Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

'La Vien En Rose' Edith Piaf film

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
I felt a bit cheated when i saw this at the Cinema, I hoped it would show Edith and her relationships with the Nazis, during the occupation of Paris, it was all a bit vague...... and jumped back and forwards, i guess i'm rather old fashioned I like a begining, middle and end. all tied up together nicely, I don't realy feel the need to go to a cafe with friends afterwards and ask chums "What if?"

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Even her Best Friend Got Tired of her and Left

ShortClara said:
I hated this film. HATED it. Amazing performance of Edith Piaf, but I thought the film making lacking. I don't think beating me on the head for 2+ hours is good film making. **SPOILERS**

By the end, I was glad she died, because that meant it was over! Now I love a good serious film - I do. But I didn't think it was an emotional roller-coaster at all - I thought it was like going to the dentist. They never let the audience up for air, to have a bit of happiness, a brief sadistic laugh, nothing. Even when she was in love, I knew it would end badly - KNEW it, so I couldn't even enjoy it! I didn't care about her at the end, I was so strung out, and that made me sad. When I think on something like "Saving Private Ryan" which made me cry and cry in the theatre... but I loved it all the same. But that film was a rollercoaster, instead of people hitting me on the head with a steel pipe for a long time and just die already Edith and let me out!! *sorry* - ahem. I would not wish this film on anyone but Guantanamo detainees suspected of terrorism.

No offense to anyone who liked it - really. I just think there are more deft ways of handling grim subject matter.

I mostly agree, although I never wished her to die. While I thought the acting, casting, sets, music, costumes and makeup were all outstanding, it was a depressing movie. Ms. Piaf must have known one happy day in her life--couldn't they have shown it? Even the scenes where she is having fun are sad: as a little girl, she forms an attachment to a woman she can't remain with; when she's grown, she takes up with a married man (does that ever go well?) and much of the time, she's drunk, obnoxious, or both. Enabling friends hop when she hollers.

It will be awhile before I want to listen to her music again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters