Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Knit replacement in germany

xmr

One of the Regulars
Hi,

Two weeks ago I received my Aerial Star A2, I love it. The cut and the leather is amazing, and Chris was great to deal with. The only thing I do not like are the knits. After a week of wearing I counted at least 3 holes at the bottom knit (right where it has been sewn on) and they tend to pill already. I liked my Aero knits way better.

In case these break down - does Aero sell knits and does someone from germany know where I can get them replaced? Or is this easy and every seamstress can do such things?

Otter

One Too Many
Hi XMR,

As I understand it, it's not a hugely difficult job. If I am remembering correctly then there is a stage by stage photo essay on how to do it over on the Vintage Leather Jacket forum (VLJ). You just need to find a good seamstress with a heavy commercial machine. I am sure if you ask them Aero will sell you a set, and I think Mash Japan do some.

tnjyoung

A-List Customer
Hi,

Two weeks ago I received my Aerial Star A2, I love it. The cut and the leather is amazing, and Chris was great to deal with. The only thing I do not like are the knits. After a week of wearing I counted at least 3 holes at the bottom knit (right where it has been sewn on) and they tend to pill already. I liked my Aero knits way better.

In case these break down - does Aero sell knits and does someone from germany know where I can get them replaced? Or is this easy and every seamstress can do such things?

Are you close to Munich? If so, try Gasoline Alley in Munich. They carry Aero and they do custom orders. They may have the connection you need to get your knits replaced.

xmr

One of the Regulars
I'm near Düsseldorf but I wouldn't mind sending it away (as long as it's not around the world...). Maybe I'll just contact Holly to sell me a set, these knits were great imho. maybe not as accurate but amazing quality.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Yes, Aero do sell them. I have a set of dark brown browns sitting in the house at the moment.
Aero knits do seem damn robust. My Aero A-2 from the 80s still has its original ones, and they've retained their shape and there's no pilling.

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Well, they were willing to work on the vintage A-2 I bought the knits for, so I guess the answer is 'yes, they do'. I'd email Holly.

Kater Karlo

One of the Regulars
I can warmly recommend "Lederarbeiten-Ullrich" in Düsseldorf. Got my Lost Worlds Suburban shortened and tightened there and they did a great job.

Pat Spade

Familiar Face
Hi xmr,
I`ve had the knits on a vintage A2 replaced by a "Änderungsschneiderei" (Seamstress) in my neighborhood and the Lady did a good job. She even supplied the knits, don`t know where she bought them, but there seems to be kind of a wholesale for taylors here in Germany, where you can buy such...on the other hand, they didnt last very long, so it might be wise to order some from Aero...and Kater Karlo`s recomendation sound good, too
BTW, kind regards to both of you from Ratingen. It`s nice to learn that there are likeminded souls just around the corner....;)

walterwhyte

New in Town
Hi,

Surely at 2 weeks old Aerial Star should be dealing with the problem fixing the knits for you ? i wouldn't expect to have to be covering any costs of repairing such a new jacket

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda