Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Johnson Leather Inc Jackets and Repair Work

Equality 7-2521

One of the Regulars
Is there a general charge for adjusting the size of a jacket/coat at Johnsons or is it a case by case basis? I like this jacket but it's a 38/40 while I'm a 36.

ForestForTheTrees

One of the Regulars
I've posted so much on this forum about Johnson Leathers that I've actually grown tired of reading myself ramble on. It's become warm enough here this time of year that my JL jackets are tucked away in the closet and the only leather jacket seeing time out and about is my Langlitz while I'm out riding. (My next purchase from Johnson will be some of the Forcefield Body Armour that they carry.)

I will add that while I haven't asked Alan about this, I believe they carry more than one option for black overdyed cowhide. The option that I chose for my jacket was 3.75 oz. Horween Chromexcel. It seems that they also offer a heavier 4 oz. option, but I'm not aware of any other details about the leather itself. I'd suggest clarifying with Alan.

You can look through my past posts for plenty of information on my experiences with the fine folks at Johnson Leathers. I'm now just simply wearing and enjoying the jackets that they've made for me and am looking forward to watching them age in the coming years. They'll get better looking with wear, hopefully somewhat counteracting the impact that time will have on me :). I'm happy enough with the two custom jackets that they've made for me that I haven't been thinking about buying any others and haven't been spending nearly as much time around here. I couldn't be happier with them.

Jack Burton

One of the Regulars
After a 2nd bad experience with the same jacket maker, I've decided to try Johnson as well.

Are all their zippers antiqued or brass? Or do they offer nickle zips too? Does anyone have any close-up shots of the black-over-brown leather? I'm liking the the M-200L but I've only seen one photo so far of that model.

After a 2nd bad experience with the same jacket maker, I've decided to try Johnson as well.

Are all their zippers antiqued or brass? Or do they offer nickle zips too? Does anyone have any close-up shots of the black-over-brown leather? I'm liking the the M-200L but I've only seen one photo so far of that model.

They offer a range of zippers, different finishes, different sizes/weights, single/double.

Lando

Practically Family
Here's my M200 in the Horween Over Dye leather. It's basically stock outside of an adjustment in the body and sleeve length and the alternate collar configuration. This is new so the Horween Overdye Leather is black and smooth and very stiff. Like one of the stiffer leathers I've encountered lol. Beyond that, I think this jacket came out really well. I'll get fit pics up when I get a chance.
8693794513_e7c44a5f95_b.jpg

Here are the fit pics I promised of the Bison jackets. They're loose enough to wear with a sweater and not hinder my mobility at all. The sleeves are a bit long but feel just fine in the driving position. Maybe sometime down the road I'll have an inch or two taken off.
8693794173_e13af48a6d_b.jpg

8693794995_3e1b7e01d0_b.jpg

I agree whole heartedly with ForestForTheTrees sentiment. "I'm now just simply wearing and enjoying the jackets that they've made for me and am looking forward to watching them age in the coming years."

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
You look like a mean motor scooter with that pig tusk on your zipper Lando....I like it alot. That overdye you just showed, is this supposed to wear into a brown finish over time? And you say its stiff and hard wearing? Thats the one Ive been looking at, but have never seen it! Just like the sound of it....

Lando, those look great on you. Like the back of a 1936 nickel! Seriously, those hides are great. And I think they need a big fella to pull 'em off. You done it. That's not one of your teeth, is it? lol

Lando

Practically Family
8693968999_bc2cdb6e45_b.jpg

It's not the best, but it'll give an idea of the fit.
Bunyip, this leather is suppose to fade to brown. It has a black dye across the top then fades to the brown beneath over time. The close up of the cuff shows what the leather looks like from behind, which should help to give you a better idea of what it fades eventually to. It's only a 4oz hide, which isn't too heavy for me, but the process by which they make the leather makes it very stiff at first. Alan told me that if I wanted to break it in faster, I should put it in a dryer with no heat with a ton of baseballs for 5 hours. He advised me to go to a laundromat for this exercise lol. So, it feels pretty hard wearing, but you'll be breaking this leather in for a while.
8693969039_d1dbab3e88_b.jpg

Butte, are you implying that I was at some time an ogre, and have since had my tusks shaved down and converted to zipper pulls? I think a smaller build could pull the bison hide off, it would just depend on the cut of the jacket. I tend to stay away from too close a fit, but, I think the bison would look very cool on a close fitting cafe racer or similar.

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Lets be clear fellahs, small guys are for buying blue label jackets and getting sand kicked in their face at the beach...us big boys get the tough bikes, the chicks.......and apparently pig tusks.....tough hide for tough men....

...Butte, are you implying that I was at some time an ogre, and have since had my tusks shaved down and converted to zipper pulls? I think a smaller build could pull the bison hide off, it would just depend on the cut of the jacket. I tend to stay away from too close a fit, but, I think the bison would look very cool on a close fitting cafe racer or similar.
All I can say is "That'll do donkey, that'll do..." lol

Lando

Practically Family
Been some talk about Johnson leather so I thought I might post these on this thread.
First one is a 5.5oz Rough Out G1 jacket. The second one is a 4.5oz Gold leather vintage style D pocket motor cycle jacket. Alan was great putting these together and they came out great. Nice heavy dependable jackets. Meant to post them a while ago but I was sick for a while and then just forgot.
9500797908_605d56baec_b.jpg

9500798176_d3c9db581d_b.jpg

Lando

Practically Family
Lando, do you have more pics of the D-Pocket??? That leather looks great, and I'd love to see it with some wear.

Hasn't got much wear because it came to me early in the summer. Got to wait till I get some cold to beat it up lol. What pics of it do you want? Got it hanging here so let me know.

Hasn't got much wear because it came to me early in the summer. Got to wait till I get some cold to beat it up lol. What pics of it do you want? Got it hanging here so let me know.
Would like to see your smiling face wearing it. When it gets worn, updates :)

Edward

Bartender

I'd love to see a shot of the back of this one. Is it a halfbelt? (Oh, now, this.... with a halfbelt like the Aero Sunburst.... that would be something!). Do Johnson have a website / priceguide for this sort of thing? I revently bought a D-pocket they made, and it's a great jacket. Website seems very limited, though (I had a look last week, curious about price of a Perfecto style from them compared to Schott, but they didn't have much listed there).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters