Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

KNOX hats updates

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
After having found that Knox hats were being made in Japan under license, and have been possibly since the 70`s, I did a bit of research to see if they were still being made in the States. I got the following reply from Arnold Hatters in NY:

We're sorry to say that the original Knox Hats Co. stopped manufacturing
back in the 1980's. The label was purchased by RHE Hatco, Inc. in Garland,
TX. who promptly discontinued the Knox label so that it wouldn't compete
with their two more marketable brands, Stetson and Dobbs. Hatco recently
began offering the Knox label to any store that's interested but we don't
know of any specific store that's taken advantage of the opportunity with
the exception of Levine Hats in St. Louis, MO.

Anyone can recommend or rate these hats?

BTW, could someone drop me a note on how to search on this site. I still cannot find the search button-tx

Spellflower

Practically Family
Arnold Hatters are terrific people. Really, really nice. I went there and tried on just about every brown hat they had in my size, and they were extremely patient with me. Nice old-fashioned customer service is always nice to find; now if only Hatco would make some nice old-fashioned hats for them to sell, they'd really have something! :p

Sorry I can't help you with your Knox question, but I'd expect that the quality would be pretty much identical to what you'd get with a modern Stetson. After all, it sounds like they're just putting the Knox label on the same hats, no?

As for searching, scroll to the top of the page. See the man in the circle? Now look down about an inch and you'll see a gray bar with the letters FAQ. Scan right a few inches, past "members list" and "calendar" and you'll come to "search". Click it and a box will appear. I recommend the advanced search, however, and if you use it to search for "google" you'll find instructions on how to use google to search the fl, which is much more effective. ;)

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
The Knox hats of today are in fact specialy made hats for Levine Hats in St Louis .They are made by Hatco as are Stetson and Dobbs. I've seen them and they arent any different than your average Stetson hat. in fact , the factory outlet in Garland had loads of them the last time I was there.
I would love to know who makes the Knox Hats for Japan. I spoke to the production manger of Hatco who had no idea who made these hats . It seems that even the Stetson name is used by a few companies besides Hatco. In Europe, the name is licensed to Fw Schnider who is in Germany.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
I have a Knox, Dr. Knox which I got at the outlet store about a year ago. It has a very nice "suede finish" (It is fur felt.), and a unique bow treatment. It also has the best sweatband I have seen in any modern hat. I did find three minor flaws (the most of any hat I've purchased at the outlet). I'm still glad I bought it. It was worth the outlet price, and if perfect might have been worth Levine's price. It is supposed to be the same hat as the Stetson Dexter, but the ribbon and sweatband are totally different. This one is a dark grey (not black).

P1040093.jpg

P1040089.jpg

P1040090.jpg

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Made in Japan

Actually Knox is made by the following company

http://www.fujico-jp.com/english/product/index.htm

You`ll be surprised how diversified their product range is (outside of hats)...that`s how the Japanese originally created new products through original thinking, technology, and meeting markets needs. I can say the hats are the typical product of a Japanese company (think *lexus*)...created to perfection. Have not got one, but may get one soon and post a pic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland