Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Johnson Leather Inc Jackets and Repair Work

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Love that D pocket!

Edward, I was discussing the Johnson Leathers web site with Alan a couple of months ago and he said he doesn't
care how lousy the site is. He's glad to do orders off the web or over the mail, but his preference is to meet the
customer in person and talk it over. He feels they have enough business and he likes the personal contact. Works
for me, but I live not too far away. Anyway, point is, don't expect a lot of improvements to the site any time soon.

Lando

Practically Family
custom61.JPG

There's a quick pic of the back that Johnson's posted in their custom section. Saves me taking a photo. I'll get some wear pics of the thing when the weather cools off already. Between the heat and the humidity it gets hard to think about anything but shorts and hawaiian shirts.

Lando

Practically Family
Thanks Worf. I hardly deserve it.

Working on a new design with Alan. Trying to come up with a hybrid of the Howard Hughes Jacket Belstaff made for the Aviator movie and Johnson's M120, because I like the knits and prefer not such a slim fit. See what we come up with.

Next week though, my custom Bison D-pocket should ship. So I'll throw up some pics of it when it arrives. The cool jackets always get to me in the summer I swear.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the effort and the sharing. Interesting designs, different colors, different makes and marks AND you're pushing the envelope, all great things in my view. AND you're big enough for me to buy some of your cast-offs when you're done :D. Thanks again. You've really got me thinking about Johnson Leathers.

Worf

Lando

Practically Family
9610442824_8b3073cb29_b.jpg

Here you go. Johnson's Custom, built on a M200, redwood 5oz Bison with a D pocket and flannel lining. I'm pretty blown away by how well this one turned out. Just wanted to get a quick pic up for now.

NDR

New in Town
Just thought I'd post a pic of my Johnson Leathers motorcycle jacket in here. It's a reproduction of an old TT Leathers jacket I bought off of ebay with some additional customization and armor.

Alan and co. were a pleasure to work with.

8699728864_24bb931aac_o.jpg

8699729118_52cec349df_o.jpg

On:

9055857240_a8fbae3cea_z.jpg

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
9610442824_8b3073cb29_b.jpg

Here you go. Johnson's Custom, built on a M200, redwood 5oz Bison with a D pocket and flannel lining. I'm pretty blown away by how well this one turned out. Just wanted to get a quick pic up for now.

Can we get some close-ups on it? Looks amazing!

Highwaymanman

A-List Customer
Man, I can't believe this guy just builds an entire custom design just like that. Each of these jackets could nigh on be a flagship line for any other of the top makers. he just builds it and moves on to the next. You have to admire that in this day and age.

eggleman

One of the Regulars
Wonder why more manufacturers don't use buffalo/bison hide ..
Always seem to have a fantastic grain.
Interesting looking jacket .. don't know if I could live with so few pockets ?

D

Deleted member 16736

Wonder why more manufacturers don't use buffalo/bison hide ..
Always seem to have a fantastic grain.
Interesting looking jacket .. don't know if I could live with so few pockets ?

Because the finished jacket made in buffalo hide weighs a ton.

Depends on how thin they want to work the hide ..I'd imagine it'd work better on some designs than others ...Not so good for those designs needing a softer drape ?
Buffalo/elk/deer can be heavier/thicker, but they're also pretty soft. At least the items I've had. They tend to drape nicely over time. But I've never owned anything like Lando's. Time will tell.

'Some' American Buffalo/Bison can feel quite thick..but due more to a somewhat sponginess of the grainy leather rather than actual heavier weight IMO. Whereas WaterBuffalo has a different crisper hand. However..I have owned a couple of Bison jackets of a thinner hide that had little to no sponginess and seemed somewhere in the middle. I assumed this could be due to the tanning process as well. Johnson's Bison hide looks very nice to me.
HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred