Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

L. Sprague De Camp??

Naphtali

Practically Family
Many years ago I owned a science fiction book whose dust jacket art was amusing. Not only do I no longer have the book, I cannot remember sufficient detail to find another copy, more for its dust jacket than its text.

1. I think the author was L. Sprague De Camp.

2. The hard cover book pertained to time travel and how actions that changed the extreme distant past may or may not affect changes in the returned-to future by the time traveler.

3. Dust jacket art was a cartoon of a "great white hunter" in caricatured safari garb, holding a huge double-barreled long gun. The hunter was posed, I believe, standing with one foot atop a trophy triceratops (yup, a dinosaur).

4. I cannot remember whether book was composed of one story thread, or each chapter was capable of standing alone.

I would appreciate details of the book's identity. I would be ecstatic if someone who has the book could scan the front cover of its dust jacket at higher than standard resolution and color bit depth and furnish the graphic to me.

djd

Practically Family
There was a collection of short stories called A Gun for a Dinosaur - with a short story of that name. I've not seen the cover you describe but it fits the bill :)

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Napthali, the story you're talking about is "A Gun for Dinosaur," written by Mr. De Camp in the Fifties, and reprinted plenty of times since then. The Wikipedia article says there was a De Camp collection called "A Gun for Dinosaur" in 1963, and that he wrote more stories about the short story's time-traveling safari guide, Rivers.

This will give you titles without giving away the plot, if you want to reread it: http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cgi?45891

I met Mr. De Camp and his wife Catherine at an SF convention in 1987 or '88. Charming people.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn