Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

K2R spot remover - first test

buler

I'll Lock Up
During my search on the internet about stains/stain removal I ran across many spot removers. I've also been trying to find a source for dry cleaning fluid or perc (perchloroethylene). One spot remover that I found was K2R and depending on which material safety data sheet (msd) you read its supposed to contain perc. Its also listed as containing naptha on another msd. Anyways, this was also a hard to find for sale product, but I found where I could order a case of it. Just received it today and gave it a whirl on a dark spot on a medium brown Knox Twenty. First test is a success! See pics below. I'm going to try it on a light color felt next and will post results.

The stuff is an aerosol spray that you shake up (has a BB inside the can). Then you spray it on and can brush it in with the bristle top on the can. I just sprayed it for this test. Once it dries it turns to a white powder. Brush off the powder and voila, stain gone.

Not sure how long it took to dry because I went out to buy more hats. Came back in around an hour and it was white/dry.

Just for the record I have no connection with whoever makes K2R or anyplace that sells it.

B

k2r_1.jpg

Stain before:

k2r_2.jpg

k2r_3.jpg

Stain after:
k2r_4.jpg

colps

One of the Regulars
Looks like it works, I will wait a couple of days see if you end up with any holes.If not then you can tell us were to get some.:D

Belegnole

One of the Regulars
My Mother used to use that stuff on my fathers suits and ties....now I just have to find some and test it as well.

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
And you'll be pleased to know Cookie, that I just picked up a can from Woolworths! Costs $10.59 a can - and we don't even get the natty little scrubber attachment. Everything is dearer here!

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
It worked well on a stain or two on the felt so I thought I'd try it on a stubborn sweat mark on the ribbon. Mistake. It's left a residue on the ribbon that I'm having difficulty removing. I don't think it's discoloured the ribbon, just the fine powder is caught in the furrows. Water has failed to remove it. I'll try orange oil next and in future will keep it away from the ribbon.

buler

I'll Lock Up
Ephraim Tutt said:
It worked well on a stain or two on the felt so I thought I'd try it on a stubborn sweat mark on the ribbon. Mistake. It's left a residue on the ribbon that I'm having difficulty removing. I don't think it's discoloured the ribbon, just the fine powder is caught in the furrows. Water has failed to remove it. I'll try orange oil next and in future will keep it away from the ribbon.

I got some on the ribbon also. At least for me, it brushed off. [huh] But I wouldn't purposely spray it on the ribbon just in case.

Oh yeah, if you use a lot the smell is very strong!

B

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
It successfully removed a food stain from a favourite silk tie too.

The residue on the ribbon is proving to be very hard to remove for some reason. I'll try again tomorrow when it's properly dried.

And the puff of powder when I first brushed the hat almost choked me....it's quite pungent. Perhaps I should get a mask.

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Yep...it proved to be a bugger to get off the ribbon. The powder is very fine and gets caught in every nook and cranny.

So my verdict is:

1. This is a very useful product for use on stained felt hats (or anything else that's dry cleanable).

2. But use with caution on ribbons.

3. I'd restrict usage to spot stains and would not use it for overall cleaning.

4. Use it outside with a mask - that powder'll choke ya.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Ephraim Tutt said:

Sweat stains, left for a long time, will change the color of a ribbon so that nothing can clean it, at least not so that the entire ribbon will be uniform in color! :(

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
J.T.Marcus said:
Sweat stains, left for a long time, will change the color of a ribbon so that nothing can clean it, at least not so that the entire ribbon will be uniform in color! :(

You're absolutly right JT. Some of what may have started as sweat stains had become discolouration, and no stain remover can fix that. My problem was that the K2r powder had become trapped in the ribbon and difficult to remove. It's almost all gone now, but it took some work - and the discolouration, of course, (now that I know that's what it is) remains.

The stains on the felt, however, were removed by this product with no effort at all.

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Ephraim Tutt said:
////
And the puff of powder when I first brushed the hat almost choked me....it's quite pungent. Perhaps I should get a mask.

Eph my friend, and the rest of you too...I haven't done an exhaustive search but the ingredients are listed in one place as heptane and pentane - not too awful - but a separate MSDS (materials safety data sheet) with Dow as manufacturer lists perchloroethylene and methyl chloroform as the active ingredients. Maybe changes with distribution or over time? Or licensing?

In any case, as a an environmental geologist who has taken many certification courses for work in hazardous environments, I strongly urge you all to use this outdoors only and either hold your breath while spraying and move away periodically, or use a respirator - a chemical one, not a dust mask which won't do you any good. Perc is pretty bad. Even if not perc, you just don't need the exposure!

And thanks Buler, for testing and being the guinea pig!

- Bill

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21