Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ladies suits

MissHannah

One Too Many
I just won this beauty on Ebay - $52 including shipping. An absolute bargain in my opinion!

yells1.jpg
yells5.jpg

yells9.jpg
yells4.jpg

miserabelle

One of the Regulars
I settled on that blue colour that I mentioned, my mom says she's going to start working on it this week so I'll post pictures when it's done ^-^

xxx

hepkitten

One of the Regulars
Miss Hannah, I saw that suit and was sorely tempted, but that color makes me look 3 days dead. I'm glad you got it!

Was lusting after a teal blue Lili Ann this week, but I knew it'd go far beyond my pocketbook...and it did...

*sigh*

Vintage Betty, your suits are fabulous. Eating these pics up like candy.

jtcarrey

A-List Customer
I have a suit!

A friend of mine was able to acquire a 1940's blue gaberdine suit for me, it was my very first vintage outfit of my own! (having only been wearing vintage since December) also the hat was acquired at the same time... I'm trying to make my collection grow though, I would love to have more and more suits, anyway, here is a pic of my suit from when I went to the Cicada Club in January:
l_9d8aa737861b415b5ab36322240c3b76.jpg

I also have another suit, but I'm not sure what year it is, I thought 1940's, but my friend said early to mid 1930's, so my guess is as good as any, oh yea, and sure the hat isn't a perfect match, but it was NOS 1940's, so I had to wear it! lol here's a pic of that suit from last week at Cicada (come visit me hah):
l_7aee12cb749d55963ae2af0799c16b94.jpg

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
BTW I just listed a gorgeous Navy 40's jacket that doesn't fit me on Classifieds......just in case you ladies fancied a peek. I'm sick to let it go as it's a real beauty but it's either that or breast reduction!!!!:(

D

Deleted member 3716

Smuterella said:
OK, it fits perfectly, I didn't take pics of it on as I feel rotten and look worse but here are pics of it on the hanger:

2008_03270017.jpg

2008_03270018.jpg

2008_03270019.jpg

its lovely smuterella!
now all we need is pictures of you wearing it! :)

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Just seen this ad in a UK NEWSPAPER (Photo)

Thought some of our UK ladies might be interested in this, as it has a vintage look to it. Hope it's of some help [huh]

IPODSANDPHONES001.jpg

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
PADDY said:
Thought some of our UK ladies might be interested in this, as it has a vintage look to it. Hope it's of some help [huh]

IPODSANDPHONES001.jpg
Thank you, PADDY. When I saw the model and the suit I thought it was from a 1960s newspaper (I love the 1960s), then I saw the shoes and read the post and gasped happily when I realized it's new. It's a beautiful, classic look that gives me hope after seeing those ugly Target offerings yesterday.

RevWarTaylor

New in Town
Guys I just picked up a womens suit here in Williamsburg Va, absoulutly beautiful! Pics to come...button holes worked in off pink purple twist, beautiful stitching through out, fuctioning cuff buttons, peaked lappel....ill post pics when I get home tonight....matching skirt too!

The cool thing is that its dated 4/45

Neal

Fifties*Freak

Familiar Face
blue_suit1f.JPG

Did you get this one off of ebay? There was one just like it listed and I forgot to bid. It was relisted and I forgot to bid the 2nd time and I was so mad at myself!!

Here I am in my Lilli Ann
Picture6023a.jpg

Vintage Betty

Catching up...

Thank you imoldfashioned, for the nice compliment on the beaded jacket ownership. :)

Thank you to everyone who complimented the black beaded jacket!

MissS, I will start pulling reproduction pant suits for you. I will also add some comments in case you are thinking of purchasing some yourself.

Paddy: Great eye! I love the suit you posted; thank you!

Fifties*Freak: Great to know there are others who like beaded suits too! And as I've already told you, you look STUNNING in that Lilli Ann Suit!

Back to more photos...

lawrawr

New in Town
Vintage Betty said:
1930's Brown Wool Curvy Pinstripe Suit, Part 1

...Somewhere in the Lounge there is a discussion about this suit, but I can't find it...

1930s_brownsuit1b.JPG
1930s_brownsuit1g.JPG

I just purchased a suit that's nearly identical to the one Betty posted. Forgive the hanger pics - worn, the shape is pretty much the same as the one above. I couldn't get a good shot of me wearing it -- all my self-timer photos came out way too dark.
P1030356.JPG.jpg
P1030354.JPG.jpg

P1030360.JPG.jpg

P1030361.JPG.jpg
P1030359.JPG.jpg

I couldn't find anything with a similar cut on ebay or vintage clothing sites, so I was excited to find the previous one. I also searched for the thread about it, but found nothing.

Here's the info I found on J.B. Simpson -- custom-fit suit manufacturer from Chicago. Considering that the label inside says it's for a Mr. L. Brumfield, I suspect this one started out as a man's suit... what do you guys think?

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
lawrawr said:
I just purchased a suit that's nearly identical to the one Betty posted. Forgive the hanger pics - worn, the shape is pretty much the same as the one above. I couldn't get a good shot of me wearing it -- all my self-timer photos came out way too dark.
P1030356.JPG.jpg
P1030354.JPG.jpg

I adore the fabric, it's so sharp!

I've seen several booklets from the 40's on how to make a ladies suit from a man's suit so perhaps that's what happened here? I defer to Vintage Betty though, she's our resident expert.

Vintage Betty

lawrawr said:
P1030356.JPG.jpg
P1030354.JPG.jpg

P1030360.JPG.jpg

P1030361.JPG.jpg
P1030359.JPG.jpg

I couldn't find anything with a similar cut on ebay or vintage clothing sites, so I was excited to find the previous one. I also searched for the thread about it, but found nothing.

Here's the info I found on J.B. Simpson -- custom-fit suit manufacturer from Chicago. Considering that the label inside says it's for a Mr. L. Brumfield, I suspect this one started out as a man's suit... what do you guys think?

That's so interesting!

I think my suit was discussed in the men's suit thread (the really really long one). I searched it, but I didn't find it, so I am just not sure where it is. :eusa_doh:

imoldfashioned said:
I adore the fabric, it's so sharp!

I've seen several booklets from the 40's on how to make a ladies suit from a man's suit so perhaps that's what happened here? I defer to Vintage Betty though, she's our resident expert.

I've never heard of this, but it's really interesting! And thanks for imoldfashioned for calling me an expert, but I think I just shop too much! lol

Based on the label, and the darting in the bust, it does appear to be a man's suit. I've never seen that type of darting in all the time I've been collecting vintage suits and the kick pleat seems awfully high, but perfect if it's a converted set of pants. The bust darts are very common today, but I've never seen them in a vintage suit in the style represented.

Now it makes me want to get my suit out and give it a once over. Maybe I've been wearing a man's suit too?

We can compare points, but it would explain the skeleton interior in both suits. I just found another minor version of a skeleton interior this weekend and I will be posting pics shortly.

Hmmm....imoldfashioned, can you post some details of your booklets? The information might clear up this mystery.

Vintage Betty

KObalto

One of the Regulars
Matt Deckard said:
The former Duke of Windsor and his wife. He was known for dressing well. He abdicated the throne of Great Britain to his brother because he was in love with a women who had been married twice before and divorced. Public sentiment was against her and her past so he gave up the kingdom in favor of love.

The Duke was also known for beign a nazi sympathizer.
Yes, I think the Duke was best known for:
1: abdicating the throne,
2: being a Nazi sympathizer, and
3: being one of the best dressed men of the 20th Century, lending his name to the Windsor knot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80