection. It's a prize for sure. I can't even afford the opening bid! lol

Brad

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
JFK's Cavanagh sold for $7,500, only $500 over the opening bid. That's a far cry from the $15,000 to $30,000 the auction house expected.

If any one is interested, my latest blog post is about Kennedy's inaugural top hat, along with some bits about his legacy with hats.

Brad

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW