Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just Received My New Jacket from Johnsons Leather! (sort of)

JLStorm

Practically Family
Well...I'm making myself wait to open it on Christmas.

2012-12-20175102_zps32c586da.jpg

I haven't seen it, but I have a pretty good idea how its turned out. Here are the specs:
  • Based off of an M130 pattern size 44, with a few inches taken in here and there for a closer fit, but still relaxed enough to wear a thick cableknit sweater under.
  • No epaulets
  • Light beige oversized high loft shearling collar
  • 7 oz tobacco bison skived down to around 5oz (Alan searched long and hard for some really gnarly high grain bison that would work)
  • #10 brass main zip
  • 4 pockets (two vertical two horizontal with #5 brass zips)
  • Navy quilted lining
  • Brown knits

Alan and I nailed down the options pretty thoroughly, but its tough to visualize the final product without seeing it, let alone trying it on. I figured it would be pretty easy to wait until Christmas...its getting harder by the second though!

And just to make sure I don't get weak. I've wrapped it and I have my devil eyed buddy guarding it.

2012-12-20181237_zpsfe86f44b.jpg

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
You're made of stronger stuff than I, Storm. I'd employ the strategic deployment of some sausages as a distration, and then 'rip!', Christmas would come early!

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
I don't know why you have to torture yourself (but if it makes you happy there's a "Mr. S" URL on my thread).;) P.S. I made a few decisions and am going to call Alan about my project. Meanwhile, WHAT'S IN THAT BOX??? If you want to drive yourself crazy that's one thing, but to post and leave everyone else in a lurch is .....

Last edited:

JLStorm

Practically Family
I don't know why you have to torture yourself (but if it makes you happy there's a "Mr. S" URL on my thread).;) P.S. I made a few decisions and am going to call Alan about my project. Meanwhile, WHAT'S IN THAT BOX???

I know its torture, but I love Christmas and this makes it even better...5 days....I can do it! (I think). LOL I forgot to check your Mr. S. URL. I saw it earlier , but was on my work laptop and decided it was probably better to wait.

I'll be interested to see what you and Alan come up with.

too much coffee

Practically Family
Well let's see JL.......since it's your jacket, the box has to weigh over 12lbs.
I hope all the buff meat is off the hide, otherwise your buddy just might open it before Christmas!

Looking forward to the pics.
Merry Christmas!

coffee

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
If you like the ritual of Christmas then I get it. I don't care for Christmas myself so I'd rip that sucker open quickerthan you can say "horse is steer". Sorry; cheap shot.

JLStorm

Practically Family
Well let's see JL.......since it's your jacket, the box has to weigh over 12lbs.
I hope all the buff meat is off the hide, otherwise your buddy just might open it before Christmas!

Looking forward to the pics.
Merry Christmas!

coffee

Thanks! Merry Christmas to you and yours as well.
Actually, I thought I would diversify my options and I went a new direction this time :) I went for thickness over weight with this one. The box is only 9 pounds. Although Johnsons packaging is just a no frills normal thickness cardboard box with two pieces of thin foam on each side to avoid damaging the jacket while cutting open, not the bomb proof mass of cardboard packing material and wrap that Aero uses, so its somewhat tough to judge by weight alone

Either way, the 7 oz Bison sample is almost exactly twice as thick as the 6oz cow sample I have. So while it may be flexible and lighter in weight than my other jackets, even at only 5ish oz its going to have some thickness to it. It took a few weeks to convince Johnsons that this is what I wanted and we have an agreement that there are no returns if I dont like it since they dont think they could resell it. I knew when they said it was as thick as they could possibly make a jacket out of and they couldnt resell it that it was a good match for my taste.

If you like the ritual of Christmas then I get it. I don't care for Christmas myself so I'd rip that sucker open quickerthan you can say "horse is steer". Sorry; cheap shot.

LOL. Makes me happy I was never a horse fan...too light. I love Christmas. We do the Christmas Eve / Christmas morning and afternoon with family. When the wife and I are finally alone we give each other our presents over some horribly unhealthy desserts a few drinks and National Lampoons Christmas Vacation. Its tough to say whether its the presents or desserts I like more, but its a lot of fun.

Although my wife did comment earlier "dear...are you really wrapping a box with a jacket in it that you ordered for yourself?"

Peacoat

Bartender
Maybe you could open it to check the fit. That is what I would be concerned about. Then wrap it in Christmas cheer and wait for the time alone with your wife to open the package to finally receive the gift.

When I recommended Johnson Leathers to you, I thought about calling Alan to give him a heads up about your somewhat different concept of leather jackets. But I didn't and just let him find out for himself. I think he has the picture now. Hope it works out for you. PC.

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
I couldn't help myself.

images.jpg

Also, I don't really understand the whole "thickness of the hide" concept. Alan gave me a sample of the leather he used and, when you compare it to the finished jacket, it seems like nothing.

Last edited:

seabass

Call Me a Cab
JLStorm
I saw your jacket in the shop in back & your gonna love it...
I was there a couple of weeks ago & hey you need that for your cold weather so go ahead open it up !

JLStorm

Practically Family
Maybe you could open it to check the fit. That is what I would be concerned about. Then wrap it in Christmas cheer and wait for the time alone with your wife to open the package to finally receive the gift.

When I recommended Johnson Leathers to you, I thought about calling Alan to give him a heads up about your somewhat different concept of leather jackets. But I didn't and just let him find out for himself. I think he has the picture now. Hope it works out for you. PC.

That would be cheating. Besides a few days difference wont matter and there is no surprise at Christmas then. If the fit has to be tweaked (we used an off the rack jacket as a guide) its going to take a few weeks at least anyway.

I couldn't help myself.

images.jpg

Also, I don't really understand the whole "thickness of the hide" concept. Alan gave me a sample of the leather he used and, when you compare it to the finished jacket, it seems like nothing.

After you have played with a few samples of different weights and thicknesses and felt jackets from the same manufacturers in the same style you start to get a feel for it. It is hard to explain, but you definitely know it when you put a jacket on of a thick hide, rather than a thin one. Or heavy vs light.

JLStorm
I saw your jacket in the shop in back & your gonna love it...
I was there a couple of weeks ago & hey you need that for your cold weather so go ahead open it up !

How cool. I wish I had the chance to go there in person. Maybe next time Im working out that way.

jack miranda

A-List Customer
I admire your fortitude. My wait for Christmas, or a little beyond, is one enforced upon me. I have a little 'project', ordered in early September, coming in from the Borders, but, the arrival date is not precise. I'm hoping, hoping, hoping, just before Christmas Day. And, then, I shall not wait a moment!

I admire your fortitude. My wait for Christmas, or a little beyond, is one enforced upon me. I have a little 'project', ordered in early September, coming in from the Borders, but, the arrival date is not precise. I'm hoping, hoping, hoping, just before Christmas Day. And, then, I shall not wait a moment!

Oh goodie..another JA project!! Now I can hardly wait! :eusa_clap

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Open da box! Open da box! Get out the Camera! Get out the Camera!!!! You're getting sleepy.... your eyes are getting heavy... you feel as if you've no will of your own.........

Now... open the box........

The (Long Range Svengali) Worfster

schitzo

Suspended
i haven't decided yet if this is admirable or absolutely intolerable. Am leaning toward the former at the minute. but keep on changing my mind..

Merry Christmas!
Schitz

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
After all this build-up, I expect pix of the wrapping being torn, your face the instant you see the jacket, you outside in the jacket and your p.j.'s etc.

You owe us.

wild_balls

Practically Family
Hey, you could at least scratch a tiny little hole and smell it, it is not to much to ask for giving us the pleasure of what you think of the smell!!!
Ask the dog if he could scratch for you!

Merry christmas from Sweden!

D

Deleted member 16736

Is the M130 his 50's bomber jacket? I've had my eye on that jacket for a long time. I even bought one but had to return it due to a defect in the horsehide. It's a classic style that nobody else does. I like your choice of a shearling collar. I had no idea he had shearling. I would have lined the whole body in shearling. Now that would be a winter jacket! His quilted lining is warm too, and I'm sure you'll love it. Thanks for sharing and please update with pics on Christmas.

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
I I like your choice of a shearling collar. I had no idea he had shearling. I would have lined the whole body in shearling. Now that would be a winter jacket!

I was thinking of a motorcycle jacket with a shearling lining but Alan dissuaded my by saying that it would be just too physically heavy; impractically so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass