Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Keeping Horween Chromexel leather clean

Lord Flashheart

A-List Customer
Morning All,

I have a pair of Wolverine 1000 mile boots in chromexel leather and im wondering if any of you chaps have any suggestions on how to keep them fairly shiny?

I know the leather is heavily oiled by design but it seems that everytime the boots brush against anything it leaves a temporary scar in the colour and I'm wondering if there is anything on the market that will keep the leather fed but prevent the leather marking so easily?

Many thanks

LF

Todd V

Familiar Face
LF --

Check out Styleforum.com. There are several threads on the Wolverine 1000 mile series. You may also find some good info about Chrome Excel in the Alden thread. Lots of good info there. I don't have any of that leather myself but I'm sure those folks have something to say. They always do!

Todd V

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Hello. I would suggest a application of saddle soap, rinse them really well, apply a good amount of leather conditioner on them, let them sit at least 24 hours after the conditioner and them use an appropriate cream polish in the color that is as close to them as you can find.

Preacher Man

A-List Customer
Hello Lord Flashheart, welcome to the Lounge! I've got a pair of Allan Edmonds Bayfield boots, Horween Chromexel leather. According to the experts at Allan Edmonds, use a leather conditioner like LoveMyHats2 just said, then follow up with a matching wax like the Allen Edmonds carnauba wax. I use this mixture on mine and it really works great. The leather stays soft, looks great, and is well protected from those things that attack a great pair of boots like your Wolverine 1000 Mile boots! Wear them well!

Lord Flashheart

A-List Customer
Thanks for the advice gents.

LMH2 & PM , this might be a daft question but when you say "cream polish" do you mean a regular boot polish such as Kiwi or something a wee bit more refine?

They are cracking boots and they get noticed alot. Never knew so many people take notice of a fellas footwear.

LF

Preacher Man

A-List Customer
Hello LF.
I don't use the "cream polish" on my chromexels. What I use is the carnauba wax. I order it from the Allen Edmonds web site. It is a wax polish, not a cream. It does a fantastic job. Try this wax, you won't be disappointed. How do you like your Wolverine 1000 mile boots? Do they fit you well? I'm thinking of buying a pair for myself if I can get a proper fit. If they are a wide fitting boot, they probably won't work for me, but I do like the boots!!

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
I believe Wolverine has a "1000 mile" leather conditioner kit available. You may want to consider treating the leather soles also.

Lord Flashheart

A-List Customer
PM, the boots are great, pricey (at least here in Oz) but well worth the money. Usually my feet take a bit of a beating with new boots but the 1000 miles give me no problems what so ever. The only thing that bothers me is the fact that, being loaded with oil, the boot mark really easily. All you have to do is give them a rub with a cloth or your finger to re distribute the oil to remedy this but when you are a bit OCD when it comes to the shine on you footwear it becomes a little tedious.

Boyo, thanks for the link. I followed these instructions at the weekend and the boots have come up beautifully.

regards

Flashy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy