Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Laer Brand Leather Jackets

mjunderw00d

Familiar Face
Does anyone here own one / used to own one? I’d love to hear some thoughts and opinions.

I was able to try one on at the Snake Oil Provisions shop in Long Beach, and was impressed by it. Great fit (more of a non-riding fit, I think) and the naked steerhide had a great look and feel, for something a bit more light or medium weight.

But, there’s not much info on the web about them, or even in the forums on here. I’m fairly inexperienced in higher quality leather jackets, so I’d love to hear feedback from someone who really knows what they are looking at.

I think the only source of info we’ve gotten on this brand has been an overblown pitch (youTube video) a few years ago from the owner of SOP when he extolled the brand as “the best jacket ever”.
It really turned me off, and I don’t think any members have purchased one to actually give it an unbiased review.

Last edited:

mjunderw00d

Familiar Face
I think the only source of info we’ve gotten on this brand has been an overblown pitch from the owner of SOP when he extolled the brand as “the best jacket ever”.
It really turned me off, and I don’t think any members have purchased one to actually give it an unbiased review.
Yeah, this makes sense. That’s why I’d love to hear an unbiased review.

Granted, SOP carries quality brands and products in both their leather jackets and other apparel. So for them to stock Laer next to Y’2, Double Helix, and Schott, that tells me they at least believe them to be quality and on par with their overall standards. But an unbiased review from a knowledgeable source would be so nice.

dannyk

One Too Many
I think the only source of info we’ve gotten on this brand has been an overblown pitch (youTube video) a few years ago from the owner of SOP when he extolled the brand as “the best jacket ever”.
I’ve never watched any SOP videos and just checked that one out. The owner definitely turns me off. I mean SOP does have nice stuff, and the owner isn’t some monster which means I’ll never order from them....but I don’t see how a video like that got approved. Someone thought it was funny or well done haha.

I think the price point of $875 puts them really close to other jacket makers that have custom options and well discussed hide choices- let alone Schott which has brand loyalty.
I think SOP may be their only stockist in SoCal, and that says something about a locally made product.

NYDRH

One of the Regulars
I've not seen this particular video but I've seen quite a few of their videos. I find them entertaining. They're over the top enthusiastic about basically everything and definitely to be taken with a grain of salt. The Laer jackets in photos don't appeal to me relative to what else is out there in similar design and price point but I've never seen one in person nor have a seen a third party review.

Ayeteael

A-List Customer
I have one. Picked it up from SOP in 2018, iirc. It was the first quality leather I purchased. Before that, I had a fashion jacket from Vince that I got from Bloomingdales. That was the extent of my leather jacket knowledge. My first impressions were very similar to yours. I loved how soft it is/was despite the weight and heft. I also loved the gold hardware that popped and is pretty stout compared to the zippers/hardware from other makers, and I enjoyed buying local (Made in L.A.) If I'm being honest, I was probably sold by SOP's YT videos since I was also shopping for a Schott at the same time. Overall I was very happy with it.

Since then, I've cycled through a bunch of other brands (i.e. Schott, Vanson, Aero, FCL, Valstar). I still like the Laer, but it wouldn't be my first choice. I think they're pretty good value when they're on sale, but at retail, I think I'd pick something else mainly because the leather is very dull. I've worn mine consistently for years, and the cowhide hasn't really changed or developed any character. I like my jackets to develop patina. Part of the joy of wearing leathers for me is the fact they become like second skins. They develop glorious arm rolls, fades around the cuffs, collar rolls, and other unique characteristics that are earned over time. My Laer doesn't seem to have any of those glorious attributes, but it remains incredibly comfortable and I enjoy wearing it (just not as much as some of my other leathers). I'll post pics of mine later. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Ayeteael

A-List Customer
I've not seen this particular video but I've seen quite a few of their videos. I find them entertaining. They're over the top enthusiastic about basically everything and definitely to be taken with a grain of salt. The Laer jackets in photos don't appeal to me relative to what else is out there in similar design and price point but I've never seen one in person nor have a seen a third party review.
This is how I feel about Ben from SOP. I certainly understand how his bravado and salesmanship can rub some the wrong way, but I find his act thoroughly entertaining. He's just trying to make living in a very difficult industry. I've never met him, but each time I stepped foot into their LB flagship, I was met by friendly dudes who are passionate about the clothes/wares they sell.

mjunderw00d

Familiar Face
I’ve never watched any SOP videos and just checked that one out. The owner definitely turns me off. I mean SOP does have nice stuff, and the owner isn’t some monster which means I’ll never order from them....but I don’t see how a video like that got approved. Someone thought it was funny or well done haha.
That video is very much who he is, at least on social media and other videos, etc. Has fun with it and doesn’t take himself too seriously, which I appreciate. Maybe that turns some folks off, especially if they tune in not knowing what to expect. I will say, the guy who was running the shop when I visited, super nice and helpful.

dannyk

One Too Many
That video is very much who he is, at least on social media and other videos, etc. Has fun with it and doesn’t take himself too seriously, which I appreciate. Maybe that turns some folks off, especially if they tune in not knowing what to expect. I will say, the guy who was running the shop when I visited, super nice and helpful.
Thats why I said he doesn’t seem like a monster or a bad person. Just not to my taste. Which is fine. We all have different tastes as long as we’re not hurting anyone.

mjunderw00d

Familiar Face
I have one. Picked it up from SOP in 2018, iirc. It was the first quality leather I purchased. Before that, I had a fashion jacket from Vince that I got from Bloomingdales. That was the extent of my leather jacket knowledge. My first impressions were very similar to yours. I loved how soft it is/was despite the weight and heft. I also loved the gold hardware that popped and is pretty stout compared to the zippers/hardware from other makers, and I enjoyed buying local (Made in L.A.) Overall I was very happy with it.

Since then, I've cycled through a bunch of other brands (i.e. Schott, Vanson, Aero, FCL, Valstar). I still like the Laer, but it wouldn't be my first choice. I think they're pretty good value when they're on sale, but at retail, I think I'd pick something else mainly because the leather is very dull. I've worn mine consistently for years, and the cowhide hasn't really changed or developed any character. I like my jackets to develop patina. Part of the joy of wearing leathers for me is the fact they become like second skins. They develop glorious arm rolls, fades around the cuffs, collar rolls, and other unique characteristics that are earned over time. My Laer doesn't seem to have any of those glorious attributes, but it remains incredibly comfortable and I enjoy wearing it (just not as much as some of my other leathers). I'll post pics of mine later. Hope this helps.
This is absolutely helpful! Thanks for sharing. First-hand experience is what I’ve been looking for. I’m with you — super comfortable off the rack, and it fit me great. The lack of online reviews and feedback has just had me skeptical. Sounds like maybe it’s more of a second hand or sale purchase.

Ayeteael

A-List Customer
This is absolutely helpful! Thanks for sharing. First-hand experience is what I’ve been looking for. I’m with you — super comfortable off the rack, and it fit me great. The lack of online reviews and feedback has just had me skeptical. Sounds like maybe it’s more of a second hand or sale purchase.
Glad to help! I don't know where you're at in your jacket journey or what you're looking for, but if I had a time machine, I'd nail down my measurements (sleeve length, chest measurements, and overall length) then just keep my eyes on the classifieds here to pick something up at incredible value, instead of getting the Laer. Then again, buying and selling to figure out what you like is also part of the joy/journey. Also, if a jacket just fits right, it may be worth picking up.

mjunderw00d

Familiar Face
Early on in the jacket journey. Some past department store pickups until now, in what will be my first quality purchase, hopefully sooner than later. Just been enjoying the research and trying-on process. This is all helpful advice. I’ll definitely be keeping my eyes on the classifieds now that I’m confident in my measurements. Thanks for the insight!

dannyk

One Too Many
Glad to help! I don't know where you're at in your jacket journey or what you're looking for, but if I had a time machine, I'd nail down my measurements (sleeve length, chest measurements, and overall length) then just keep my eyes on the classifieds here to pick something up at incredible value, instead of getting the Laer. Then again, buying and selling to figure out what you like is also part of the joy/journey. Also, if a jacket just fits right, it may be worth picking up.
So true. No amount of money spent, crazy nice leather, newest trend, great looking hardware, coolest designs, etc....will matter if the jacket doesn’t fit. You’ll find people here on TFL with 75 dollars Brooks or Kehoes that adore them and were disappointed in their super expensive Japanese jackets because the fits were off. Nail down your measurements as best you can and then spend wisely. But as you said messing up and cycling through jackets is part of the journey we all have done it.

Ayeteael

A-List Customer
Early on in the jacket journey. Some past department store pickups until now, in what will be my first quality purchase, hopefully sooner than later. Just been enjoying the research and trying-on process. This is all helpful advice. I’ll definitely be keeping my eyes on the classifieds now that I’m confident in my measurements. Thanks for the insight!
You've come to the right place. TFL is full of great people with encyclopedic knowledge of leather jackets, and most are incredibly generous with their time and advice as long as you are willing to put in a little effort. Good luck, man!

If you are in LA there are also some great resources to see jackets and try them on, as well as other members you can reach out to.

Kehoe’s are waaay under-appreciated ;)

dannyk

One Too Many
You've come to the right place. TFL is full of great people with encyclopedic knowledge of leather jackets, and most are incredibly generous with their time and advice as long as you are willing to put in a little effort. Good luck, man!
Absolutely agreed. I read here on and off for like a year and half before posting; just learning as much as I can. This is a great forum. It’s the right amount of fashion, history, culture. There’s other places but they usually focus on just one aspect; and are filled with snobs. If you’re nice and willing to put in the work the people here are so helpful and cover all the aspects about what’s fun in this hobby.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80