Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

(KNIVES) Let's see some sharp pointy objects

Renault

One Too Many
Sorry for delay. Been on road all day. Blitzkrieg trip to Kansas to get grandson for visit. Head back in morning! Lemme know how it works out! Grapefruit that is. Usually the best for such things!

MikePotts

Practically Family
OK, no appreciable darkening so far....

P1010554_zps44102fe1.jpg

please advise :confused:

Horace Debussy Jones

A-List Customer
This thread has inspired me to procure a few nice high end knives, a high quality knife (or two, or three,...etc.) is a great tool to have for sure.
I've got my eye on both a Mora Bushcraft, in stainless if I can find one that is NOT done up in those horrid, tacky foofoo designer colors that are so popular these days, :mmph: and also a nice Finnish Iisakki traditional hunting knife or two. I'll post pics if and when I find the exact models I want. I saw Jeep's earlier post in this thread, with his splendid and inspirational collection of Scandinavian knives. Awesome collection. :eusa_clap
Also I have always liked the idea of the classic "Rambo" style survival knife. If done right, I think it would be the ultimate knife to own. So far however, all I'm seeing on ebay is cheap, 30 dollar knock offs from China. Certain to be junk, as the old adage of "you get what you pay for" is true.
Does anyone know where to get a high quality Rambo style knife?

Renault

One Too Many
Sure like my Isakki knife! One of the leather washer handle hunters. Pic later. Gotta go see dentist this morning! Look here for your Rambo type knife.

http://www.knifesupply.com/index.html

It's where I got my Isakki.

Mike you sure that knife isn't 440C or something???? Make take it a day or two to patina out. One of my newer carbon steel butcher types is getting a nice finish on ot from cutting and cooking steaks, onions, etc out in camp!

Last edited:

Horace Debussy Jones

A-List Customer
Thanks for the links gentlemen.
Your avatar Renault is a cute little rascal by the way. My mom adopted 4 of them back in the 80s, 2 boys and 2 girls, and raised them as her own. :D
They're fun when they're little, sort of like a cross between a kitten, a puppy, and a monkey or something. At about a year old, they get pretty wild though, but one of the females actually came back for a visit after 2 years, much to mom's delight.

MikePotts

Practically Family
Mike you sure that knife isn't 440C or something???? Make take it a day or two to patina out. One of my newer carbon steel butcher types is getting a nice finish on ot from cutting and cooking steaks, onions, etc out in camp!

That was kinda tongue in cheek Bob, I haven't even cut the Grapefruit yet....or taken the knife from it's sheath. It's definitely marked A2, I'll start processing it on Saturday - nice little week-end project!

Renault

One Too Many
Thanks for the links gentlemen.
Your avatar Renault is a cute little rascal by the way. My mom adopted 4 of them back in the 80s, 2 boys and 2 girls, and raised them as her own. :D
They're fun when they're little, sort of like a cross between a kitten, a puppy, and a monkey or something. At about a year old, they get pretty wild though, but one of the females actually came back for a visit after 2 years, much to mom's delight.

Caught him in my pig trap about a month ago. Like I told Mike, I have a soft spot in my heart for those masked little devils! He was turned loose

Mr. Godfrey

Practically Family
Yeah.....Lady P. did too....right up 'til they started digging up her patio flowers in the dead of night, now....not so much.....
snipersmilie_zpsbe526958.gif

Also.....can A2 tool steel be patina'd, rusted....colour adjusted in some way pretty quick?

try using it with sweet chestnut wood, the tanning will colour the blade, carving a few spoons, bash a pegs, etc, soon give the blade a story.

MikePotts

Practically Family
Many thanks Godfrey old chap, I trust your sisters are well. Sweet chestnut in Texas eh?....well...I'll look! - The blessed thing has a plated (nickel?) guard too. That will have to go.

Mr. Godfrey

Practically Family
Many thanks Godfrey old chap, I trust your sisters are well. Sweet chestnut in Texas eh?....well...I'll look! - The blessed thing has a plated (nickel?) guard too. That will have to go.

If you can find a wood with a high tannin content or similar plant that has a high tannin to darken the blade and your fingers,sorry I cannot help with a tree name for your state.

My sisters are fine thank you young man and the upside cakes are just dandy :)

You must post a pic when done

Last edited:

Mr. Godfrey

Practically Family
Here are some of my favorite blades and such. Two of these knives I actually purchased. And I bet they were in the $9-$10 range. They others are all gifts, inherited or found.
U

Big butcher blade second from bottom was my grand dad's old hog and cattle butchering knife. I found it on the old farm, out in the barn, right before they sold the place. About 62-63 ish. No handles. I put handles on maybe 25 years ago. This may have been the blade used in the butchering, in the now famous ( in our family) "Aunt Jane kills the Holstein milk cow before school " episode in our ongoing chronicles of farm life back then!

The hatchet on the right, is my butchering hatchet. Many deer and hogs processed with that tool. Think that head cost me $3.50 and the steel is phenomenal!

Just typical blades from back in the day.

I trust that hatchet and axe came with a woolrich buffalo check shirt and Montana crease campaign hat!

KR
Ian

Landman

One Too Many
Mike, I'm sure Renault's suggestion of cutting a grapefruit will do a good job of putting a patina on your knife. I had a brand new carbon steel Case pocket knife a few years ago that I used to cut up a couple of limes and it instantaneously turned the blade an almost black color.

Horace Debussy Jones

A-List Customer
i just snagged this vintage Solingen http://www.ebay.com/itm/251581034648?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649 for a mere pittance, (after applying my ebay bucks thing). Looks to be 1960's or perhaps 1950's vintage? in any case, I love the antler handle and the hand guard/pommel treatment. The German steel looks to be in fine condition too for it's age. :D Not exactly what I had been looking for recently, but for the price i couldn't pass it up.

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
I have this reproduction pocket knife. However, when I put it in my pocket, it always slides out. Pretty useless, except for looking at. Are you supposed to put them in your jacket's pocket? I also have a modern pocket knife, but it is pretty ugly, thus, no pictures of it.
3k1XX41.jpg
iAUVdxn.jpg

Renault

One Too Many
Sounds like you need deeper pockets. Sometime with bigger folders I stick em in my back pocket. Or you can get/fabricate a belt pouch or scabbard with snap closure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland