Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just love RM Williams outback boots!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I live in these baby's guys! They have been up mountain and down dale! (an olde English term!) Look great with a suit, as much as with a pair of jeans, so you can go formal or casual. I think their online website is something like :

www.bootsonline.com

But don't hold me to that (as I'm at work and don't have my favs handy), sorry.

These Australian 'one piece leather) boots have been bashed, trampled on, chunks taken out of the steerhide, sun bleached, drenched...and they just laugh at it all, hold their heads high and motor on, and on and on...

The model I have photographed is THE GARDNER, and is a nice squared and chunky beast (just like me!). Not too many things I'd put my name to, but I would with these!!

Rambo66

New in Town
Thoughts, Experiences on RM Williams Boots?

I just found about RM Williams boots while doing research about Blundstones. I like the styles and soles/heels on the Williams boots better than the Blundstones.

What are they classic models? I'm interested in some casual, comfortable boots.

dr greg

One Too Many
depends on where you want to wear them

If you want them for dress wear that doesn't involve too much walking, the famous Stockman range are regarded as classics, but for general getting about probably better to stick with a Craftsman, there are two things to consider for an American though
1: the soles are leather, and very smooth, so to avoid slipping over on icy streets either roughen them with a big ba***rd file, or have a non-slip sole applied
2:the elastic will loosen after a few years and unless you have a suitably skilled bootmaker in the district, you'll have to send them back to the factory in SA, which would be bloody expensive, but still cheaper than a new pair, and they will last effectively FOREVER, I had a pair stolen that were in good order after 25 years, and they occasionally advertise pairs sent back for a tune that are 50 at least.

theinterchange

One Too Many
Instead of starting a new thread, I thought I'd post my questions here.

I have a few questions for the RM owners here, firstly how do they typically fit? Wide, narrow? I know they for the most part come in G and H widths... I'm typically a size 10D US, that'd mean a 9G would be my ideal size, or no?

Also, how does the "made to order" process work, do I just give them a size and they do the rest or is it more involved?

Oh yeah... do you really have to give them [R.M Williams] your social security number to order direct?! That one's a bit bizarre. [huh]

I like the Stockyard boot, but it's only an H width boot... :eusa_doh:

Any advice would be welcomed!

One more question I forgot. Should I be looking elsewhere or is it better to order direct?

Randy

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I got my comfort craftsman from bootsonline.com. I'm a US 13 and got a 12G, which fits great. The toe box is a little snug, as is commonly said about RMs, but it's not too tight for me. They're the most comfortable shoes I own. Bootsonline lays out the available options, and does cost a bit more than one or two of the other commonly used retailers. However, based on my experience and the many accounts I read on styleforum, they ship much faster. From order to receipt, during the Christmas/New Year season, I had mine in under 3 weeks.

theinterchange

One Too Many
Thanks, Lefty. I'm glad to hear that they're a little snug in the toe box, I hate loose boots [but not overly tight ones, either]. So, it's possible that even an H width could work if I wear thicker socks. hmmm

I was looking over the BootsOnline site just a few minutes ago, thanks to the already posted link. What are the "other" reputable sites?

Randy

MikeBravo

One Too Many
Can't go past the old RM's. I've had mine for over 20 years, as has my brother.

I have the Stockman style. It is the Australian "cowboy boot". Like the American cowboy boot it has a pointed toe to slip into the stirrups, and a pronounced heel to stay in them. They are designed for riding and not really that comfortable for walking around as say the Blundstone range or other RM styles.

I replaced the leather soles with non-slip ones as they tend to be a bit slippery

The Shooman

Practically Family
I have a few questions for the RM owners here, firstly how do they typically fit? Wide, narrow? I know they for the most part come in G and H widths... I'm typically a size 10D US, that'd mean a 9G would be my ideal size, or no?

Also, how does the "made to order" process work, do I just give them a size and they do the rest or is it more involved?

I like the Stockyard boot, but it's only an H width boot... :eusa_doh:

Randy

Randy:

RMW are perhaps the most versatile bootmaking company in the world. Special ordering various widths won't be a problem. RMW can make 1,200,000 different boot combinations, can't beat that.

Talbot

One Too Many
RM's are great boots, and will last a long time. Make sure you treat the leather every now and then, or their life will shorten dramatically.

I went through plenty of pairs when I was young and simple through not looking after them.

HighandDry

A-List Customer
Can you guys compare the fit to the Blundstones?

I have a high arch and the Blundstones fit very tight across the top. If I wear them for more than a couple of hours, they really start to hurt.

WalkingBoy

Familiar Face
Shooman..RM's are the business. But while they maybe the most versatile they're not truly custom made. re. if you want to tweak a few details on a boot style that aren't part of their combo style sheets, then they wont consider it all. At least that's what Michael Williams has repeatedly told me. I sent specs for a ww1 Australian Cavalry boot, and they said no. I said, you're kidding. While I love RMW's to bits, they need to set up a bespoke department. Simple. It's all there. the skills. quality, pedigree, plant etc. but what's not is the will or vision. and thats a shame.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24