Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just a few questions...

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I've been here almost a year and a half. I've outerwear from Aero, Goodwear, Filson, Schott, Gloverall, Avirex (Vintage) and U.S. Authentic. I've learned a great deal from the folks here, most of whom shall remain nameless as to protect the guilty, but I've still questions. Whether they're noobish in nature is for you folks to tell me. All help/answers gratefully accepted.

1. Those ventelation holes in the armpits of leather jackets, do they work... and if so how?

2. Re above... do I have to pump my arms like a duck to make the air circulate?

3. Is there a hide as soft AND as strong as Capeskin but more readily available?

4. What was considered the "Golden Age" of Outerwear? Was it the 30's? 40's?

5. Just how big a sin is a sleeve being "off the shoulder"?

Just a few questions that've been troubling me... Thanks in advance...

Worf

Plumbline

One Too Many
I've been here almost a year and a half. I've outerwear from Aero, Goodwear, Filson, Schott, Gloverall, Avirex (Vintage) and U.S. Authentic. I've learned a great deal from the folks here, most of whom shall remain nameless as to protect the guilty, but I've still questions. Whether they're noobish in nature is for you folks to tell me. All help/answers gratefully accepted.

1. Those ventelation holes in the armpits of leather jackets, do they work... and if so how?

YES .. by forcing air out through the armpit and sucking fresh air in through the space at the bottom because you didn't buy the correct trim 1940's corset like fit ... you do, however, have to imitate a chicken at all times when wearing said jacket for the full cooling effect ... and occasionally mutter .. "9 stitches per inch" and " those pocket flaps are just too square"

No .. A CHICKEN .. see above ... and the pecking head motion REALLY helps !

3. Is there a hide as soft AND as strong as Capeskin but more readily available?

Yes .... dolphin skin ... and it has the benefit of being naturally waterproof.

I think the 1980's is the era you are looking for :) :) :)

Well Moses mentioned it in the 11 commandments .. but he dropped the tablet on the way down from Mt. Sini so it didn't get into the final draft !!!

Worf

:)

IXL

One Too Many
Sleeve off shoulder: no big sin.

Vent holes: they actually do allow the hot, steamy, humid environment that builds up in the chest/ armpit area a place to exit, which makes wearing the jacket in warmer weather a bit more tolerable. One could accomplish the same thing simply by unzipping the jacket a bit, but then those cool vent holes would be useless. Pumping is not required.

The Golden Age of outer wear: includes both the 30's AND the 40's.

Worf, brother, you've got a hell of a lot of jackets!! If my wife starts to complain about mine, I going to show her your post.....

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Sleeve off shoulder: no big sin.

Vent holes: they actually do allow the hot, steamy, humid environment that builds up in the chest/ armpit area a place to exit, which makes wearing the jacket in warmer weather a bit more tolerable. One could accomplish the same thing simply by unzipping the jacket a bit, but then those cool vent holes would be useless. Pumping is not required.

The Golden Age of outer wear: includes both the 30's AND the 40's.

Worf, brother, you've got a hell of a lot of jackets!! If my wife starts to complain about mine, I going to show her your post.....

Shhh... keep that on the "down low"! If puddin' ever finds out muh goose is well and TRULY cooked. Besides, you're catchin' up fast and doin' jest fine yerself there pilgrim!

Worf

Worf

1. Yes they work to an extent. Better with than without.
2. You can if you like. We wouldn't laugh much..but I can't speak for Butte.
3. Not that I know of. You may need to go with goat(which isn't as soft).
4. Golden age? I think leather jackets were of more stylish design with intricate trim features in the '30s and '40s. The '50s leather jacket styles seemed to offer more simple designs. In the '60s new designs came along here in the USA such as the café..etc. '70s..'80's..'90s the oversize phaze became popular. Remember..nylon..cloth..and insulated were developed from(I suppose) the late '40s to present which took away from leather as dominating. So the 'golden age of leather jackets was probably in the '30s-'40s..athough still popular throughout the '50s until present.
5. A sin? Well squared up shoulders on a jacket..whether leather or suit jacket always looks more 'fitted' or better fitting. Off the shoulder somewhat gives a more casual appearance. If more extreme..a sloppy ill fitting look...of course.
HD

DiamondDave

Vendor
Greetings,

As to question 3... Elkskin is just as durable if not more so. That said, certain places offer aniline Elk Calf that is an absolutely STUNNING alternative. I have some on order currently. I will certainly offer up an evaluation of it when it arrives.

DD

schitzo

Suspended
re number 1: I've got a jacket without the holes, and I wish it had them. So my conclusion is they aint just for show

And now a question of my own please..

Joel, where are the pictures of your new Good Wear?

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
1. I've always understood the vent holes to function more to allow air out when you're putting the jacket on and wearing it (rather than trapping air and making the jacket 'balloon').
2. Nah - you'll just look daft.
3. Capeskin isn't particularly strong - well worn/supple goat would do the trick.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy