Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Keyboarding

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
People take the easier way out more often nowadays.

Today in 2007 it is ruder to call and tell something to a person than it is to leave an email -- than it is to post a blog. It's not hard to type. The keyboard lets you spill the emotions onto a blank canvas without eyes. Eyes are the windows and when you look into them sometimes you see things you don't want to face. Plastic doesn't tear up. Glass doesn't turn away.

What do you think?

Gaige

One of the Regulars
I agree. E-mail is easier, faster (for the most part), and ultimately... sterile. Anyone involved with the Internet for any length of time can tell you how being anonymous, behind a glowing screen, can bring forth the worst in a person at times... the simple reality of no-one knowing who you are, where you live, what you do... allows an individual to create any persona they so choose and (fairly often, it seems) become rather negative and detached from reality.

How many times have we seen abhorrently scathing posts on forums, or rude e-mails delivered... and upon reading them can pretty much rest assured that such a thing would never have been said in person?

"Internet Bravado", perhaps is a good moniker for it.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Email's a great way of connecting people over long distance, and when (like me) you are on the other side of the planet from your family and friends it's an easy way to keep in touch by sending pics, quick notes, etc.

However, it's a lazy way out in some ways. I worked with a bloke who used to email me when I was 5 yards down the corridor and that used to really wind me up. In the end I mentioned perhaps he could make the mammoth effort of getting off his backside and poking his head round the door of my office.

Gaige is right about the anonymity of email and even posting on a board such as this. There's a lot of people who behave appallingly all because they think if you can't see the person, it doesn't matter.

Gilbey

One of the Regulars
That's why I don't get a cell phone. I'd rather email and express myself wholeheartedly. Talking just doesn't give me enough time to think what I really wish I'd say. But when I write, I can think clearly without pressure and say things in perspective.

S

Samsa

It's amazing some of the things my ex would say to me via email. Amazing.

(Not amazing in a good way.)

panamag8or

Practically Family
Gilbey said:
That's why I don't get a cell phone. I'd rather email and express myself wholeheartedly. Talking just doesn't give me enough time to think what I really wish I'd say. But when I write, I can think clearly without pressure and say things in perspective.

It helps that you have a good writing style.

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
I like getting hand-written notes and phone calls, as opposed to direct e-mails. However, most of my business correspondence is e-mail.

M8

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Matt Deckard said:

Today in 2007 it is ruder to call and tell something to a person than it is to leave an email
I'm not following, can you expound on this?

S

Samsa

Miss Neecerie said:
Which raises the ....

Why post this here at all....point. Is not this doing the same thing?

Excellent point. You can be the first to post your phone number. And address.:D

I think Matt's point is that email and other electronic means of communication are weaseling their way into certain relationships (professional or otherwise) and replacing verbal communication. Which is a bad thing. I have nothing against email, but I'm sure people have used it as a medium to fire people, break up with a significant other, whatever - instead of sucking it up and having the guts to say it to the other person's face.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Samsa said:
Excellent point. You can be the first to post your phone number. And address.:D

I think Matt's point is that email and other electronic means of communication are weaseling their way into certain relationships (professional or otherwise) and replacing verbal communication. Which is a bad thing. I have nothing against email, but I'm sure people have used it as a medium to fire people, break up with a significant other, whatever - instead of sucking it up and having the guts to say it to the other person's face.

Only if the visitors bring presents....then I shall willingly tell you how to decode the 'Where on earth is Miss Neecerie" puzzle.

Indeed. It's all about context. Some issues are unsolvable, even with an added 'lively internet debate about how people now-adays- suck'

So back in the day.....people wrote dear john letters, and left the firing pink slip on the desk chair .......not -so- different.

Humans are chicken and will -always- take the easy way out...so it's not the technology that is to blame.

be_lovely

One of the Regulars
Isnt that what Radio Shack did to many of their employees?? Just sent out a mass email to fire hundreds of employees??? To me that is weak, and extremely unprofessional and disrespectful.
Samsa said:

Katie Brookes

One of the Regulars
Matt Deckard said:

Today in 2007 it is ruder to call and tell something to a person than it is to leave an email -- than it is to post a blog. It's not hard to type. The keyboard lets you spill the emotions onto a blank canvas without eyes. Eyes are the windows and when you look into them sometimes you see things you don't want to face. Plastic doesn't tear up. Glass doesn't turn away.

What do you think?

am i having deja vu or have you, as of late, been mistaking the Observation Bar for your personal blog.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou