Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just in time for the Inauguration...

Gamma68

One Too Many
I thrifted this jacket today for a song:

GB_1.JPG

GB_2.JPG

GB_3.JPG

I learned after some online research that Golden Bear gave Bill Clinton one of these leather jackets sometime during his campaign for the Presidency. He liked it so much, Golden Bear produced 200+ of these expressly for the artists performing at his 1993 Inauguration concert.

It has snap buttons, exterior top and side-entry pockets, wool knits, Thinsulate lining. Two interior tags say "Made in the USA." Excellent used condition.

Can the members give me an idea of the level of quality and desirability of this jacket, as well as the type of leather used? I know it's not an "authentic" A-2, but it seems pretty darn nice, particularly for the price of a couple Starbucks lattes. Plus, it fits pretty well. :)

Americanaaa Mark

A-List Customer
damn... wtf

thats a very good find if you got that at a thrift store

golden bear is a great jacket company. I have a steer hide moto jacket coming in February by them.

Pdxgeo

A-List Customer
GB makes nice high quality jackets in US. pretty sure their production is in San Fran but perhaps elsewhere as well. You can contact them and send a pic and they can likely fill you in on details of your jacket. Nice find, especially if it fits.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
That's awesome. Regardless of political orientation, a neat bit of history with possibly the last decade of any meritous mainstream music whatsoever.

Gamma68

One Too Many
I sent an email to Golden Bear with some questions about the jacket. Here's the response I received (in italics):

Thank you for your email.

Unfortunately, the people who would be able to provide you with all this information are either deceased or no longer working here.

I know a bit about the order

· What type of leather was used to make it? The leather was a dk brown naked cowhide.

· How many of these jackets were produced for the Inauguration? To the best of my knowledge, I think we made about 50 – 75 units.

· There are no interior tags indicating who owned the jacket. Is there any way to tell which performer wore this jacket? Unfortunately, no, all the jackets were generically made exactly as yours, no personalization.

· Were any of these jackets made for retail purposes? If so, what was the original retail price? These jackets were only made for this special purpose, no jackets were made for retail. However, if I were to put a retail price on them, I would say they would retail for approximately $795.00 - $895.00 at that time. Now, the jacket would be in the $1,200.00 - $1,300.00 range.

· Anything else of interest you can convey about this jacket? The jacket was made here at our factory in San Francisco. A duplicate jacket was also made for Bill Clinton and Al Gore as well.

I have attached a picture of him in the jacket as well as an article that was written in our local newspaper. I’m afraid that is all I can tell you about the jacket. I hope this information helps.

Bill%20Clinton%20-%20Golden%20Bear%20bomber%20jacket.jpg

Clinton%20News%20Article%201.jpg

Clinton%20News%20Article%202.jpg

The 50-75 units cited in the email is incorrect, as the newspaper article states 200 were made for the Inauguration concert.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
That's a great score and I'm pleased you were able to find some newspaper articles. The insulation would give that extra bit of welcome warmth. Lucky!

Here's Clin-Ton in presumably the same jacket. (click for larger)

Last edited:

Peacoat

Bartender
Gamma68, you did well. Actually more than well as you got an excellent jacket and didn't have to pay much for it. Golden Bear is a well known and respected jacket maker in California, as I think someone above mentioned.

Gamma68

One Too Many
That's a great score and I'm pleased you were able to find some newspaper articles. The insulation would give that extra bit of welcome warmth. Lucky!

Here's Clin-Ton in presumably the same jacket. (click for larger)

Thanks, DoctorD. And yes, it is the same jacket as the one Clinton is wearing in the photo.

Edward

Bartender
That's quite the score. I'd look after it - even if there were 200 of them made, it's a rare birdy. 'Political' memorabilia like that can be worth money in future. Also a nice piece in and of itself.

I've emailed them too lately for some finds of my son. I think it's an Asian family now that owns and runs it. They have some info, but not a lot that goes back in time...but they try to answer which is nice.

Hi Mr. Boettcher,

Based on the label, this jacket is most likely more than 45 - 50 years old or older

Unfortunately, no one here can firmly identify the leather or the date this jacket was manufactured since no one has been here that long ago

I can tell you that we do not, and have not use synthetic leather, so it is most likely deerskin, cowhide or goatskin as these are the leathers that were used the most

I’m sorry that I do not have better information for you

The jacket looks like it is in excellent condition for being such a vintage piece

The style is also a classic

A great item for your vintage collection!

Thank you & best regards

(name, etc removed)

c/o Golden Bear Sportswear/GB Sport

200 Potrero Avenue

San Francisco, CA. 94103

tel (415) 863-6171

fax (415) 863-8704

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Very very nice! Love finding scores like that one, not that I've found one of that magnitude. I would also say, given the priced the GB rep quoted, that this is a treasure you can hold onto if you choose, or sell if you prefer. It's a little baggy on you in sleeves especially, but I would not worry about that! Nice score :)

Gamma68

One Too Many
Yep, I agree it's a bit on the baggy side and the sleeves are slightly long. But based on the photo of Clinton that Doctor Damage posted above, it seems that's the way it's designed to fit (somewhat roomy).

The zipper is also temperamental within the first inch or two. It looks like there was some reinforcement material (tape?) at the bottom that kept the cloth stiff alongside the zipper ends so they can be aligned straight into the zipper pull. But that tape has deteriorated over the years, making it a little tricky to get the zipper teeth lined up properly (and the taught wool waistband makes it tricky to line the zipper up). This was a little embarrassing when I went to meet up with a buddy to show him the jacket--I couldn't get the last inch unzipped! I eventually got it undone, but you have to really consciously line things up just so before pulling up on the zipper. Otherwise the zipper opens at the bottom while remaining closed above the pull.

I suspect the zipper issue may be why someone donated it to the thrift store.

Any fixes out there for this, besides replacing the entire zipper (which I'd rather not undertake)?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats