Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Large Collection of Vintage New York City Photos

Dismuke

One of the Regulars
Over 870,000 of the 2 plus million photos in the New York City Department of Records have been placed online. The photos date back as far as the 1880s.

A nice article on it along with a few of the photos can be found at: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ritty-New-York-City.html?ICO=most_read_module

To access the collection go to: http://www.nyc.gov/html/records/html/gallery/home.shtml Unfortunately, as I write this, all you get when you try to access it is a message saying that the server is overloaded and the suggestion to try again later. My guess is, since it is new, everybody is trying to sign in all at once. But hopefully the traffic will slow a bit over the next few days.

Feraud

Bartender
I grew up and still live close to Astoria Park. Funny to see the pool was always crowded! To avoid crowds some teenagers used to hop the fence at night and go swimming in peace.. until a night guard showed up.
article-2134408-12BFD980000005DC-361_964x655.jpg

O2BSwank

One of the Regulars
These photos are fantastic! The ones in the article inspire me to spend more time looking through the collection. I would guess that other cities would have similar archives.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Unfortunately, as I write this, all you get when you try to access it is a message saying that the server is overloaded and the suggestion to try again later. My guess is, since it is new, everybody is trying to sign in all at once. But hopefully the traffic will slow a bit over the next few days.

Typical NYC online ops.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21