Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

K2R spot remover - first test

Mario

I'll Lock Up
mayserwegener said:
I dunked one a couple a weeks ago and the liner became very stiff but other than that it was ok. A while back I had trouble with a sweatband with minor cracks that leaked dye into the felt.

Darn. I always turn the sweat out before dunking the hat.

buler

I'll Lock Up
bolthead said:
Does this work on straw, or do they have something similar for that? [huh]

I don't know if I'd try it Bolt. Check out this old book, The Practical Dry Cleaner. I haven't looked at it in a long time, but there was a chapter on cleaning straw hats. Worth a look.

DryCleanerBook

B

buler

I'll Lock Up
Mario said:
For some reason I can't read the full book. All I get is some excerpts... [huh]

Go to google. Choose the "More" drop-down and choose "Books". Then type in "Practical Dry Cleaner" and hit search. You should get the "full view" book as the first hit.

B

Mario

I'll Lock Up
buler said:
Go to google. Choose the "More" drop-down and choose "Books". Then type in "Practical Dry Cleaner" and hit search. You should get the "full view" book as the first hit.

B

I did that before. Didn't work. Maybe it's because I always get redirected to the German google site. May have something to do with different copyright laws in different contries... [huh]

chum

Familiar Face
Thanks for this tip Buler! I was wondering what the stain was from on the first post in this thread? I work on photo copiers and wear my felt to work and I am terrified I will get copier toner or grease on my hat!!

buler

I'll Lock Up
chum said:
Thanks for this tip Buler! I was wondering what the stain was from on the first post in this thread? I work on photo copiers and wear my felt to work and I am terrified I will get copier toner or grease on my hat!!

Chum, not sure what it was from. But it wasn't a "inky" liquid stain. It was dry hardened stuff.

B

buler

I'll Lock Up
Just used some K2R on stains this weekend. Worked like a charm. Just a warning to cover up grosgrain ribbons and brim binding before spraying the stuff. The remaining white residue is really tough to remove from the grosgrain. Also, follow the directions. Only spray for 1 to 2 seconds from 6-8 inches away. I know Robert posted a light colored hat that he cleaned with k2r and had great results.

B

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I recall seeing the results from a few fellow loungers that used the k2r spot remover. I used it on a hat, and had zero results from it. The dirt on the hat was just dirt from someone that never washed their hands and handled the hat over time, grime type dirt. So, I just use a hat sponge on those areas, gave up on even using bickmore hat cleaner on the hat (It is a total waste of money and time using that powder cleaner by bickmore on a hat) and found that slowly a sponge did get the "ugly" out of several places on the hat. The k2r actually left circular marks all over the hat, sort of like residue that was harder to get off then the grimy dirt was. Hat sponge, steam...hat sponge, steam....seemed to work better than any product I have used on a hat. Have yet to dunk a hat in stove fuel......

TomS

One Too Many
I recall seeing the results from a few fellow loungers that used the k2r spot remover. I used it on a hat, and had zero results from it. The dirt on the hat was just dirt from someone that never washed their hands and handled the hat over time, grime type dirt. So, I just use a hat sponge on those areas, gave up on even using bickmore hat cleaner on the hat (It is a total waste of money and time using that powder cleaner by bickmore on a hat) and found that slowly a sponge did get the "ugly" out of several places on the hat. The k2r actually left circular marks all over the hat, sort of like residue that was harder to get off then the grimy dirt was. Hat sponge, steam...hat sponge, steam....seemed to work better than any product I have used on a hat. Have yet to dunk a hat in stove fuel......

I just used stove fuel, and had VERY good results...

buler

I'll Lock Up

Not one cleaner is going to be a solution for all stains. But I have had excellent results with the k2r on many stains. I have had it leave marks behind when not following the directions and spraying for more than 1-2 seconds. Then you need to use something absorbent, like talc or fullers earth, to get rid of those. I'd emphasize shaking the product for quite a while and doing only a 1-2 second spray burst from 6-8 inches. Let it dry for quite a while and then vacuum and brush off. If the spot is still there, repeat once or twice more.

This is just another possible solution that can be tried before resorting to a naptha dunk or sending the hat off to a vendor for a more expensive cleaning.

B

buler

I'll Lock Up
Here is an example Robert posted of a Stetson Playboy he cleaned with k2r.

B

Screen%2520shot%25202012-02-08%2520at%25207.18.38%2520PM.png
P1030710.JPG

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Yes I recall how nice the playboy came out for Robert. The one larger stain on the crown was close to what hat I had with a few stains, and it was a darker tan/silverbelly hat I used the k2r spray. I actually spent several days with the spray and what it really did was make the stains more visible and worse over all. I was shocked! SO....I brushed the hat for a few hours, then steamed it like crazy and used my hat sponge on it, and repeated that perhaps 15 times and was able to subdue the spots and stains to some degree. I have also used that sprinkle stain remover from bickmore, it was a total waste of money and time. I found it just merely rolls right off a hat, sort of, does not absorb into the felt, nor pick up anything from a hat, just sort of rolls and makes a mess of itself. I think a clear liquid soap and lightly warm water on a wash cloth would do more than most products considered cleaners for a hat. Now I may try the stove fuel if I have a hat that is super dirt again, but then I would contact anyone that has done that process a few times and ask them directly to guide me along the way so I don't have a end result of disaster.

As to the stove fuel, I know you have to allow the hat to drip and dry, but how long before the hat no longer smells like a truck stop????

randooch

I'll Lock Up
It's surprising how quickly and thoroughly the gas odor dissipates. Fresh air and sunshine speed things up, but a day or two is all mine needed to air out. Then again, if you live in a humid climate, who knows?

buler

I'll Lock Up
So I was searching cleaners on the web again, and came up with a new one. CRC Brakleen (Strongest Formula - 05089) Turns out to be almost 100% perc. Perc is Perchloroethylene, also called Tetrachloroethylene, which is the long standing king of dry cleaning fluids. Warning, this stuff is considered pretty nasty and you should research proper safe useage before trying it out. I don't want anyone getting sick. Because it's nasty, you may not find it locally. It may be replaced by a different formula in your area. Here is a picture of the "Strongest Formula" can.

brakleen.JPG

I'm going to pick some up and test it. But I don't have any current rush to do it. If anyone else has a tough stain to clean you may want to try it and report back. Again, with any spot cleaning, the surrounding area may get cleaner/lighter than the neighboring felt and a "full" cleaning may be necessary. When I get some my plan is to spot clean with this and then follow up with a naptha bath.

B

I've been a believer in K2R since college, (1970s) when it came in paste form, in a tube. For some reason, it doesn't work as well on water-based stains, and best on oil- or grease-based ones. The spray is NOT as effective as the paste was, but has a much, MUCH longer shelf life, which is why (I suspect) the tube is gone.

Definitely a life saver for a young single guy who dribbled.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot