Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Know who this actress is?

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
I found this autographed photo in a thrift store a while back. She appears to be a 1940s movie actress by the name of Lucy Monroe judging from hair style, make-up and a glamour-style photo appearance.

Wearing a military-style oufit and signed 'Patriotically Yours,' I'm guessing it was taken during WWII. On her cap all I can read is 'Na?? Veterans of the.....'

A search on the Internet comes up zero. I've not become totally obsessed with her yet, but this beautiful mystery woman is driving me wild!

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Not necessarily so

I doubt it that she was in the movies. I bet it is more likely she was a USO girl or the like. There were wonderful women that went to the "comfort" halls and the like to entertain and socialize with the servicemen on leave or getting ready to go.

Her signing it "Patriotically yours..." is in keeping with the concept of encouragement to the young men heading off to war.

But she is beautiful, and a 1940's "hottie".

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Hope you're not disappointed in me if I tell you that my outfit is nothing special...The hat's an old Towncraft. The sport jacket is new, a cashmere one that I purchased in Germany. The tie is one of a bundle of vintages that I bought at an estate sale...the original owner's favorite color was apparently green as the whole lot were of that color. Thanks for asking.

Velma Kelly

Familiar Face
Dear Quigley,

you made me curious with this picture and I've done a little research on the web, trying to help you a little with finding out who this mysterious "Lucy Monroe" is.

After hundres of sites about the author Lucy Monroe, who obviously doesn't have anything to do with the girl on the picture, I finally found a piece of information about a CD called "America the Beautiful - Great Voices in Patriotic Song" with a song ("America") by a singer called Lucy Monroe from 1942. Couldn't it be her?

Here's the link to the first site I've found:
http://www.classicalcdreview.com/atb.htm

And here's a link to another review of this CD:
http://www.musicweb.uk.net/classrev/2002/Aug02/America_theBeautiful.htm

They write: "[...] and Lucy Monroe sings America very slowly and caressingly."

And here's the solution of the little mystery of Lucy Monroe that I found just in this second:

"Lucy Monroe was an entertainer in the early 40's, and during the war she would lead inspirational community sings in factories and schools. The last reference to her that I could find was singing the National Anthem at the last game in Ebbets Field in 1960. This vintage and extremely rare songbook contains 95 traditional and pop songs in standard notation."

Here is the website:
http://www.redskybooks.net/cgi-bin/rsb455/002516.htm

(And may I say that I would love to purchase this rare songbook if I only had the money?)

I am sure one can find even a bit more about Lucy Monroe if searching all the hidden corners of the internet, but I hope to have helped you so far.

All my love,
Velma

Christie

New in Town
Lucy Monroe

Hi, I cannot see the picture of the woman but my mother was a singer in the 1940's and her name was Lucy Monroe. I wonder if it could be her. Christie

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails