Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lapels

cptjeff

Practically Family
IMO, lapel width should be the exact amount it takes for them to close properly at the throat with the use of a functional buttonhole, at least in terms of notch. Shawl and peaks are exempted from that though, they were never supposed to be functional.

Qirrel

Practically Family
cptjeff said:
IMO, lapel width should be the exact amount it takes for them to close properly at the throat with the use of a functional buttonhole, at least in terms of notch. Shawl and peaks are exempted from that though, they were never supposed to be functional.

Good to see that someone shares my functional view on style. What do you think of having buttonholes and buttons go all the way up the coat?

cptjeff

Practically Family
Qirrel said:
Good to see that someone shares my functional view on style. What do you think of having buttonholes and buttons go all the way up the coat?

I like the one at top, but one midway up the lapel would admittedly look awkward. They do make 'em if you want one- they're called nehru suits, and they're typically buttoned up all the way. Nothing saying you have to though.

But yeah, I'm a big proponent of functional buttonholes on lapels. It also tends to create a nicely proportionate lapel.

Qirrel

Practically Family
cptjeff said:
I like the one at top, but one midway up the lapel would admittedly look awkward. They do make 'em if you want one- they're called nehru suits, and they're typically buttoned up all the way. Nothing saying you have to though.

But yeah, I'm a big proponent of functional buttonholes on lapels. It also tends to create a nicely proportionate lapel.

I also came to the conclusion that buttonholes all the way up would look weird on a modern (and by modern i mean 1920s and on) suit. I am however in love with some pictures of mens suits from late 19th century/early 20th with a very soft roll on the lapel and buttonholes all the way up. as can be seen here:
http://walternelson.com/dr/node/130

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic