Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ladies Scarves

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Foofoogal said:
I love scarves and have a ton. Since I am a vendor I cannot show some I have for sale but I have a 1964 Worlds Fair one that is great.
I cannot believe Bella that you could get so many for free. Wow.
After you look at enough of them you really start seeing the quality of the silk and material in general.
Paoli, Vera, alot of designers over the years made them. Like little works of art and so easy for storage. I cannot find a scarve/scarf collector club which surprises me really.
Maybe we can start a FL scarf club. I vote Bella for President. lol since she is ahead of alot of us.
and Lolita for Vice President since she started this thread. In Honor of her Grandmother.

Hahah thanks! Yeah, since I got so many it's easy to tell which is the higher quality silk and which is rougher silk, or acetate or whatever. I am unsure how to store them, I was thinking that tacking some elastic ribbon to the walls would work, then just sticking the scarf under the elastic so it presses against the wall. Easy to see, easy to store!

Also um.......all my pics are gone! Oh well.

The Shirt

Practically Family
Bringing this back - Does anyone know how to tie them around your head to get the girl in convertible look? :) Car show this weekend and normally the corvette leaves me with giant knots in my hair. After all the trouble I plan on going thru to get may hair to look right, I thought I'd go for it and do the scarf look but not quite sure how its done. Any photos would be helpful too.

The Shirt

Practically Family
I found the best shoes to match the car. He has a black 59 corvette with silver coves and red interior. Shoes have peeptoes and perfect little red and white hearts. Thanks for the reminder about the gloves! I shall pull mine out and go way over the top. He better appreciate all my effort!

Ms. McGraw

One of the Regulars
I always wear a scarf tied around my head like that (with fun vintage bejeweled sunglasses, of course!) in the boyfriend's A! With the windows down it's the only way I can get to where we're going without my hair turning into a rat's nest. The look works for me, but he makes fun of me all the time and tells me I look like a little old lady! :( Sometimes, boys just don't get it.

olive bleu

One Too Many
I have recently started walking to work when the weather is fine,and because it is so windy and i don't want to arrive with my hair a mess, i wear a scarf, but I have an issue with hair static. Any tips on how to avoid this? or on how to smooth down the static once I get there??

Idledame

Practically Family
Growing up in the 50's, I don't recall my mother having any hats, but she often wore scarves folded into a triangle, and tied under her chin if it was at all windy or rainy. Later little plastic pleated rain hats that folded up into a plastic case replaced, or were worn over the scarves in the rain. She usually had one tucked into her purse for emergencies.

Teenage girls wore their scarves in the triangle too, but tied at the back of the neck under their hair, or rolled and tied around their pony tails. Smaller scarves were rolled up and tied around the neck, with the free ends on the side of your neck. I especially liked this style because it reminded me of the scarves that Roy Rogers and Dale Evans wore. Small scarves also were tied on pony tails. Scarves as wind protection were worn up to the late 60's, when girls stopped ratting their hair and spraying them with a ton of hairspray to hold the style. Wind and rain would demolish those do's.

I too have a huge bag of scarves.I wore them in the 60's as head bands and belts and tied onto my wrists and purses. We liked having lots of dangly flowing bits.

My aunt hand rolled hems on pieces of silk, and then sewed beads and bangles onto the hems and wore them around her neck. I tried doing a hem on a silk dress that way and found it really hard to do. I ended up using a special foot to roll it with a zig zag stitch. Looked much better than the bit I tried to do by hand.

Idledame

Practically Family
Here's some of my collection. I have always saved scarves and belts from old dresses that were thrown out. 'Cause, you know, I might be able to use them someday! Actually, besides getting used in the 60's they came in handy for my kids when they were pirates, cowboys, fairies, etc.
IMG_2463.jpg

This one is silk, hand sewn hem and says A Cohama scarf inspired by the broadway musical hit " South Pacific" starring Mary Martin Too bad the colors are kinda yucky.
IMG_2466.jpg

My favorite, both because of the pattern and because IT WAS MADE IN ENGLAND! That was sooo cool in the 60's and 70's.
IMG_2465.jpg

JupitersDarling

One of the Regulars
After playing with my grandma and mother's scarves since more than 2 decades ago (they do indeed make excellent costumes!), I'm the keeper of the scarves now. :) Maybe I should try and get a few pics of my faves...

Ideldame, that Liberty scarf is indeed awesome!

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
scarf looks for the 40s woman

I'm putting this clothing accessory thread under the General Attire category, hope that's the right place. I welcome all male input on this as well as from the FL gals.

I've picked up some vintage scarves, and would like to utilize them for my 1940s look as they would have been worn back in the early 40s and during WWII. I'm NOT talking 'Rosie the Riveter' style on one's head, but incorporating a scarf as a fashion accessory as part of my ensembles.

I've got rectangle and square scarves. Proper usage of a rectangle scarf utilized in an outfit for the period would be of particular interest.

Historical photos or book page scans of the real deal would be especially helpful here. Links are great too, but pertaining to the 40s is best.

Vanessa

One Too Many
Rita wore them:

hanky.jpg

As an evening accessory.

skirtstripes.jpg

As a belt.

mexico.jpg

Tied around a hat.

sundrenched.jpg

To keep the sun off her neck.

ritawaly1952.jpg

Casually tied for lunch.

macollins

New in Town
Women in the '40s would tie rectangular scarves around their hats that had brims. You would tie what they called "streamers" where a plain band would be on a men's fedora.

Also, if you have long hair, there is a very cute hairstyle that utilizes a rectangular, long scarf or folded large square scarf.

1. You make a full length center part and divide your hair into two strands at each side behind the ears.
2. Lay or fold a scarf (depends on which one you are using) headband style across the front of your head.
3. Braid scarf ends with strands of hair.
4. Bring braids together at the nape of the neck and tie in a bow.

I've found that the headband part of the scarf doesn't like to stay in place so I pin it. This style is very good for a hot day!

crwritt

One Too Many
My Mom would intertwine a string of round beads (such as pearls) with a silk scarf that matched her outfit, and wear it as a necklace. She always got nice compliments when she did this.

Grant Fan

Practically Family
Vanessa said:
Rita wore them:

hanky.jpg

As an evening accessory.

skirtstripes.jpg

As a belt.

mexico.jpg

Tied around a hat.

sundrenched.jpg

To keep the sun off her neck.

ritawaly1952.jpg

Casually tied for lunch.
Oh Rita was fabulous I want to try to look like her.

crwritt

One Too Many
Vanessa said:

Those outfits made of scarfs do not appear very substantial. One false move, and you've lost it.
I remember seeing very similar suggestions on scarf wearing back in the late 60's in a teen fashion magazine. I tried getting some of them to work, but y'know, my folks would not let me leave the house dressed like that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24