Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Joann Fabrics Labor Day Sale! make that vintage dress this weekend!

fernande

Vendor
Hi guys- I just wanted to let you know about Joann Fabric's Labor Day sale.
I am lucky to have one very close (7 minutes~!) to my house, so I alway seem to find myself tooling around in there
Although I prefer NYC's garment district for fabrics, Joann has some nice basic selections and as I walked through my store today, I noticed some really cute
Houndstooth /Plaid patterns (lightweight wool, great for coats)
Brocades (for that 50's asian inspired wiggle dress- on sale 5.99!!!

They also had some really nice rayon prints and ginghams in the ultra clearance selection, for around 4.99 a yard. I know the selection would differ from store to store, but usually the same designs go clearance the same time.

Roc Lon Muslin Bolt is 49.99 (50% off) might get one for myself so I can really work out the "kinks" in my own vintage sewing projects

Mesh/Tulle is 30% off- I was thinking of making my own crinoline skirt- anyone done this?

Novelty Cottons (where I saw vintage-y/retro themed cherry prints, western, ect) are 30% off.

They also have a flier that has 40% off any regular priced item!! (maybe you can print this coupon out online?)

I think I might use this to buy myself a cutting mat.

Although they say "one coupon per customer" I think its more "one coupon per visit" at least at my Joann, sometimes multiple times during the week I stop by and they always honor my coupon. heh. perhaps this is because all the clerks are 14 years old and don't care. I don't know!
But-I encourage you to sweetly bend the rules save lots of dough and make lots of pretty vintage inspired dresses.

MissHuff

A-List Customer
and McCall's patterns are going to be $1.99!! lol I scouted some out the other day while I was picking up the same awesome deal on Butterick patterns. Definitely go in if you have one nearby and see if you can find a good deal.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Shoot! I need some more rayon for church dresses. We'll be out of town until Tuesday. Do you know how long the sale runs?

Josephine

One Too Many
I have the flyer and it says the sale is from Saturday to Monday, but on some things the sale goes until the 8th. ??? Check their store locator and see if there are any near where you're going.

MissHuff, are only the McCalls going to be $1.99? In "retro", I couldn't find any from McCall that I liked, only this one which isn't really, pattern M5137, but two of Butterick's, B4790 (which another of our members made) and B4919.

My problem is that I have a large bosom, so I need dresses that have a scoop neck, or a V as opposed to a boat neck or something close to the neck. I think I am going to have to hunt the Look What I Made thread to see if there are any patterns out there like that 'cause I can't find them! :(

crwritt

One Too Many
I haven't seen rayon at my local JoAnn Fabrics for at least a year, and I go there once a week, maybe twice. Tons of icky polyester, though. I guess I'll have to find a JoAnn's out of town.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I wish I'd known! I just spent a bunch of money at another fabric store this weekend on a project I hope to work on. The McCall's Retro pattern I bought was like $15. UGH!

That said, I'll be out of town this weekend anyway. Hopefully the sale will run longer.

ssubialdea

One of the Regulars
great! I didn't have time to go last weekend but I'll make sure to stop by this weekend. Always good when you can catch a deal. Thanks for the heads up!

fernande

Vendor
Field Trip!!!- Stich'n'Gossip Party

crwritt said:
I haven't seen rayon at my local JoAnn Fabrics for at least a year, and I go there once a week, maybe twice. Tons of icky polyester, though. I guess I'll have to find a JoAnn's out of town.

When I say "rayon" its nothing like the cold swingy rayons of the 40s- but there were a few nicer weight (heavier) "modern rayons" in nice vintage looking florals. This is probably the best you'll get- but do-able and still nice.
Some of the poly fabrics at Joann frighten me- I'd never in a million years wear some of them. I'd feel like if it was too hot outside, I'd spontaneously combust!

But some of their cotttons are quite cute that were around 2.99-4.99
Many of these are near the "keepsake calicos"/quilting cottons- and if cut on th bias would be gorgeous.
There was a black cotton with huge red poppies, that is just beautiful- look for it in the red florals/black section- (all the quilting cottons are arranged by color schematic)
I think all the cotton prints JoAnn sells are pretty much the same storewide.

The JoAnn near me (The Palisades in west Nyack, Ny) is definately a nicer Joann "superstore"- so if you live within anywhere near it- it might be good idea to check it out. I also noticed they seem to have quite a few sewing machines used/refurbished- for really good prices. one of my NYC girlfriends picked one up and is sewin' away down in Soho- she's thriled she got it for $199.99.

crwritt

One Too Many
The store near me has been in the process of renovation for awhile, so I think they've been getting less stock in. The store near you sounds really great, but as I live in Maine I don't think I'll be heading that way soon. I may check the Lewiston or Brunswick stores, though.

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
I am going to be out of town, too. And I was hoping to be able to get to a good sale soon to buy cool fabric for burb cloths. I really don't like most of the prints out there for kids. Fun, funky, atomic or mod patterns are more my style. Or the classic looking black and white pattern that looks like wallpaper scrolls that has been popular lately. And since I have to have the thing draped across my shoulder as a fashion accessory in church and what not, it better look good on me, darn it lol

Josephine

One Too Many
MissHuff said:
Has anyone seen McCall's Pattern 5480
I can't wait to go to the store tomorrow and grab all of these patterns I've already pre-screened for easier shopping :D

That's a nice coat. We should all list the ones we want to get so others don't miss them. Though the only ones I could find retro-ish that I liked were Butterick and Vogue. Are those on sale too or is it just McCalls?

MissHuff

A-List Customer
Josephine said:
That's a nice coat. We should all list the ones we want to get so others don't miss them. Though the only ones I could find retro-ish that I liked were Butterick and Vogue. Are those on sale too or is it just McCalls?

It's just the McCalls. The Buttericks were on sale last weekend so I don't know when they'll be on sale again. If the Vintage Vogue patterns ever went on sale for 1.99 I think I'd faint before buying every single pattern.lol

MissHuff said:
It's just the McCalls. The Buttericks were on sale last weekend so I don't know when they'll be on sale again. If the Vintage Vogue patterns ever went on sale for 1.99 I think I'd faint before buying every single pattern.lol

Vogue is on sale over the weekend at Hancock for 3.99. Not the low 1.99 they usually are but I did get one. I have most of the ones I wanted. McCalls will be 99 cents there on Monday only.

Josephine

One Too Many
I just got back from Joannes', and Vogue was on sale for 3.99, and Butterick was on sale for 5.99. Not as good as the McCalls for 1.99, but if you missed the others and needed it now... :)

I got three different materials to make three versions of one dress (Butterick 4790), a dark green with white polka dots, a dark blue with lighter blue flowers, and a black with red cherries. I wanted a navy blue with white polka dots and a medium blue with small white flowers but they didn't have the 5 yards I needed for the dress. :(

I will post pics as soon as the dresses are done.

Barbara

One of the Regulars
I must've deleted my Joann's store coupon from my mailbox. Does anyone have one that they can send that I can print off? I went to Joann's yesterday and the cashier didn't ring up my fabric (It was wierd, she just sorted of tossed the ticket in the trash can as I was bemoaning the fact I didn't have that 40% off coupon). It is so hot here my brain didn't register until I was on my way home. I feel obliged to trudge back and set it straight, but it would be nice to get 40% off.

Josephine

One Too Many
Barbara said:
I must've deleted my Joann's store coupon from my mailbox. Does anyone have one that they can send that I can print off? I went to Joann's yesterday and the cashier didn't ring up my fabric (It was wierd, she just sorted of tossed the ticket in the trash can as I was bemoaning the fact I didn't have that 40% off coupon). It is so hot here my brain didn't register until I was on my way home. I feel obliged to trudge back and set it straight, but it would be nice to get 40% off.

Are you sure the fabric wasn't on sale? I was going to use my 40% off on some fabric but it rang up as on sale even thought the signage didn't say sale.

Barbara

One of the Regulars
Josephine said:
Are you sure the fabric wasn't on sale? I was going to use my 40% off on some fabric but it rang up as on sale even thought the signage didn't say sale.

The receipt didn't even show she rang up the fabric. She missed it completely. I saw a coupon that showed 40% off, but it looks like it's only for online. Is there a special one?

Josephine

One Too Many
Barbara said:
The receipt didn't even show she rang up the fabric. She missed it completely. I saw a coupon that showed 40% off, but it looks like it's only for online. Is there a special one?

I get their flyer in the mail with the 40% off coupon for anything that isn't on sale. Which was tough to find this weekend! I got some bias tape, but as it's only $1.89, 40% of that didn't seem worth it.

You could go back to the store and tell them you weren't charged for the fabric,but you won't be able to use the online coupon. And I'm willing to bet the fabric was on sale, so if you had the flyer coupon you couldn't use that either.

Barbara

One of the Regulars
Josephine said:
I get their flyer in the mail with the 40% off coupon for anything that isn't on sale. Which was tough to find this weekend! I got some bias tape, but as it's only $1.89, 40% of that didn't seem worth it.

You could go back to the store and tell them you weren't charged for the fabric,but you won't be able to use the online coupon. And I'm willing to bet the fabric was on sale, so if you had the flyer coupon you couldn't use that either.

Ah of course, yes it was 30% off. That flyer coupon was only for regular priced items. I just feel a little guilty over it, though I can't believe the sales clerk was paying that little attention. I don't know how they'd track down the price of it as I bought the remainder of the bolt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eltqt