Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ladies, what is the ideal male for you?

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Isabel thanks you too! :)

She considers her maternal grandpa to be the ideal male.

IsiinChile.jpg

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Que linda, Isabel!

I think the ideal one is the one that you can't live without...

in my case...
l_30d60d30ba27b751672f278c03c98011.jpg

Musical, wears vintage. can fix anything, cooks beautifully, honest, hard-working, faithful, funny, smart, sexy, exotic, polite, leftist, original, and all that!

17 years of wedded bliss.

Spiffy

A-List Customer
You guys, we're gonna get in trouble!;)

Chemistry to me is most important. If we can have conversations that make me laugh hysterically, blush, and then get really flirty-argumentative, then he's golden.

Suits/hats/vintage-ness is all great, but I figure I can always convert him later!lol

Fedord Spaniard

One of the Regulars
Cool thread marc, i think i might start one called "gentlemen what is the ideal lady fo you" j/k hahaha. i hope this thread gets just as interestin as the other one.

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
My ideal man?

I guess I'll know him when I speak to him, but in the mean time I've had many opportunities to make my list of un-ideal qualities, so I guess that's half the process[huh]

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
one who ballroom dances with you

My now 16 years+ DH and I met in a ballroom dance lesson. He has a "killer" move in Night Club Two Step that when we first started dancing together and he did it, it literally stopped me on the dance floor! Woohoo! All these years later we're still dancing together, and now our two kids go ballroom dancing with us. When he discovered vintage clothing along with me and got hooked himself right away is waaay good for me- seeing my hubby putting on his vintage WWII Army Air Corp Captain's uniform for the first time, well that is the best!

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
After over a year without a date, my ideal man criteria had gradually narrowed to just the one, immovable requirement - that he be taller than me. lol

I was *hoping* for one with an appreciation of vintage (if not a vintage style himself), someone who could drive, who lived on his own, who earned the same or more money than me (got utterly fed up of having to support and/or ferry exes around!), who was funny, good looking, and dark haired, and who thought I was the bees knees! Well, when someone turned up, he was taller than me even in 5 inch heels, has cars, houses and his own money, is funny and good looking ... but he's blonde. Well, greyish blonde. Oh well, can't win em all! lol

Foofoogal

Banned
Love the name Isabel. Such a precious baby. :eusa_clap
------------------------------------------

Honey and I are complete opposites but after nearly 34 years I still get giddy when he is near me.
I had a long list and had to throw it away. lol

Knowing he loves me more than anyone on earth is a great ideal.

HeiligeGlut

New in Town
Intelligent, geeky, be amused by me (I amuse myself enough that he doesn't need to be particularly funny on his own, but ideally he'll have enough of a sense of humor not to get peeved by my rampant silliness), big on the "taking care of a family" thing, tall enough that I can wear really high heels and still be at least a couple inches shorter, enjoys eating (I love baking and have had boyfriends who barely eat anything, and it just doesn't work out...). Ideally also has tolerable taste in music and likes to read. Odd list, but fortunately there's at least one guy in the world like that, and I found him. ;)

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
I'm a pessimist, and fully intend to be an old maid living in a cottage in the middle of the woods with a bunch of cats :rolleyes: a MUCH more peaceful and enjoyable life. Now i just have to find the money to do so.

If I were to find the "ideal male" he would have to
A: be TRUSTWORTHY. (that's really all I need)
B: be a Christian
C: be able to stand on his own two feet (I can't stand women who boss their men around like crazy "No! Herald, you can not wear that tie, and have you done the dishes yet? I refuse to be that woman and he'd better not let me.)
D: Basically I need Rhett Butler. Strong, dominating, but still doting and kind, When I run into Rhett he can sweep me off my feet (or out of my cottage) any day.

Edward

Bartender
Darhling said:
Taller than me when I am wearing my 5 inch Louboutins.
Fleur De Guerre said:
After over a year without a date, my ideal man criteria had gradually narrowed to just the one, immovable requirement - that he be taller than me. lol

It's an extremely common desire among ladies, it seems, to meet a man taller than them. I've even known one or two who point blank refused to consider an otherwise great guy on that basis. Never could figure out what the issue was there. [huh]

Spiffy said:
Suits/hats/vintage-ness is all great, but I figure I can always convert him later!lol

A very good female friend on mine once opined that whereas men look for "the ideal woman" who ticks all their boxes, women tend to view men as raw material which can be moulded into their ideal man. I think there's a lot of truth to that. lol Only becomes a problem if/when it transpires that he isn't actually inclined to develop an interest in certain things. :)

DaisieWilde

Familiar Face
Perhaps I am the ultimate pessimist of the group. I used to think I knew what my ideal was and thought I had him for 9 years. My first reaction is to say that my ideal wasn't an ideal at all. However, I would be lying if I said so.

But overall, my ideal was my ex-husband. Extremely intelligent (an astrophysicist!), caring, loving, health conscious (I always compared him to the Greek statues I studied in college as an archaeologist), well-tempered, hard working (fantastic work ethic), and we'd have wonderful conversations about life. He never spoke to me like I was less intelligent than he, although he can comprehend some of the most complex theories I shall never begin to understand. We were driven, his PhD and my MA kept us busy. We were always challenging each other in thought and in action.

We were opposites in a way, me the art and more creative being with him on the logical, scientific side. He was the yin to my yang, one never without the other, in constant flux and always having that small dollop of the other within.

I hope to find companionship like that again. At this point, being so raw from the divorce, it's hard to see that I ever could. At least our end was never ugly...there was some resentment, but we are still friends.

Oh good grief, what a damper I just put on this thread. I'm two cats on the road to old maid/crazy lady status.

Foofoogal

Banned
I'm two cats on the road to old maid/crazy lady status.

I seriously doubt it. With your looks and resume (if you may) they will come out of the woodwork. Sorry for your heartache though and he does seem like a hard act to follow but lots of fish in this sea you know.
Welcome to the FL.:)

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Edward said:
It's an extremely common desire among ladies, it seems, to meet a man taller than them. I've even known one or two who point blank refused to consider an otherwise great guy on that basis. Never could figure out what the issue was there. [huh]
I can't speak for all women, but personally, when I see a woman with a noticeably shorter man, be it a couple on the street or Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes, I think to myself that they look utterly ridiculous, and I have no desire to be the object of (my own) ridicule. I suppose it goes along with being tall all your life, most of my female friends are significantly shorter than me and I tend to crouch in group shots so I don't stick out as I think that looks silly too. Personal aesthetics I guess! Part of it may be a subconscious desire to be with a man who can be a protector, like a primal instinct type thing, and a skinny weedy short bloke wouldn't be up to the job! lol But I know plenty of girls who like weedy indie boys so that is also not something that applies to all women!

Edward said:
A very good female friend on mine once opined that whereas men look for "the ideal woman" who ticks all their boxes, women tend to view men as raw material which can be moulded into their ideal man. I think there's a lot of truth to that. lol Only becomes a problem if/when it transpires that he isn't actually inclined to develop an interest in certain things. :)
This is true and also very wrong! Most men are very hard, nay, impossible to change, if you don't like what's there in the first place you have to either compromise or not pursue it. Many girls and women I know (and in my family) have learnt this the hard way. But on the plus I won't make that mistake myself now (hopefully). Dress sense is one thing that one can usually at least gently prod the chap in the general direction of, but even then you might have a fight on your hands!

DaisieWilde

Familiar Face
Foofoogal said:
I seriously doubt it. With your looks and resume (if you may) they will come out of the woodwork. Sorry for your heartache though and he does seem like a hard act to follow but lots of fish in this sea you know.
Welcome to the FL.:)

Most thankful for the positive comments...boy it is hard to get used to the unmarried thing after almost a decade of being with someone. My greatest feat is overcoming the sense I've failure I've carried as a result of the divorce.

I'm trying to look at it as simply one act in the play that is my life. One act, in a multi-act work still in progress :)

Le sigh.

donCarlos

Practically Family
Edward said:
What I think is that it just doesn´t look right for the ladies when they are walking hand in hand with someone who is shorter than they are. They may not feel right, or maybe even embarassed. However, I´m experiencing the exact opposite - being refused for being too tall. (Well, my 6´5" is a bit too much sometimes)

And Marc, great name for this topic. I totally agree with men being called "males" lol

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
I've been told...

That I'm the ideal man by Ashley... She always tells me how perfect I am... I listen to her, I do things for her, I go shopping for vintage and I help her find stuff and tell her what looks best... She always tells me I'm the perfect shopping companion since I know enough about ladies vintage to be dangerous. lol

And as for the "Ideal" woman, I believe I've found her... She's quite interesting, honest, FUNNY and always keeps me thinking positive and is a very tender and sweet person... also a brat but, that's fun! I can handle it. lol

Rachael

A-List Customer
I have to agree that whether it be a house, car, or mate, getting a 'fixer-upper' is always a bad idea. And as to shorter men, I have a friend who was recently swept off her feet by an amazing gentleman who happens to be 2" shorter than her. When people mention the height difference, she replies that it is because he has her on a pedestal and treats her like a queen.

For me, the most important thing is that a man have respect for me.
My ex would swear all day long that the sun rose and set at my feet but he never once considered what I wanted or what was important to me. His version of caring for me was in fact a form of manipulation. After years of trying to make him listen, I moved on. Adoration is not intimacy.

oh yeah, and he has to know what he's doing. :whistling you know what I mean, I figured someone had to say it.

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
If I can't live with someone as they are, I'm not going to try to change them. Just let them be as they are, and if as they isn't right for you, let it be. I absolutely HATE when people try to change others. I'd rather live alone and have great friends. Than live with someone who will never understand that hidden resentment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran