Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

King Kong:reviews

silhouette53

One of the Regulars
Credit where due

Side-stepping the debate as to whether or not the period costumes were accurate, ( I'm not a hat wearer and have no knowledge whatsoever in that field though I imagine that hat ribbon width is a major issue there:rolleyes: ) I thought the accuracy of the apes physical behaviour / mannerisms were excellent. Andy Serkis did an amazing job and studied Gorilla behaviour intensely in preparation for his work on the film. You'll remember he did a similar job with the character 'Gollum' in the LOTR trilogy
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/topnews.php?id=12280

penfencer

Familiar Face
I almost bought the dvd sight-unseen. This thread changed my mind. I'll wait to see it on cable.

It sounds like the overuse of CGI ruined the pacing. This is happening all too much lately in film these days.

I would like to see the "making of" documentary.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lord of the Rings? Now there was a piece of tedious crap I turned off after about 45 minutes. And there's 3 of those dung ridden flicks? :eusa_doh:

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
success

Its really amazing that so many of us have complaints about KK, but its made a billion$$$ worldwide & the dvd has already picked up $100million.
With numbers like that, he could make tons of miserable sequels.

But I do hope he does embark on a version of 'The Hobbitt'.

Twitch

Just curious, but does anyone sincerely think the quality of acting in the original KK was so stunning? I never thought there were any award-winning performances there but that didn't matter in the scheme of the movie anyway. It was considered a campy special effects flick in 1933 not a dramatic interlude of method acting.[huh]

Feraud

Bartender
I do not think the acting in the original Kong is stunning. I love that film because it is a classic "monster" movie from my youth.

My feeling is the new Kong wasn't all that great. It was too long and the Skull Island portion of the film was very boring. The only part of the film I did appreciate was the end sequence on the Empire State Bldg.

I wonder if Jackson is stuck in "epic" mode? People have said he blows away Lucas in terms of creativity but is Jackson that different? After his epic LOTR trilogy, can he make a "normal" film? Will it always have to be a big budget blockbuster epic?

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Jackson is moving out of "epic mode." His next film is to be based on Alison Seabold's novel Lovely Bones. A return to Heavenly Creatures mode perhaps.

Twitch

Feraud- exactly the 1933 KK was akin to Frankenstein, The Wolfman, The Mummy= monster movies of my youth in the 1950s. It never was supposed to compete with Gloria Swanson in Sunset Boulevard.

stylin

Familiar Face
Very good movie! Not great but very good. I work at Blockbuster Video in CT and we've seen more of these copies rented than you can shake a stick at!

I've never heard from any of our Members that they didn;'t like the newest King Kong movie. But please don't make a sequel which I've heard is in the works....

:eusa_doh:

Doh!

One Too Many
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Son of Kong the first sequel to a movie (serials don't count)?

And one of the crappiest, too (that wasn't a question).

anselmo1

One of the Regulars
The latest version of "King Kong" was utterly atrocious. Way to much "special effects" that detract from Kong's image in the film. Naomi Watts was no Fay Ray. When will Hollywood actors today learn to act!

Hate to say it but Jessica Lang did a lot better job in the 1976 version and she was horrid. Maybe I am being to critical but I am thoroughly disgusted with the writers and actors/actresses in Hollywood today. The creative juices no longer flow especially with film writers.

How can any of the current crop of Hollywood writers be in the same league as Raymond Chandler, F. Scott Fitzgerald and John Steinbeck! I wonder how many writers in Hollywood have even written one book?

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
KONG DUD

anselmo1,

I'm sure your were moved by the performance of that GREAT thespian Jack Black??? lol

How did you like the final scene with Kong lying dead on the ground with all the guy wearing identical fedoras of different colors??? lol

SC :eusa_doh:

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
anselmo1 said:

How can any of the current crop of Hollywood writers be in the same league as Raymond Chandler, F. Scott Fitzgerald and John Steinbeck!

I wonder the same thing myself. And also I would like to know what is it with all the remakes of old movies and old TV shows? Why do they have to do that? Have they run out of ideas these people?
I have to agree with you anselmo1: The creative juices no longer flow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot