Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ladies with pipes

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
As in tobacco, not galvanized steel.

Ladies of the Lounge, have you ever smoked a tobacco pipe? If so, was it in private or in public? If not, would you be curious to try pipe-smoking? Why or why not?

As mentioned on another thread, I prefer to see a lady smoking a pipe. Believe it or not, from the 1920s to the '50s, a few of the more daring
city gals (a far cry from hillbilly grannies with corncobs) did smoke pipes. Below are some vintage ones (bakelite, briar and meerschaum) made especially for women. Could you see yourself puffing away on one of these?

ladiespipes002.jpg

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
My mother and father were styling fifties types, and she smoked a pipe - apparently the hipsters put a cigarette in the end or something. I have a tough time visualizing it.

An interesting side note... she wore hats, but he did not. His fifties was all about the hair... skinny ties and a particular coat you could only get at a particular tailor on Spadina Ave here in Toronto. I'll do some research.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Yeah... they look like little pipes though. Next time I visit my mom I'll take a closer look at them - if she still has them. So you've heard of this practice... any pictures?

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Pipes always seemed to be more for the guys than for women.
I think it was about 10yrs ago that cigars got pretty popular, and so was women smoking them...never did it myself but thought it was kind of cool the ladies going to their cigar room to hang out.

Dis

New in Town
I like the smell of a pipe and I like the smell it leaves in clothes as opposed to cigarettes which smell ghastly.

I've never smoked and I am unlikely to ever start but if I did it would probably be a pipe.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
lol now that's an unhappy couple! interesting how they try to advertise that smoking a cigarette is totally different than a pipe. Makes me wonder how many men smokers freaked out when they saw that ad.....or thier wives!:D
It's just a bad habit all the way around.

Hela

New in Town
Marc Chevalier said:
Silence. :(

Should we conclude that Fedora Lounge ladies and pipes don't mix?[huh]

I have tried it and I think I may try it again :D Those are wonderful pipes, I particularly like the last one.

DerMann

Practically Family
Found this picture some time ago and found it quite odd. Pipes, although not nearly as 'alpha-male' as cigars, are still very masculine, and to find a girl or a lady smoking one is quite a rarity.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Marc Chevalier said:
For centuries in Europe, the Americas and the Caribbean, it was somewhat common to see rural women smoking pipes.

And still in the Caribbean...mind you, I'm not quite sure what's in the bowl........

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass