Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Joker's hat

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I didn't see all that many Akubras look like that in country Victoria in the 70's but they were around. The Pastoralist still has this look. I recall the style being most popular with women.

pastoralist-bgg-tn.jpg

DougC

Practically Family
I watched a music video from Midnight Oil from the 80's the other day--that pastoralist was popular with the band too.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I have no doubt that men and pop stars also wore them, just saying that I noticed more women wearing them. I think the most popular Akubra was the squatter. It was the most commonly seen country Akubra you would see in the 1970's. A notable percentage of them were worn pork pie.

DaveSobel

New in Town
Stubled across this thread, and figured I’ Add to it in case the OP never found what they were looking for. The hat you want is a type called a tando. It is the classic zoot suit hat. They have a low-ish telescoped crown(about 3.5-4”) and usually about a 4” brim(although you could cut it down. You can telescope a fedora with a wide brim and get the same look. Zoot Suits by El Pachuco in Torrance, Ca is the only company carrying them that I know of.

Wesslyn

Practically Family
Oh man, this hasn't been settled?
It's a Herbert Johnson. You can get one from them probably via custom order, probably on the same block they made Jack's on, and probably whatever color you'd like.
HJ did a ton of movie hats in the 80s. Batman, Roger Rabbit, and some weird professor of archaeology that probably no one here has ever heard of...

NightwingBegins

New in Town
Oh man, this hasn't been settled?
It's a Herbert Johnson. You can get one from them probably via custom order, probably on the same block they made Jack's on, and probably whatever color you'd like.
HJ did a ton of movie hats in the 80s. Batman, Roger Rabbit, and some weird professor of archaeology that probably no one here has ever heard of...
Call me the necromancer because I'm bringing this back!

Herbert Johnson did NOT make the Joker's main hats. They made, from what I understand, the black top hat from the "Uncle Bingo" scene.

Dobbs of New York made his fedoras. Here's a link to one that sold with a screenshot where you can match the inside. https://propstoreauction.com/view-auctions/catalog/id/78/lot/18130/

I hope this helps.

Now that we have better pics can we agree on the style? And if so, what style is it? View attachment 336337 View attachment 336338 View attachment 336339 View attachment 336340 View attachment 336341
It fits the dimensions of a run of the mill fedora. At least a 2 1/2" brim width perhaps wider. In the pic of the underside of the brim it looks as though it could reach 2 3/4". A 4 1/4" crown height as bashed, soft felt and beat up some to give it a lived in look. Nothing to distinguish itself other than the purple felt.

It fits the dimensions of a run of the mill fedora. At least a 2 1/2" brim width perhaps wider. In the pic of the underside of the brim it looks as though it could reach 2 3/4". A 4 1/4" crown height as bashed, soft felt and beat up some to give it a lived in look. Nothing to distinguish itself other than the purple felt.

And if it's off the shelf, then the purple is a 70s tip off (as are the sweat and liner, to be honest).

Wesslyn

Practically Family
Call me the necromancer because I'm bringing this back!

Herbert Johnson did NOT make the Joker's main hats. They made, from what I understand, the black top hat from the "Uncle Bingo" scene.

Dobbs of New York made his fedoras. Here's a link to one that sold with a screenshot where you can match the inside. https://propstoreauction.com/view-auctions/catalog/id/78/lot/18130/

I hope this helps.
Well I stand corrected.
Nothing like getting a notification to prove me wrong about something to bring me outta retirement on here!

Pretty neat pics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy