Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just another newbie looking for the right hat

wing-nut

New in Town
I'm not usually a hat kind of guy, but I wish that I were. I am a pastor in rural Central Texas where just about every man wears a hat. (You can take attendance by looking at the hat pegs across the back of the church.) I've been given a couple of cowboy hats and they are just too big in the brim, too stiff, and I look like a goof. So I've passed them on to boys who don't have a father to give them their first hat or to a man who needed it more than I.

I am 50, average build, rather weak chin and large stick-out ears. (hence the unfortunate but descriptive nickname.)

I've been thinking of a panama to keep the summer sun off of my ears and fit in a little better when working alongside some of these men. When trying on hats in the department store my wife winces less at those that have a brim of less than 3 inches and crown less than 4. I would like something other than a cowboy shaped brim. Around here most men have a dress hat, but the important hat is the one that they wear it hard and wear it out. I guess you could say that I would rather be caught wearing an honest beater instead of a pretty hat.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for your help.

I've read enough of your posts to know that Panama Bob is a good start. I've already sent him this same post.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I like your philosophy, welcome to the Lounge. If you're determined to go with a straw, PanamaBob is the place to go. Very good quality for the price, and if you get one of the cheaper grades you can easily replace it whenever you need.

If you ever wish to go felt, nothing meets and exceeds the qualifications of a "beater" like an Akubra.

HatsDirect main Akubra page: http://hatsdirect.com/cgi-bin/products.cgi?group=Akubra+Hats&page=0

DavidMorgan (US seller) Akubra page: http://www.davidmorgan.com/index.php?cPath=2_22&page=all

EverythingAustralian (usually lower prices, good service, but they don't always have the color you want): http://everythingaustralian.com.au/displayproduct.asp?id=2&cat=Akubra+Hats

Given your needs and the dimensions you suggested, if you were to go for an Akubra I would highly recommend their highest selling model, the Akubra Cattleman.

Last edited:

wing-nut

New in Town
Neo, I've got the felt covered for now. A very wise and kind old gentleman gave me his 30-40 year old black felt dress hat. He said it didn't make sense to be buried in such a nice hat. His newer one would do just fine. He is dead and gone and when the occasion arises I'll wear his, proud to hear "that's Garvin's hat." Yes it is.

By the way here in Central Texas felt working hats are reserved for the coldest nastiest time of the year--usually pulling a calf or some other miserable slimy nasty task in the middle of the longest night of the year. Maybe if all I have is a summer working hat I can avoid getting called to help string fence in the ice or digging in the nearly frozen mud to wrap a chain around a stuck tractor. They'll say "He doesn't have the hat for the job." HA!!

Neophyte

lol lol lol.

Well, sounds like the straw hat is for you :). Hopefully Panama Bob will email you back with something to your liking.

Last edited:

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Welcome, wing-nut! (That's just fun to say.)

I think that Garvin's hat needs a buddy, and I second Neo, based on what you said of your wife's preferences. Scout out an Akubra that she approves of. Straws are fine, but you'll want some variety, and who knows, if you do get stuck pulling a calf or two on a cold night, the Akubra will come clean with less toil.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
If you want a straw hat that can stand some abuse, you might want to have a look at Sunbody Hats. They are palm leaf hats, and are much more durable than Panamas, as they can be worn in the rain.

However, they are not as light and cool as panamas. I can vouch for PanamaBob's stuff. Great hats, I have two of them.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I'm not usually a hat kind of guy, but I wish that I were. I am a pastor in rural Central Texas where just about every man wears a hat. (You can take attendance by looking at the hat pegs across the back of the church.) I've been given a couple of cowboy hats and they are just too big in the brim, too stiff, and I look like a goof. So I've passed them on to boys who don't have a father to give them their first hat or to a man who needed it more than I.

I am 50, average build, rather weak chin and large stick-out ears. (hence the unfortunate but descriptive nickname.)

I've been thinking of a panama to keep the summer sun off of my ears and fit in a little better when working alongside some of these men. When trying on hats in the department store my wife winces less at those that have a brim of less than 3 inches and crown less than 4. I would like something other than a cowboy shaped brim. Around here most men have a dress hat, but the important hat is the one that they wear it hard and wear it out. I guess you could say that I would rather be caught wearing an honest beater instead of a pretty hat.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for your help.

I've read enough of your posts to know that Panama Bob is a good start. I've already sent him this same post.

Sounds like we're almost nieghbors. I live up in North East Texas, the DFW Metroplex and my sister lives down in the Hill Country ( Fredriksburg/Kerrville area) and I am aware of the type of hat environment you live in :) As much as I like my PB Panama's, if I had your proffesion and lived in your part of Texas I would go for a Straw Stetson Open Road. The Priest down in Kerrville where my sister attends church wears one as well as her attorney husband who practices in Kerr county and down in San Antonio. It would fit in with the western theme so to speak down there and with it's shorter brim you wouldn't feel so much like a "goof" Give it some thought :)

wing-nut

New in Town
Great suggestions! thanks to all of you.

Neo, I really like that Akubra style, still looks similar to western style, but without the turned up brim. Looks like they could take a beating.

Yeps, I've tried a palm leaf hat, they seem really heavy to me.

Monbla256, You probably pass near where I live (Stephenville) when you are headed down to Kerrville. I do see that Stetson Open Road model a lot around here.

(insert whiny voice) "But I wanted a PANAMA HAT!"

I doubt I could afford to get one personally blocked, but if there were a panama that looked similar to the Stetson Open Road....I would just have to be careful of the up swept brim...I already have wings that stick out. No need to draw more attention to them.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I turn south at Hico and take the scenic route down to Fredriksburg :) As for PB, he has a Cuenca Panama in a style called the Austin which he might be able to get in a smaller brim size. He has 'em priced from $45.00 up to $399.0 ( plus shipping of course) which looks like it would work well down in Stephenville :) It comes pre blocked and finished and would be a nice Panama to wear in a Texas summer !! :)

danofarlington

By the way here in Central Texas felt working hats are reserved for the coldest nastiest time of the year--usually pulling a calf or some other miserable slimy nasty task in the middle of the longest night of the year. Maybe if all I have is a summer working hat I can avoid getting called to help string fence in the ice or digging in the nearly frozen mud to wrap a chain around a stuck tractor. They'll say "He doesn't have the hat for the job." HA!!

That's interesting. I'm originally from Minnesota, and know nothing about customs in Texas. So they would only wear felt hats and Stetson Open Roads in cold winter? I wouldn't have guessed that. I only want to know to put together my own map of "cultural history." I have come to really like Stetson Open Roads, and fancied that they were year-round hats in Texas.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
That's interesting. I'm originally from Minnesota, and know nothing about customs in Texas. So they would only wear felt hats and Stetson Open Roads in cold winter? I wouldn't have guessed that. I only want to know to put together my own map of "cultural history." I have come to really like Stetson Open Roads, and fancied that they were year-round hats in Texas.

Down here, usually by April, most of the felts go on the hat rack by the door and we start wearing straws till around the end of October. ( Not the true Fedora afficionado types that live down here and are members of this Forum, just the average everyday workin' Joe in a pick-up :) ) It's just TOO hot for felts. Today it got up to 90 degrees and will again tommorrow. I wore one of my PB Cuenca's to work today :)

laotou

One of the Regulars
One is never enough.
Sunbody for work and Panama Bob for dress.
The nice thing about Sunbody is wet them and they shape like clay.

Round these parts anytime after Easter is straw hat weather.

wing-nut

New in Town
Monbla256 is right. Stephenville Texas calls itself the cowboy capital of the world. We have 4 (cowboy) hat shops each with their own hat blocking man. You can get any hat you want as long as it is a cowboy hat.

In Central Texas it seems to be an unwritten (but not unspoken) rule that winter is for felts. You never wear a straw before the mesquite trees leaf out. (The true sign that spring has arrived.) Also you never put a cowboy hat on the bed or dinner table. You NEVER put on someone's hat without an invitation first, which is very likely not to happen. And you never wear your straw after the first frost unless it goes back up to 90. At the high school football games the announcer reminds men to remove their hats before the prayer (yes they still do that here) and national anthem. They really don't need to because if someone forgets or feels that they don't have to, a small crowd around them will.

That is the culture I live and work in. Their passion for tradition is a strong part of what's normal. I am not so insensitive to think that I can be accepted in this society without earning my place here. That is why I hesitate wearing a cowboy style hat. I am not a cowboy or rancher or farmer or dairyman and I don't look right in a cowboy hat. My effort to find a hat that I do look good in, but one that will not stand out as odd is my nod of respect for the things that are important here. And it is that kind of attitude that earns the respect of the hard working men and women I am privileged to live and work around.

This is what Lyle Lovet says about his hat.....

Man you better let go
You can't hold on to
What belongs to me
And don't belong to you

I caught you looking
With your roving eye
So mister you don't have to act
So surprised

If it's her you want
I don't care about that
You can have my girl
But don't touch my hat

I grew up lonesome
On the open range
And that cold north wind
Can make a man feel strange

My john b. stetson
Was my only friend
And we've stuck together
Through many a woman

So if it's her you want
I don't care about that
You can have my girl
But don't touch my hat

My mama told me
Son to be polite
Take your hat off
When you walk inside

But the winds of change
They fill the air
And you can't set your hat down
Just anywhere

So if you plead not guilty
I'll be the judge
We don't need no jury
To decide because

I wear a seven
And you're out of order
'cause I can tell from here
You're a seven and a quarter

But if it's her you want
I don't care about that
You can have my girl
But don't touch my hat

No it never complains
And it never cries
And it looks so good
And it fits just right

But if it's her you want
I don't care about that
You can have my girl
But don't touch my hat

wing-nut

New in Town
Lyle Lovett, one of Texas' own. He may not be the most handsome but he sure looks good in a hat. He has an awesome sense of humor that shows in his songs. And he even married Julia Roberts. He gives hope to "average" men everywhere.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Wig-nut,
Seeing as you are a pastor, a straw Open Road would fit right in down there in Stephenville. You have a sot of raised position in comparosin to the other folks in the community. That style of western hat would be quite acceptable to wear and comfortable as well in the Texas heat. (BTW, how many Texas summers have you been through so far ? :) ) Seriously, a Fedora style straw would be looked at with a bit of question whereas, the Straw OR style would fit right in. Get a Panama for when you go up to Dallas for a nice night on the town and wear the OR daily down there :)

wing-nut

New in Town
monbla, Our first night in Texas was in July of 1998. After moving stuff from the truck we turned on the TV and literally the first words we heard we of David Finfrock saying "well today is day 5 of over 100 degrees." If you remember that was the year it went on for about 65 days in a row. It was also the year that the tornado went through downtown Fort Worth. We were living at Southwestern Seminary at the time and were standing out in the parking lot saying "The sky sure is an odd green color." I began to wonder what kind of mistake I had made.

I appreciate your words on the Stetson open road, it is a classic shape and would be easily recognized and accepted. I actually thought that might work if I relaxed the brim just a little more. I agree that a stylin' panama fedora would look as out of place as a tuxedo at a cock fight. I was just thinking that the pliable, cool, tough fabric of a panama blocked like an open road.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot