Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ladies, What kind of vintage car would you love to cruise in?

~Psycho Sue~

One of the Regulars
I LOOOOOOOOVE me a cute guy with a hot rod....er....I am talking about his CAR!! lol

It takes a confidant man to drive this one:
1959%20Cadillac.JPG

50s caddys are smokin' hot rides! I would have Elvis buy me any color he wanted! lol

and since I am not a purist in any sense of the word ;) I also have a serious soft spot for RATS like this one:
rusty-210.jpg

Oh she looks so sad, I wanna put the key in and hear her purr! I would leave her just like this!!

Lillemor

One Too Many
I really prefer to be in the passenger seat. I'm ashamed to say that even though I've walked around many veteran car shows when I lived in CA, I never had the courage to ask/arrange with anyone to give me a ride in a vintage car some time. Most people I knew who had "vintage" cars had sportscars from the 60s which isn't my interest. I'd just like to experience the difference in comfort that sitting in different cars from the 1920s-50s.

:eek:fftopic: Do we have a thread that discusses seat belt laws today in these cars? When the steeringwheel became "collapsible" or whatever that's called?

Someone posted a photo on FD of a car I think they called a Packard. That looked like such a classic and timeless car. Generally, I've noticed that I like car designs from the mid 30s, late 40s-early 50s. Not that I can tell just by looking at car design.:eek: I have to read the descriptions or ask.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Give me a '39 Plymouth coupe, please --

1939%20Business%20Coupe_jpg.jpg

Small enough to fit in my driveway, and a really big trunk to carry stuff home from the swap shop.

As far as real-life cruises go, I once rode to Boston in a 1953 DeSoto -- a friend's dad took a bunch of neighborhood kids down for a ball game, but the muffler fell off on the way home. But while it lasted it was a very comfy ride.

As far as seatbelts go, they weren't mandatory on new cars in the US until the mid-sixties, but they'd often get removed by people who found them uncomfortable. My first car, a '69 VW, had had the seatbelts neatly amputated by a previous owner.

~Psycho Sue~

One of the Regulars
LizzieMaine said:

Small enough to fit in my driveway, and a really big trunk to carry stuff home from the swap shop.

As far as real-life cruises go, I once rode to Boston in a 1953 DeSoto -- a friend's dad took a bunch of neighborhood kids down for a ball game, but the muffler fell off on the way home. But while it lasted it was a very comfy ride.

As far as seatbelts go, they weren't mandatory on new cars in the US until the mid-sixties, but they'd often get removed by people who found them uncomfortable. My first car, a '69 VW, had had the seatbelts neatly amputated by a previous owner.

That is SO CUTE! What color do you want?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
If I get to pick the color, I'll take a nice deep green. Or, second choice, maroon.

There was a black one on display at the Smithsonian when I was down there this past spring, and I was sorely tempted to duck under the barricade rope and hot-wire it. But my friend who was with me wouldn't create a diversion for the guard, so I never had a chance.

~Psycho Sue~

One of the Regulars
LizzieMaine said:
If I get to pick the color, I'll take a nice deep green. Or, second choice, maroon.

There was a black one on display at the Smithsonian when I was down there this past spring, and I was sorely tempted to duck under the barricade rope and hot-wire it. But my friend who was with me wouldn't create a diversion for the guard, so I never had a chance.

lol lol lol lol

The Shirt

Practically Family
I'm lucky and with a car guy, who has a lot of car guy friends. So I've tried out a few. The fella currently has a 66 Impala, big and gold. There is so much room in that car. Reminds me of when I was very young and taking long trips with the family. Of course it gets a lot of attention.

The second (for the non-purist) is a '59 corvette convertible. Flat black with silver coves and red interior. It's 85% done. This is a blast to take out on Sunday afternoons and wander from town to town looking for the perfect burger and a brew.

I have a list of cars that I'd like him to restore for me after going to many a car show. I do love the thunderbird hardtops, white with white interior ala American Graffiti. Otherwise I have started to prefer pre 1953 cars. There is something I really like about the shape. I have a feeling though we will end up with a wagon next.

Vegas2008168.jpg

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
LizzieMaine said:

I second this choice...a coupe....simply because while they are still big...yes....I have a less difficult imagining me trying to say park it...etc....

Then again...I would adore either....

37-Packard-12-Flower-Car-DV-09_GG_01.jpg

or

37-Packard-12-Art-Carved-Hearse-DV-09_GG_a03.jpg

tooo....

Inky

One Too Many
This was my car for about 8 years, then i had to give it up to get the divorce - sad to lose the car, but worth it to lose the husband ;)

nice and roomy, lots of cargo space too lol

1955 Pontiac Hearse built on a Star Chief body/front end - originally from Waterloo, Iowa. All original, less than 20K miles and original color ;)

4115443532_d719b3d588.jpg

4114673345_5bf499fda7.jpg

currently working on owning another hearse or possibly an old truck or business sedan.

Lily Powers

Practically Family
Oooh, fun thread! When I go to vintage car shows, I wander and pretend that if I had all the money in the world, which car I would buy.

I'd love a 1941 Caddy - butter yellow exterior, oxblood red interior and matching rag top; white sidewalls, of course. Love the lines of the car and there's enough room for the dog *and* the boyfriend!

1941_Cadillac_Series_62_Convertible_Sedan_R3q.jpg

~Psycho Sue~

One of the Regulars
Inky said:
This was my car for about 8 years, then i had to give it up to get the divorce - sad to lose the car, but worth it to lose the husband ;)

nice and roomy, lots of cargo space too lol

1955 Pontiac Hearse built on a Star Chief body/front end - originally from Waterloo, Iowa. All original, less than 20K miles and original color ;)

4115443532_d719b3d588.jpg

4114673345_5bf499fda7.jpg

currently working on owning another hearse or possibly an old truck or business sedan.

Me too Inky, I have a serious WANT for old Pontiac hearses. I was a few seconds from buying one for $1200!!! But my subdivision has a law against parking commercial vehicles! I got my hubby cruisin ebay for them now. lol

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
Not so long ago I went cruising for the first time ever, in one of these:
1964ChryslerNewYorker4DoorHardtop.jpg

1964 Chrysler New Yorker

cruising.jpg

Me enjoying the ride <3

*martini*time*

A-List Customer
cherry lips said:
Not so long ago I went cruising for the first time ever, in one of these:
1964ChryslerNewYorker4DoorHardtop.jpg

1964 Chrysler New Yorker

Those are HUGE Cars...I dated a car guy...I have driven:

1968 Plymouth Sport Fury (supercharged and good for drag racing)
The *other* 1968 Plymouth sport fury (4 speed..blah blah fun but bad on fuel)
1978 dodge aspen super couple with t-tops. FUN!
Along with a plethora of other chrysler products. Dream car though?

1971 plymouth duster in "moulin rouge" (pink) with a 340 4speed...

Yep...I'm a muscle car girl ;)

*martini*time*

A-List Customer
~Psycho Sue~ said:
THAT IS THE ONLY CAR MY HUBBY IS FORBIDDEN TO BUY!!! ANY YEAR!!!! ARGH! Christine!!!! She might try to kill me! That is hubby's fav movie!

HAHA! Christine is one of my fave movies...but christine was a '58. She was a beauty...i would love a Christine!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21