Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ladies, what scents do you like on your men?

Tourbillion

Practically Family
I don't like Old Spice all that much. I don't like a lot of men's colognes, but the ones I do like, I"ll even wear myself. I do love English Leather however. More men should smell like that.

You could maybe check out a Bay Rum scent or a Fern (English Fern/Penhalions, Wild Fern/Trumper) too.

Miss Moonlight

A-List Customer
Personally I am not a fan of Old Spice, but that's how I feel about cologne in general. I don't like the scents and am allergic to them anyway.

Derek WC said:
Just a question, but what kind of cologne would I use if I wanted to ask a gal out? (Yes, I am terrible with words)

ThesFlishThngs said:
Scent preference is a personal thing

I agree and will add that my favorite male scent is just him, clean and groomed. If a man looks like he cares that he looks nice - just well put together, be it jeans and a T or a vintage suit- especially if it seems maybe it was out of respect or admiration for me, it goes a long way in impressing.

Also keep in mind that a lot of people, such as I, are allergic to colognes. Some of us very. Unless you know the gal of interest is not allergic, go without until you do know. Believe me, if she is allergic, she will appreciate your forethought and consideration!

Shirin

A-List Customer
My husband doesn't wear Old Spice, he doesn't like "spicy" scents, or even musk. I like it on some men, not all. It depends a lot on the chemistry I think.
As far as designer colones go, I really like Burberry, it's like a magic love potion for me if a man nearby is wearing it.;)

Audrey Horne

Practically Family
Derek WC said:
I actually don't like the new Old Spice, well, anything. Most of it just smells too pungent, and didn't think gal's would actually like it.

Just a question, but what kind of cologne would I use if I wanted to ask a gal out? (Yes, I am terrible with words)

I would actually recommend none, or use just the tiniest bit so that she wouldn't smell it unless she gave you a hug. At your age I just liked guys to smell clean and too many of them wore too much cologne.

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
Mrs. Mid-Fogey...

...says that Old Spice is too "old mannish". She buys me St. Johns bay rum and lime. She prefers them to the Royall items of the same scents, and I think they feel better.

Between Christmas and my birthdays, I don't think I've bought aftershave in years.

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
ThesFlishThngs said:
There's a cologne called Tabac that he used when we met in London. It still makes my knees a little weak when I catch a whiff of it, but of course that's due to our history together. When I had to come back to the US, and he wrote me letters nearly every day, he put a dab of it on each one. I don't know if it can be found in the US even, but we do have a small bottle and on the rare occasion I open it to take a whiff, I'm in romance heaven.

Tabac is available in the U.S. (it's German made) and rather inexpensive in the worldview of scents IMHO. A great one for sure!

Derek WC

Banned
Mid-fogey said:
...says that Old Spice is too "old mannish".

Funny how everyone puts old men with Old Spice, considering when my Grandpa was in his twenties in the 1940's he wore it... but I have gotten a couple of compliments from old ladies.

I started wearing it from looking at The Art of Manliness, they said it smelled manly, so I tried it and they were right.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Derek WC said:

For what it's worth; I wear a variety of fragrances from old Clubman aftershave to Jovan Musk (drug store stuff, I know, but I like it) to Canoe, Aramis, Obsession... no one really ever says they notice one way or the other.

It happens, however, that when I wear Hugo Boss my girlfriend tells me she likes it,... and then other women often offer the same sentiment. :eek: It's the only one that gets comments and they are always positive. [huh]

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
Don't...

Derek WC said:
Funny how everyone puts old men with Old Spice, considering when my Grandpa was in his twenties in the 1940's he wore it... but I have gotten a couple of compliments from old ladies.

I started wearing it from looking at The Art of Manliness, they said it smelled manly, so I tried it and they were right.

...get me wrong. I wore Old Spice for over 30 years as my sometimes only and usually main aftershave. It has two main virtues: it is relatively cheap and it's smell isn't overpowering. Beyond that, the number of women turned off by it greatly exceeds those who like it. The Mrs was never very happy with it and is glad I've moved on to other scents.

As far as being "manly" is concerned, intensity seems to be the big no no. Don't wear something too strong.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
HarpPlayerGene said:
It happens, however, that when I wear Hugo Boss my girlfriend tells me she likes it,... and then other women often offer the same sentiment. :eek: It's the only one that gets comments and they are always positive. [huh]

My husband has Hugo Boss - given by a friend, not chosen by either of us - and it is very nice. It's his "date night" cologne, when I wear Joy. It's not vintage, but it is very pleasant!

Scarlet Belle

Familiar Face
My hubby wears Old Spice & I LOVE it! He loves it too, the classic old mad scent! Hehehe, and the cute little ceramic bottle looks great in the bathroom.

He also wears Chanel Anteus, but for every day wear its Old Spice!

Honey Bee

One of the Regulars
Gosh, Old Spice...I use to buy that for my Grandfather as a Christmas present!
I like it still, makes me think of him :)
The Mister doesn't wear colognes as most give him a headache...he just 'smells' like him...pleasant and cozy

olive bleu

One Too Many
Miss Scarlet said:
Personally I love the smell of Old Spice. However, my dad wears it, so if any man I want to be intimate with wears it anything further than a handshake is a no no.

Unfortunately I think it reminds a lot of people of older men and their dads/grandads, even though the smell is yummy :)

same here..i love it, but it does remind me of my dad..that and wood shavings :)

The lady friend likes it when I wear Old Spice, but only the original scent. She doesn't like it if I buy the cheap body spray stuff in other scents, it's gotta be the cologne and aftershave in bottles. Fine by me!

StetsonHomburg

Practically Family
AtomicEraTom said:
The lady friend likes it when I wear Old Spice, but only the original scent. She doesn't like it if I buy the cheap body spray stuff in other scents, it's gotta be the cologne and aftershave in bottles. Fine by me!
Don't get me started on those axe sprays!
I have never worn them but I know they
smell pretty bad, but for sure Cologne is
good! :D

I had bought the el cheapo Old Spice Swagger, just to wear to work to keep the stank away, but if she catches me with that outside of the plant, she ain't gonna be happy with me :rolleyes:

olive bleu

One Too Many
StetsonHomburg said:
Don't get me started on those axe sprays!
I have never worn them but I know they
smell pretty bad, but for sure Cologne is
good! :D

my teenagers both wear those AXE sprays. I make them keep it in the mailbox outside, so they can only put it on outdoors.it's alot like insect repellent that way.

bellabella327

One of the Regulars
I personally don't like it as my dad (up until a few years ago) only wore that, and growing up my dad would slather that on in the bathroom (so it smelled like old spice for hrs afterwards), so afterwards me and my sis had a hard time getting ready in the bathroom for school afterwards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails