Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Keeping our cool in the heat!!

RitaHayworth

One of the Regulars
Down here in Australia, we are cming into some very Summer weather! (I LOATHE summer and the heat)

How do us ladies keep our cool in the heat!!

Drew B

One of the Regulars
I'm going to bump for the sake of it (even though I'm a bloke)

Also, I'll say that summery cocktaily dresses are very pretty. Especially on a pretty lady.

The big question for me is what can a gent wear (aside from a summer suit - lack of funds) to reduce the boil but keep the dapper?

Cheers,
Drew.

Lindabelle

One of the Regulars
It has been nearly 40 degrees today,so I just went and washed my hair and did a pincurl set. I'm now sitting in bed watching old movies as it too hot to sleep. Not looking forward to the long hot summer ahead! I usually use hotsticks for a quick start in the mornings but it is way too hot at the moment. :(

Sincerely-Dee

One of the Regulars
Drew B said:
I'm going to bump for the sake of it (even though I'm a bloke)

Also, I'll say that summery cocktaily dresses are very pretty. Especially on a pretty lady.

The big question for me is what can a gent wear (aside from a summer suit - lack of funds) to reduce the boil but keep the dapper?

Cheers,
Drew.

I think tailored shorts look very nice on men.
Lyle and Scott do some nice polo shirts if you're into them?

Sylvanrealm

New in Town
I know It's still cold in some areas, but I'm starting to see days when the sun is coming out and it has me thinking about the heat already. One thing (that many of us already do) is switching to stockings instead of tights. When I started this a few years ago, I noticed a *huge* difference. I also suggest carrying around a pretty fan, such as those sandalwood scented Asian wood fans with the pretty cut-out designs. They're very inexpensive. I also recommend a parasol if you're forced to be outside a lot. I'll be getting one this summer. These also double as very pretty accessories. :)

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
You mean other than air conditioning? lol

When i'm out and about, I carry a fan with me, almost everywhere in the summer. I use it at shows, waiting in the hot subway tunnels, riding the train... when it's really hot out, that person next to you will love you for it :)

Stick to the ones that are fabric. Paper is too flimsy, and while the sandalwood ones smell wonderful, they are usually all separate pieces, and they click against each other when you fan yourself. That click-click-click-click can get really annoying....to yourself and to others. It drives me bonkers.

DaisieWilde

Familiar Face
Where do you ladies buy your fans? I've only found the cheap plastic ones...I'd love to invest in a better fan :)

I also would adore a lovely parasol. I live in AZ and the sun is just terrible sometimes!

EDITED to add: I was reading the fan thread...I JUST missed the Matsuri Festival down in Phoenix...it was my birthday weekend! Blast it.

My goal for spring...find a lovely parasol and a fan or two before the 105+ degree heat hits!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
DaisieWilde said:
Where do you ladies buy your fans? I've only found the cheap plastic ones...I'd love to invest in a better fan :)

If there's a Chinatown nearby, that's going to be your closest bet.

Ebay has more selection though, and there's a seller on Ebay that sells a lot of really great, reasonably priced fabric fans. There are also lots of great vintage ones on ebay.

Search for "hand fan" or "fan - electric"

DaisieWilde

Familiar Face
KittyT said:
If there's a Chinatown nearby, that's going to be your closest bet.

Ebay has more selection though, and there's a seller on Ebay that sells a lot of really great, reasonably priced fabric fans. There are also lots of great vintage ones on ebay.

Search for "hand fan" or "fan - electric"

Unless there is a Chinatown in Phoenix...it looks like I'll be stuck with ebay!

Jennifer Lynn

One of the Regulars
The aforementioned fans and parasols are a big hit here in Central Florida in the spring and summer months (whenever the temp shoots over 80 with humidity). Folks who pass through Epcot at Disney World can find Chinese fans and parasols at the pavilion's main store, as well as the outdoor carts.

DaisieWilde

Familiar Face
I'm deciding right now whether or not I want to drive up to Vegas and go to Viva, but looking at the website gallery, there are quite a few parasols out and about in the Vegas sun!

I'm inspired...I just wish I knew what color I should order...suggestions? I love the red, but it doesn't seem to go with everything.

Cream might be lovely...

EDITED ON 3/16 I just ordered a white parasol from mybabyjo.com along with a fan. It should be delivered tomorrow. I couldn't find a cream parasol that I was happy with. I don't want a paper one with the wind we get on the mountain. I'm excited though to start carrying my parasol!

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I'm in north Texas and it gets pretty hot here during the summers. We regularly hit over 100 degrees and the hot weather usually lasts May through September.

My favorite hot weather outfit is a simple cotton day dress with flats or wedges (espadrilles are perfect for summer, or even plain Keds) and no stockings. I know I'll be crucified for no stockings, but anyone who wears them outside in 105 degree weather is insane. lol Also, I like a simple cotton skirt with a cute fitted blouse or shirt. Another more casual outfit I really like is a lightweight pair of jeans, rolled/cuffed up to just under the knee, with plain white Keds, and a white or red/white checkered blouse.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR