Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just Received My New Jacket from Johnsons Leather! (sort of)

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Storm, all kidding aside, both your pictures and jacket are top notch. Thanks for sharing.

JanSolo

Practically Family
Hey! Great jacket and great review with loads of really good pictures. That beast really fits you well. You've shown an incredible amount of steadfastness so you really deserve a perfect jacket.
I've never seen a leather that was that grainy, looks almost unreal! Enjoy your superb present!!

JLStorm

Practically Family
And one more. I was testing out a wireless remote shutter release. Sorry Jan, the cats don't like snow. I tried lol.

5d1062541a59924d9983ac71ca19f619.jpg

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Storm, that dog sure blends into the snow. It snowed in Dallas Christmas day but only 2" to 4" although stranded many travelers at DFW and Dallas Love with numerous cancelled flights. Good looking jacket.

JLStorm

Practically Family
Storm, that dog sure blends into the snow. It snowed in Dallas Christmas day but only 2" to 4" although stranded many travelers at DFW and Dallas Love with numerous cancelled flights. Good looking jacket.

Ya he does. Its really hard to shoot him in the snow. I'm going to play with it a bit though...its too bright I think. If I lower the exposure enough to get him to stand out, everything else is too dark, unless its just him and the background like below:
d6cc484d8cccce2866d04d2a47d2634e.jpg

ForestForTheTrees

One of the Regulars
I thought I had posted a comment after you posted your photos of the jacket, but I guess not.

That is a fantastic looking jacket. I was very curious to see how it turned out as I almost went with the tobacco bison hide as well (although not nearly as thick). Alan had sent me samples of the tobacco and the mocha bison. While the mocha seemed more practical, I thought the tobacco was more unique and a bit more attractive.

By commenting later on, I can add that as great as your jacket turned out I'm afraid that it plays second fiddle to your four-legged friend. Great Pyrenees? A friend of mine had a couple of Great Pyrenees a number of years back. They were massive creatures and perhaps the most timid canines that I had ever met. Beautiful dogs.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I thought I had posted a comment after you posted your photos of the jacket, but I guess not.

That is a fantastic looking jacket. I was very curious to see how it turned out as I almost went with the tobacco bison hide as well (although not nearly as thick). Alan had sent me samples of the tobacco and the mocha bison. While the mocha seemed more practical, I thought the tobacco was more unique and a bit more attractive.

By commenting later on, I can add that as great as your jacket turned out I'm afraid that it plays second fiddle to your four-legged friend. Great Pyrenees? A friend of mine had a couple of Great Pyrenees a number of years back. They were massive creatures and perhaps the most timid canines that I had ever met. Beautiful dogs.

Temperament the Great Pyrenees:
In nature, the Great Pyrenees is confident, gentle (especially with children), and affectionate. While territorial and protective of its flock or family when necessary, its general demeanor is of composure and patience and loyalty. It is a strong willed, independent and reserved breed. It is also attentive, quite fearless and loyal to its duties. The Great Pyrenees' size makes it an imposing guardian. A dog of this breed will patrol its perimeter and may wander away if left off its lead in an unenclosed space. The Great Pyrenees also tends to growl and bark a lot unless trained against such behavior.

My GSD, V Nalco vom Kleinen Mohr ScHH-3, KKL-1, sends belated Christmas greetings.

12-11-10-004.jpg

JLStorm

Practically Family

That is pretty much the same conclusion I came to with the color choice. If I was afraid to beat up a jacket, I might have gone with the brown, as I'd imagine the tobacco will show wear, marks, and any stains more readily. But, I've always thought that leather jackets look better the more worn in and beat up they get.

I'm used to playing second fiddle to my dog lol. He is a Pyr / Akbash mix I rescued at around a 1.5 years old. We were buddies from the start. He goes just about everywhere with me and everyone in town knows him. I'm just the guy holding the leash, he is who they want to see. He is a pretty big boy, but like you said he is very relaxed and laid back. A total teddy bear, especially with anything small like Fanch's quote stated. He loves everyone.

I touched up that photo a bit, so hopefully he isnt as washed out, but the two photos below show his usual state, either on his sofa, or in bed. He is my hiking buddy, but if there isnt anything going on or something that needs to be barked at he is generally napping.

decfb835152c5c6756ac6bc82eba0499.jpg

75635a8b841973ca8bcf5d488dfd4a3d.jpg

JacksonandJoshsleeping_zps9e8dca98.jpg

Cute Christmas photo Fanch. I usually have one of my boy, but I was so busy leading up to Christmas I didnt get a chance to take one this year :(

Lando

Practically Family
There's been a good deal of fine jackets from Johnson Leathers that have come through here.
This one though has actually inspired me to make an order with Johnson leathers.
The leather on that jacket is remarkable looking and I'm sure you will get decades of hard use out of it.
Thanks for posting, or else I wouldn't have known Johnson Leathers had such amazing bison leather.
Just a great jacket.

JLStorm

Practically Family
There's been a good deal of fine jackets from Johnson Leathers that have come through here.
This one though has actually inspired me to make an order with Johnson leathers.
The leather on that jacket is remarkable looking and I'm sure you will get decades of hard use out of it.
Thanks for posting, or else I wouldn't have known Johnson Leathers had such amazing bison leather.
Just a great jacket.

Glad I could help! I don't think they keep a huge selection on hand, but they are willing to find just about anything you want as long as you don't mind paying more and waiting a bit for them to track it down. I've never worked with a company more interested in custom orders. They are a true pleasure to work with and have proven that they are willing to go the extra mile. For my hide, not only did they check around the country to find it for several months, they also sent it out to be skived down to a workable weight. I cannot say enough great things about Alan and JL.

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
When I went in I said to Alan, as many other have, that the website doesn't do him justice and he said that this year they were going to really update it. As I've been talking to him on the phone about a new jacket that I'm about to pull the trigger on, I kid him (on the square) that when he goes big time, it may not be so easy to just call and talk to him any old time I feel like it.

Last edited:

JLStorm

Practically Family
When I went in I said to Alan, as many other have, that the website doesn't do him justice and he said that this year they were going to really update it. As I've been talking to him on the phone about a new jacket that I'm about to pull the trigger on, I kid him (on the square) that when he goes big time, it may not be so easy to just call and talk to him any old time I feel like it.

Ya, their website isnt great which in my case at least made the personal communication more important and allowed us to get to know each other. That in turn let me know when we were on the same page and it made the design decisions much easier. He did ask for some photos of my jacket to put in their gallery so I had a feeling they were planning on building the site up a bit.

I really liked being able to talk one on one as well. They have been around 25 or so years right? I would think that if demand did go up because of word of mouth or a new website, etc. they would raise custom prices to increase profit and keep demand in check. Alan didn't seem like the type of guy that would be thrilled at the prospect of not being able to give personal attention to the one-off customs.

If I travel to frisco again I definitely want to see the shop. I used to be out there several times a year, but not lately. Of course I don't know if I could go there any not order something lol.

ForestForTheTrees

One of the Regulars
I really liked being able to talk one on one as well. They have been around 25 or so years right? I would think that if demand did go up because of word of mouth or a new website, etc. they would raise custom prices to increase profit and keep demand in check. Alan didn't seem like the type of guy that would be thrilled at the prospect of not being able to give personal attention to the one-off customs.

If I travel to frisco again I definitely want to see the shop.

Alan is definitely good at what he does (and obviously so are Craig and the rest of the folks involved there). Alan is such a personable character who works very hard to make his customers happy. I've often wondered the same thing with regards to their website and the demand for their jackets. My next jacket should be done next month and that will be my last. But I'll still be touching base with Alan to order up some of their Forcefield armor at some point in the future. I wish Johnson Leathers nothing but the best of luck and also hope to be able to visit their shop at some point down the road as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy