Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ladies suits

TessTrueheart

Vintage Betty said:
Any special requests?

I want to see whatever anyone wants to show:)

Seriously, this thread is very educational for me. Vintage clothing, and especially 40's clothing is so terribly hard to find in this part of the world (Sweden), and I don't think I've ever seen a 40's suit "live". Only in films and photos from the time. I also find that suits is something that my wardrobe is lacking in, and I am considering having one or two made for me. This thread is giving me lots of ideas!

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
TessTrueheart said:
I want to see whatever anyone wants to show:)

Me too! It's all eye candy!

TessTrueheart said:
Seriously, this thread is very educational for me. Vintage clothing, and especially 40's clothing is so terribly hard to find in this part of the world (Sweden), and I don't think I've ever seen a 40's suit "live". Only in films and photos from the time. I also find that suits is something that my wardrobe is lacking in, and I am considering having one or to made for me. This thread is giving me lots of ideas!

There are some very interesting points to be made in favor/against vintage vs reproduction suits.

I'll try to write up something sometime, but first, I'd be interested to see if anyone has any opinions on the subject.

I'll give one tip: Before I wear any vintage suit, I always re-sew the buttons onto the jacket. I've lost too many buttons by believing that the thread is still solid.

Vintage Betty

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Vintage Betty said:
cape_suit1.JPG

How have I missed this thread? You always post beautiful things VB but this string of suits is amazing. I adore this caped one. Thanks for sharing your treasures.

Vintage Betty

imoldfashioned said:
How have I missed this thread? You always post beautiful things VB but this string of suits is amazing. I adore this caped one. Thanks for sharing your treasures.

Thank you Ms. imoldfashioned! :)

Viintage Betty

TessTrueheart

Vintage Betty said:
There are some very interesting points to be made in favor/against vintage vs reproduction suits.

I'll try to write up something sometime, but first, I'd be interested to see if anyone has any opinions on the subject.

I, for one, am very interested in any kind of information regarding this! And thank you for the tip on buttons! Occasionally swedish Ebay will have sets of vintage buttons up for auction, if I have a repro suit made, I'll probably get vintage buttons for it.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Did you hear the "thunk" of my jaw dropping over that jacket all the way across the country VB? Gosh, that's a beauty! I love the beading and the button placement and I'm a sucker for those broad "sailorish" collars. The necklace is really pretty too.

Vintage Betty

MissS said:
Vintage Betty, I have suit envy. Re requests, do you have any pant suits you could post?

Hello MissS-I'm sorry that I have been the cause of your envy! It's important to note that I started collecting suits when no one wanted them, and so they were simply "given" to me.

I hung around an antique store (I had a crush on one of the brothers there) and I got some clothes when they found them in the furniture occasionally. I think that happened 2 or 3 times total.

I actually don't own any vintage pantsuits. I also don't own any vintage pants - don't ask me why; I guess I'm just a coat and jacket person. Would you like to see reproductions?

Vintage Betty

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
This stunning entry (photo)

Sadly, the photograph pays poor homage to how beautiful this suit is in reality. It was really breathtaking, I kid you not, and looked as though it had been tailored for Lola. This is the quality of suit that Jackie Kennedy or Grace Kelly would have been proud to wear - trust me.
LOLA_VALENTINE003-1.jpg

Vintage Betty

imoldfashioned said:
Did you hear the "thunk" of my jaw dropping over that jacket all the way across the country VB? Gosh, that's a beauty! I love the beading and the button placement and I'm a sucker for those broad "sailorish" collars. The necklace is really pretty too.

Thank you for the nice words! Yes, this is a favorite that I'm definately keeping. If I was younger with less experience purchasing coats and jackets I might have passed on this jewel.

You see, I found it all wrinkled with cobwebs and dust. And when I say wrinkled, I mean wadded into a ball and than somewhat smoothed out again. If memory serves, someone stuck it on a wire hanger and I found it in that condition. I'm sure the price of this beauty was less than $65, I'm pretty sure it was $45.

Just wanted to state those facts, as sometimes things aren't what they appear to be.

Vintage Betty

Smuterella

One Too Many
PADDY said:
Sadly, the photograph pays poor homage to how beautiful this suit is in reality. It was really breathtaking, I kid you not, and looked as though it had been tailored for Lola. This is the quality of suit that Jackie Kennedy or Grace Kelly would have been proud to wear - trust me.
LOLA_VALENTINE003-1.jpg

that looks like the Bettie Page "Annette" dress

and you both look gorgeous

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Vintage Betty said:
Thank you for the nice words! Yes, this is a favorite that I'm definately keeping. If I was younger with less experience purchasing coats and jackets I might have passed on this jewel.

You see, I found it all wrinkled with cobwebs and dust. And when I say wrinkled, I mean wadded into a ball and than somewhat smoothed out again. If memory serves, someone stuck it on a wire hanger and I found it in that condition. I'm sure the price of this beauty was less than $65, I'm pretty sure it was $45.

Just wanted to state those facts, as sometimes things aren't what they appear to be.

Vintage Betty

What an unbelievable price! I'm so glad you, someone who appreciates it, found it VB.

Vintage Betty

Matt Deckard said:
Excellent shot PADDY.

Both of you are very well put together. I'm hoping you hit the town in those outfits often.

Agreed! FABULOUS! :eusa_clap

However, I'm a little confused with her suit. Where's the break in the jacket? Waist or lower? I can't tell..

:eek:fftopic: Is Lola a model? I just don't see many "every day" ladies standing in that pose, so just wondering. She's very pretty (And you look very very happy Paddy ;) )

Lola Valentine

One of the Regulars
Smuterella - That's because it is lol

Vintage Betty - It's actually a dress, which buttons up the front, and has a sash around the waist. And no I'm not a model, but thank you for the compliment. I never even realised I was standing in a funny pose. It's the way i always stand :eek:

MissS

A-List Customer
Vintage Betty said:
I hung around an antique store (I had a crush on one of the brothers there) and I got some clothes when they found them in the furniture occasionally. I think that happened 2 or 3 times total.

I actually don't own any vintage pantsuits. I also don't own any vintage pants - don't ask me why; I guess I'm just a coat and jacket person. Would you like to see reproductions?

Vintage Betty

This made me laugh! Oh, I haven't had a good crush for a while (ahem, which makes my man happy)!

Yes, I would love to see any reproduction pant suits you have. Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80