Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Johnny Depp influence: Wisconsin bankers want no hats

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
This is nothing new in Massachusetts. For at least the last 15 years, customers have been asked to remove sunglasses and hats when entering the branch of any bank. This is for the protection on the bank's employees. A sign is posted at the door, some ATMs ask this also, but compliance is much less.

There is an instantly discernable difference between a hat worn as a disguise and one worn as an article of fashion, and one that tellers are adept at recognizing. If an individual were to walk into a branch with intent and wearing a hoody with sunglasses, the entire branch would have their fingers on whatever alarm was available to them.

Wolfwood

A-List Customer
Delthayre said:
I make deposits and withdrawals in person since human tellers don't beep loudly and endlessly at me and can be rather more accommodating than an obnoxious machine. Dear mercy do I ever despise automatic teller machines; it's a miracle that I haven't taken a hammer to one by now.
In Finland they discourage personal service by charging separate service charge if you go to the human teller. Salaries are paid directly into a bank account and since I rarely use cash, I seldom need to use the automatic tellers either.

Don't do this it

A really BAD practical joke! DO NOT DO THIS!!!!

Note: (Perhaps, best if done in a small rural town where everyone knows each other.) Ever since hearing a comedian talk about this I always have this in the back of my head but won't do it as it's cruel to all involved, but funny none the less:

For a little excitement, snag some of the deposit and/or withdrawal slips from your local bank, take home and on the back of the slip, while using gloves, scrawl:

"I HAVE A GUN! HAND OVER ALL THE MONEY!"

On your next visit put a few back in with the other slips at the customer courtesy desk.:eek:

Hilarity ensues.:eek:

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Notes to self:
1.) Check deposit slips to see if idiot has written threat on back as joke.
2.) Find and kill idiot.

You're supposed to check those slips first anyway.

One scam is to write account number in so people deposit into your account.

There are always used boo-boo slips all over the desk and even put back in the holder at most banks I have been to especially when busy like Fridays.

Always check you're getting a fresh slip.

Spatterdash

A-List Customer
If they want my hat (which is completely reasonable for a bank), they can put a hat/coat check girl at the entrance like any other quality establishment.
I'm sure plenty of college students would appreciate a job where tipping doesn't involve booze, "dancing" or slinging food.

Belegnole

One of the Regulars
A Bank lobby is a public space by definition when concerning etiquette. Of course seeing how I live in Wisconsin I think I'll have to hit every bank in town while wearing my largest hat. See you there Pduck!

indycop

I'll Lock Up
I don't remove my hat or my piece in a bank. Every bank security picture I have seen hoping to close a case has been useless. Some you can barely tell they are even human! Department stores have much better ones...

ron521

One of the Regulars
I've been asked to remove my hard hat when going to the bank on my lunch break.

I don't mind making the job of the guards and bank employees a little less stressful.

Wouldn't want them to think I was one of the Village People.

funneman

Practically Family
I recently changed Credit Unions. I walked up to the teller the other day to make a deposit and she asked me to please remove my hat. On my way out the door, I noticed the small sign on the front door.

Pduck

One of the Regulars
Belegnole said:
A Bank lobby is a public space by definition when concerning etiquette. Of course seeing how I live in Wisconsin I think I'll have to hit every bank in town while wearing my largest hat. See you there Pduck!

I'll be watching for the guy in the nice hat being chased down the street by police.
:)

Pilgrim

One Too Many
And just HOW MANY of their baseball cap wearing customers do the banks think will pay any attention to this request???

I'll bet there are 300 of them for every guy wearing a fedora.

And no, I'm not planning on removing mine. The bank guards are perfectly welcome to watch me as closely as they wish. Then if I leave my car keys, they'll probably remind me and save me some trouble. I do remove sunglasses, mostly because I like to see!

Being watched isn't always a bad thing.:D

RHY

One of the Regulars
Hats and Sunglasses Removed, Please!

Thank god the don't ask me to leave my 45 cal. Colt Commander outside the banks, just my hat and sunglasses!

The biggest bank robbers actually sit on the Board of Directors of the Financial Institution. They get away with millions for themselves and their friends. The poor, stupid hold up artist gets a few lousy thousand or so, and a dye packet exploding in his pants.

Remember the pen is mightier than the sword, especially when it comes to White Collar Crime. You rule Bernie Madoff!

Chinaski

One Too Many
In a hurry once, I went into a bank wearing the wrong hat and was QUICKLY accosted by bank personnel. Honest mistake on my part, but I had forgotten in my haste to remove my motorcycle helmet and sunglasses...

Spats McGee

One Too Many
For at least the last couple of years, there's been a sign at the counter where I bank that says to remove hats and sunglasses. No such sign at the door, though. Anyway, I always comply & it's become a bit of a running joke between me and the tellers.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I dont know where (some of) you guys live but no one has ever given me a second look when I walk into a bank with any sort of hat on my head, my own bank branch especially. In the cold weather, I have walked in there with my helmet on so I dont freeze my face off, and remove it as soon as I clear the inner door.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy